Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Number 21 in the top scorers list. We are one of 20 teams in the PL.................that is why we are where we are.

It's the rest of the squad that need to contribute more goals then

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Are we hoping this becomes the next Ashley Barnes thread :) I do, but with us, not some other team taking advantage of his undoubted potential.

I think people are being too harsh on him. We're not scoring and he's getting the blame at our striker. It's not totally misplaced blame of course, but let's not go overboard. This should be a situation where we give him support rather than make him the scapegoat, unfortunately we're not able to do it in the stadium.

Let me at least offer the case for the defence of Maupay.

1. He's out of form and lacking confidence. That's clear. But these things are temporary. I believe his talent is still there. All strikers do through speaks like this in their career, even the very best. He's working hard and not hiding away. A goal or two can change things around quickly.

2. Second season syndrome in the Premier league is a thing, whether teams or players. He's learning all the time. He can get through this and come out the other side a better player.

3. I think he's missing the fans more than most. He's a passionate lad, he loves celebrating his goals with the team. I watched last night without the fake crowd noise. It's just so weird. I refuse to believe we wouldn't have won with fans there too suck the ball in. He is someone that I believe really responds to a loud crowd.

4. He's still young, I don't think that gets recognised enough. His goal stats are easily comparable to the likes of Ings and Calvert-Lewin at the same age.

5. Games like Villa and Palace, with their defence pecking their box, make it so difficult for him as a small, lone striker. Pace is part of his game, running off a defender's shoulder is part of his game. But back to the goal with Cahill or Mings tight to him is really tough. He's not going to be able to win aerial crosses and low crosses are getting cut out by packed defences. He would benefit from a second striker next to him in games like this. There were brief signs of life when Welbeck was on, but Welbeck also needs a run of games to get both up to speed and develop partnerships.

Let's back the kid. Potter will be working on how we can break down these packed defences, and working with Neal to do this, we can be sure of that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sadly he seems to take the wrong option once in a position to score pretty well every time at the moment. That shot (back pass) when there were players in the box last night was a prime example. He is totally devoid of confidence and good instincts in front of goal but I cannot fault his effort and contribution in most build ups, it’s just that final pass or shot that is not happening for him. I have no idea what the solution is, he is basically good enough.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Are we hoping this becomes the next Ashley Barnes thread :) I do, but with us, not some other team taking advantage of his undoubted potential.

I think people are being too harsh on him. We're not scoring and he's getting the blame at our striker. It's not totally misplaced blame of course, but let's not go overboard. This should be a situation where we give him support rather than make him the scapegoat, unfortunately we're not able to do it in the stadium.

Let me at least offer the case for the defence of Maupay.

1. He's out of form and lacking confidence. That's clear. But these things are temporary. I believe his talent is still there. All strikers do through speaks like this in their career, even the very best. He's working hard and not hiding away. A goal or two can change things around quickly.

2. Second season syndrome in the Premier league is a thing, whether teams or players. He's learning all the time. He can get through this and come out the other side a better player.

3. I think he's missing the fans more than most. He's a passionate lad, he loves celebrating his goals with the team. I watched last night without the fake crowd noise. It's just so weird. I refuse to believe we wouldn't have won with fans there too suck the ball in. He is someone that I believe really responds to a loud crowd.

4. He's still young, I don't think that gets recognised enough. His goal stats are easily comparable to the likes of Ings and Calvert-Lewin at the same age.

5. Games like Villa and Palace, with their defence pecking their box, make it so difficult for him as a small, lone striker. Pace is part of his game, running off a defender's shoulder is part of his game. But back to the goal with Cahill or Mings tight to him is really tough. He's not going to be able to win aerial crosses and low crosses are getting cut out by packed defences. He would benefit from a second striker next to him in games like this. There were brief signs of life when Welbeck was on, but Welbeck also needs a run of games to get both up to speed and develop partnerships.

Let's back the kid. Potter will be working on how we can break down these packed defences, and working with Neal to do this, we can be sure of that.

