Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How would you approach games against teams in the bottom half?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Another chance for us to be armchair managers.

You’re GP. You’re scratching your head at how we’ve only recorded two wins against teams in the bottom half this season, but can’t buy any new players until the summer. What do you change? More direct football? Greater emphasis on free-kicks/corners? Change the strikers up top? Something else?

For me I’d allow opposition teams, especially at the Amex, to have more of the ball. It seems like the more possession we have, the more congested the box becomes and the harder it is for us to score. Our football often looks so good against the top sides because those teams take the game to us more, leaving more space on the counter. If we engineered similar scenarios against lesser teams, confidently luring them to believe they can attack us, there may be much more space for us to hit them on the counter with the same free-flowing football Potter has taught the players to play.

What would your approach be?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
With two forwards.

They are bottom half because they concede goals, having a 5’7” striker against 6’ CBs, mean we instantly remove an aerial option, so are naturally easier to defend against.

If we persist with Maupay or Connolly then give them help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm just imagining a game where two teams are stood off each other willing the oppo to take hold of possession, like a stand off.

I'm not sure. The thing is, very often the top teams struggle to break down teams that set up like Palace do to begin with. But then they have the quality to find a way through, forcing Palace to come at them more, resulting in more goals flowing for the top team. Or not, hence why Palace always manage to stay up despite being utter turgid to watch.
Im not sure what the answer is as we struggle to score goals however we play. That is the one huge issue we have, as well as being a bit naive at key moments (less so lately bar last night though).

Reality is, despite the box being so congested and Palace sitting so deep all game, we had enough good chances to have won that 3 or 4 times over. As against villa who played more attack minded against us yet we still battered but didn't score. As in countless other games this season.

I'm not sure we need to change our style of play. We just need to take some bloody chances. They're always there - we just take so few of them. Hence why we're 20th in the shot conversion rate. It's infuriating!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Nothing wrong with the approach I don’t think I have ever seen a team who collectively are so terrible are scoring goals.

We talk about the missing ‘striker’ but truth is none of our attacking outlets seem capable of putting the ball in the net unless they get 20 chances to do so.

Our most clinical finisher last night was a full back.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The same way... "just" score some goals. In the second half last night the high pressure made the team won the ball in dangerous positions plenty of times creating plenty of dangerous chances. It should have been enough but once again wasnt. There's no guarantee that dangerous chances created in another manner results in more goals. Its also quite difficult to bait some teams into having the ball and committing more players to attacking.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Sometimes you need someone with explosive pace to unlock a defence which is camped on the edge of their own box. It’s the reason losing Lamptey (and March to a lesser extent) has been such a big problem. We are so one paced and pedestrian. Lots of players who can play nice passes and cute like through balls but nobody who scares a defence by running at them.

What do we do to change that? Throw someone like Yapi in for half an hour and see if he sinks or swims, maybe? Lamptey being back soon will be a massive boost & we need to hope the Polish lad is ready to step up too. Although even that is no guarantee of helping with Maupay upfront.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
My approach will be to hide behind the sofa and wait for my wife to tell me we’ve won and it’s safe to come out.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Quicker through balls, and run at them (with the ball). A team defending against runners coming at you with the ball all the time will eventually concede a penalty, dangerous free-kicks, or get bookings. Passing it around in front of their defence doesn't get us anywhere.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
After last night from behind the sofa with a lucky rabbits foot, a horse shoe, a shillelagh and several glasses of something strong.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I'd like to see Potter switch to a 442 against West Brom.
Our 3421 worked because it accommodates our three CBs and encourages the attacking threat of March and Lamptey as wingbacks.
With Webster out injured we can play Dunk and White at CB and Veltman and Burn at fullback with 2 strikers up top, giving more threat to our attack
Big Sam won't set up West Brom for this.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Start with a more attacking posture.

We know we’re likely to control the game, so let’s be active and not reactive. Start 2 up top and 2 in midfield, bomb on the full backs. Get the team to show very high work rate and determination and get the chances flowing. Get ourselves a goal ahead and then we’ll worry about that situation when we get to it.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I'd like to see Potter switch to a 442 against West Brom.
Our 3421 worked because it accommodates our three CBs and encourages the attacking threat of March and Lamptey as wingbacks.
With Webster out injured we can play Dunk and White at CB and Veltman and Burn at fullback with 2 strikers up top, giving more threat to our attack
Big Sam won't set up West Brom for this.[/QUOTE

��well he will now unless you prefix the thread title to "Big Sam don't read this"

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
It’s not just the finishing, although that has been shocking lately. It’s also the final ball, as example last night MacArgie had the chance to put Welbeck clean in but inexplicably overhit the pass, he has that pass in his locker but fluffed it. There were other examples too where players got into great positions then failed to deliver the killer pass.

We need presence up top, Maupay doesn’t provide this, Murray did, Zamora did, Ulloa did, Welbeck can. If Welbeck is fit then he has to start on Saturday. I’d also be tempted to drop one of Gross, Trossard or Mac in order to start a second striker. So I’d start Welbeck with Maupay on Saturday and I’m praying Webster is back.......

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just occasionally, when about 20-25 yards out, in a fairly central position, if the ball falls to your right foot (that is the 'right' foot as opposed to the one you stand on, if you see what I mean) give it everything you've got and keep it down. Sometimes it works; if it doesn't it can be deflected for a corner, or ping around in the goalmouth like a pinball - and that can go anywhere!
Just try something the other lot don't expect, FFS!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here