Yes,some great points here.
I'm frustrated with maupay and I lost it a bit last night and I wanted him off at half time,but it was palace and I seem to be a different animal when we play that lot.
The games done now and it's back to the daily grind of the league and it's time to get behind the players to keep us on track to stay up.
I think point 3 is very true with regards to maupay and I have wondered before if the fans not being there has effected him more than the others.
Maupay is certainly giving maximum effort for the team which should be acknowledged.
I'm going to back maupay and see what happens when we get back to the stadium at which point I reckon we will see a different maupay full of confidence and feeding off the crowd.
As miserable as I am today after last night,I think turning on our own players or looking for scapegoats gives that lot another victory.
Let's get behind maupay.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Maupay is still the man most likely to bag the 4 or 5 goals we need from a striker to keep us up.

As I said on the match thread. Imagine Maupay with the chance Mateta scored. He'd have taken one touch to control it, one to try and turn, and a third to shoot, which would have either been blocked, or he'd have had the ball nicked off him.

We simply need to upgrade if we're going to go the next step. I miss Murray's finishing so much right now

Both true. And it'll always be a problem for us until we finally sign this new striker. Maupay is good, but he isn't good enough to be shouldering that responsibility for us season after season.

It would be negligent not to sign a striker this summer

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Sadly he seems to take the wrong option once in a position to score pretty well every time at the moment. That shot (back pass) when there were players in the box last night was a prime example. He is totally devoid of confidence and good instincts in front of goal but I cannot fault his effort and contribution in most build ups, it’s just that final pass or shot that is not happening for him. I have no idea what the solution is, he is basically good enough.

Was it the wrong option though? From memory no one was in the correct position for the pull back, Wellbeck was, and then ran past it.
I don't think he's making the best decision a lot of the time, but no-one else seems to be

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Was it the wrong option though? From memory no one was in the correct position for the pull back, Wellbeck was, and then ran past it.
I don't think he's making the best decision a lot of the time, but no-one else seems to be

The shot had less power than a back pass though. I have no problem with a striker having a pop but if you’re going to do it make it a proper shot. I think he was in two minds and that probably an effect. He has been best when he doesn’t have time to think imo

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Unfortunately given the paucity of missed chances, Maupay is neither the absolute problem or solution. He is our best striker though. Got to keep trying, same with Connolly.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Neal is still only 24. Last season he scored 10 Premier League goals and looks set to get a similar or better number this year. Cant really complain too much at that return. Problem is we need another striker scoring a similar amount. Welbeck, Zeqiri, and Connolly have scored 4 goals between them. One of those needs to be massively upgraded next season.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The shot had less power than a back pass though. I have no problem with a striker having a pop but if you’re going to do it make it a proper shot. I think he was in two minds and that probably an effect. He has been best when he doesn’t have time to think imo

I agree with that.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Did any cross, or free kick or corner actually land directly onto his head - NO, as none of them were any good. Even that Gross free kick on the edge of the box late on, flew over about 4 players heads.
Complete opposite to the Stirling headed goal last weekend, the cross was perfect for him.

all our balls are played too fast or wide of the mark. The one chance he had first half was drilled in from Veltman at 100mph and could not control that.

Yes he overhit a pass to Welbeck and put it behind him, but he did not have the 2 simple chances that Lallana had and hit both over the bar.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have defended him long enough.

He is useless,cannot score,cannot create.

Get rid

Agree. Although I wouldn’t get rid.

Fine squad player. For whatever reason he’s not doing the business for us up front goals wise. Someone above made the Ryan comparison (eventually the stats will catch up). There could be truth to that.

Shame as I really like Maupay as a character. But my club comes first, always.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Did any cross, or free kick or corner actually land directly onto his head - NO, as none of them were any good. Even that Gross free kick on the edge of the box late on, flew over about 4 players heads.
Complete opposite to the Stirling headed goal last weekend, the cross was perfect for him.

all our balls are played too fast or wide of the mark. The one chance he had first half was drilled in from Veltman at 100mph and could not control that.

Yes he overhit a pass to Welbeck and put it behind him, but he did not have the 2 simple chances that Lallana had and hit both over the bar.

Please stop mentioning barn door Lallana. :smile:

Most disappointing “name” player with have ever signed with his goal attempts so far. Absolute rubbish, I won’t care if he doesn’t play again if he’s going to keep blazing chances wide and high.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It would be negligent not to sign a striker this summer

says every supporter every week since we got promoted.

Maupay is bang average and off form, his eyes look lost and frustrated a lot of the time, like he can't understand what's going on. he needs a rest at best.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
nealmaup.jpg

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I do understand football. You judge forwards on goals, I judge them on what they contribute in a 11 vs 11 game of football. With your very simplistic way of seeing it, Firmino wouldnt get a game in Liverpool last season (when they won the league), Bergkamp wouldnt get a game in Arsenal for his last few years or to take a more similar example, Kevin Davies wouldnt have played pretty much every game for a successful Bolton side back in the early 00s. Forwards are able to contribute plenty of good things to good teams despite not scoring lots of goals. Thats the proven reality.

You are right that some strikers can be effective even if their goal scoring is low. Back in the 80s we had Kevin Bremner - few goals, but a real handful. The difference is he had Gary Nelson along side him - full of goals.
Likewise, Firmino may have been moved on if salah and others weren’t banging them in around him.
Maupay is (supposed to be ) our single biggest goal threat.
Perhaps that’s unfair on someone who didn’t cost that much, but it’s not enough for him to have a well-balanced all round game if no-one else is scoring.

Here’s a picture of Bremner wearing only pants. And Nelson.0B65E420-BCA0-422F-A63C-834BE648C51B.jpeg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You are right that some strikers can be effective even if their goal scoring is low. Back in the 80s we had Kevin Bremner - few goals, but a real handful. The difference is he had Gary Nelson along side him - full of goals.
Likewise, Firmino may have been moved on if salah and others weren’t banging them in around him.
Maupay is (supposed to be ) our single biggest goal threat.
Perhaps that’s unfair on someone who didn’t cost that much, but it’s not enough for him to have a well-balanced all round game if no-one else is scoring.

Here’s a picture of Bremner wearing only pants. And Nelson.View attachment 134168

He is doing his best to turn his teammates into goal threats but they are not taking the opportunities, how can the blame then be (often) solely on him? The idea that he is "supposed" to be our biggest goal threat is just an idea based on what a striker is percieved to be doing. But there is really no rule or law or wisely thought through norm that prevents Trossard, Mac Allister, Lallana and so on to score goals if they get the opportunities. Once his teammates set him up for chances (their "supposed" job) the way he sets up them, then sure lets begin the blame game. As it stands Maupay is closer to Bergkamp than eg Trossard is to Pires, or Firmino vs Salah to take a modern example. Yet all the talk is "Maupay, Maupay, Maupay".

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Last night was clearly not mainly down to Maupay but in the cold (sober) light of day, I do think he really does need a break from the starting 11 for a bit and Welbeck or Connolly (Welbeck would be my personal choice) need to start a run of games so they can get a bit of form and fitness and to be able to build a relationship with Trossard and Mac Allister.

One defence of Maupay's poor scoring return is that he works hard and contributes to the overall team effort and that scoring goals is not the only part of his game. I would go along with the hard work and for a couple of games recently he played a lot better and linked well with Trossard and Mac Allister and I thought he might be turning a corner. But for such a good team player and our main attacking focal point, he's the striker who starts the vast majority of games in a team creating hatfuls of chances each match. And from 24 games, as well as only scoring the 4 goals from open play (including just 1 from open play in his last 10 games and 3 including penalties in his last 19), he has also only contributed just 1 assist all season. Putting his poor finishing aside for a moment and looking at this only, he is also not contributing enough in this area.

As a comparison, looking at the other players who usually start in attacking positions for us, Trossard has 4 assists, Gross has 4, Lallana has the same as Maupay - 1 - but from much fewer starts and minutes on the pitch. Mac Allister has 1 assist again from half as many games and much fewer minutes than Maupay.

Just picking out the strikers from teams around us, they all have more assists from fewer games despite (with the exception of Leeds) their sides not having as much of the ball or creating anywhere near as many chances as us: Callum Wilson (21 games) - 5 assists; Patrick Bamford (24 games) - 5 assists; Che Adams (23 games) - 4 assists; Danny Ings (19 games) - 3 assists; Pereira (21 games) - 3 assists; Mitrovic (18 games) - 3 assists.

His technique can be really poor and his decision making is way off. Even when his passes find the man, they are usually delivered at the wrong speed or on the wrong side and if he's got two choices to make, you can almost guarantee he will make the wrong one at the moment as well as not being able to execute it. I'm getting really frustrated watching the positions he's taking up too, his spacial awareness is not good.

As I've said before, I think the stats are catching him up and we desperately need a change up front, not just for one game but for a few to give someone else a chance and see if it does make a difference which I think it will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here