Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Excellent link play and movement is what he do, giving his team mates multiple chances to score every game. A good Premier League forward though just like everyone else I'd like to see him score a bit more.

Always appears to have to get the ball from out under his feet. He like Trossard spends too much time looking down than up and isn't an instinctive scorer.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
For me he dosent have that strikers instinct . The half chance snap shot or toe poke. He always wants to try and score the perfect goal with that extra touch .I couldn't see him scoring that Palace first goal in a million years .He just docent seem to have that instinct.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm sick of Maupay. He's an arrogant player, too selfish to pass and it costs us countless potential chances. He's like a rabbit in headlights when he gets a chance himself too.
He should be dropped to give others a chance now, if he doesn't like it he can put in a transfer request. Can't say I'll miss him.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
He's gets in the way a lot.

He's half decent at holding the ball up, but **** all else. Waste of space.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I quite like him when the team don't overplay it.

What I mean by that it. When there is a big up and under and he is chasing a single defender down he looks threatening.

When there is a lot of possession and the opposing team gets into shape defensively that's when I think he isn't clever enough to find that extra yard of space for himself inside the box.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Was crap tonight.

I’ve said for a while I think it will be like the Ryan situation, ultimately the stats will catch him up and we’ll offload him in the summer and sign an upgrade.

4 goals from open play all season from your main striker, for a side who create as many chances as we do is just simply not good enough.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In the 5 games he hasn’t started this year we’ve scored 1 goal picking up a measly 1 point. Our next top goalscorer is Dunk, let’s look elsewhere when it comes to a scapegoat, pretty sure the lad is our only chance of goals.

Think we need to be questioning why we play 5 at the back with one Striker from the start against team in the bottom half. Far too much caution in these games. Give Maupay a strike partner to work off instead of endless crossing, he’s too small for this style of play.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Can someone please help me with this?

25 attempts on goal, 77% possession and our leading striker has offered up absolutely NOTHING.

Doesn’t find space for chance creation, can’t hold the ball up, first touch lately has been on a par with CMS and he wins nothing in the air.

What does he actually do?

What he does do quite often is get in the way of our attacks and promising positions. He is the opposition’s best defender at times. His lack of intelligence and spacial awareness is so frustrating at times.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was crap tonight.

I’ve said for a while I think it will be like the Ryan situation, ultimately the stats will catch him up and we’ll offload him in the summer and sign an upgrade.

4 goals from open play all season from your main striker, for a side who create as many chances as we do is just simply not good enough.

Agreed. He's turning into a french CMS. Our XG stats are damning - its not all down to Maupay of course (Lallana had a SHOCKER tonight), but he is our primary striker who starts every game, and he's just not producing the goods in front of goal. He's indecisive, he panics, he always seems to need to take that extra touch, he invariably seems to choose the wrong option. He doesn't have that ice-cool guile that separates the average strikers from the good.

If only we could do a Maupay/Murray brain transplant.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Holds the ball up a bit. Pops up occasionally in the right place. Other than that his touch, passing, and ability to run with a football are probably about league 1 standard.

Even then he’s still probably better than our other fit options.

Can’t wait for Andone to get fit. He walks into this side at the moment.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the 5 games he hasn’t started this year we’ve scored 1 goal picking up a measly 1 point. Our next top goalscorer is Dunk, let’s look elsewhere when it comes to a scapegoat, pretty sure the lad is our only chance of goals.

Think we need to be questioning why we play 5 at the back with one Striker from the start against team in the bottom half. Far too much caution in these games. Give Maupay a strike partner to work off instead of endless crossing, he’s too small for this style of play.

He is the best striker in the team by a mile. There is pretty much no metric that tells a different story. I wouldnt mind a better striker, but there is none in the squad. People suggest Danny Welbeck is the "only real striker" in the team but look at his statistics - https://fbref.com/en/players/ce5143da/scout/10728/Danny-Welbeck-Scouting-Report

94% of all strikers in the top 5 leagues makes more passes per 90 min. 85% of all strikers do more pressuring on the opposing half than he does. 92% of all strikers touch the ball more often than him. Never playable and frankly it seems he is a bit lazy. Very unconvincing. But he got caps for England so he gets a free pass.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
It's frustrating because I like his attitude and work rate.
He's got a lot of charisma and confidence, and seems to care.
If the story about his half-time team-talk vs Wolves is true then that's exactly the type of personality we need in the dressing room.

I think his hold up play has improved. And his passing is much better (this aspect of his game used to frustrate me). His little nutmeg today was very welcome.
But he never seems to be in the right place at the right time, or able to find space. And when when he gets a chance, he fluffs it. But then....so does everyone else.

It feels like he's well overdue a brace of goals...

I dunno...maybe he needs Connolly up there with him.

Today was about as frustrating as it can get. I believe in the manager and the team. I believe in the process, but holy moly I think we are going to make statisticians re-evaluate how xG is calculated.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Seems to be a shadow of the player ever since he was dropped for Spurs away. No idea what that was all about but he has been a shadow of himself since then!

He’s been a shadow of himself since giving away the penalty against Man.U

Yesterday was the last straw for me. 7 goals this season from a combined distance of about 20 yards doesn’t justify the Peter Sutcliffe first touch, the shocking attitude and the frankly non-league levels of decision making. The moment where he nutmuged his marker, burst in to the box and then basically passed to their keeper was the final straw for me. Get him out of the side for an extended period. Rather see Zeqiri starting at this point.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Excellent link play and movement is what he do, giving his team mates multiple chances to score every game. A good Premier League forward though just like everyone else I'd like to see him score a bit more.

" Giving his teammates multiple chances to score every game "

1) 60 PL games
2) 7 Big chances created
3) 4 Assists

" A good PL forward "

A list of good PL forwards.....Aguerro, Jesus, Rashford, Vardy, Giroud, DCL, Salah, Mane, Firmino, Kane, Son, Bamford, Wilson, Ings, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Jimenez.

No...he is a PL forward. Thats all.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

You really do not understand football. He is a forward, he is judged on goals. Goals decide games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
" Giving his teammates multiple chances to score every game "

1) 60 PL games
2) 7 Big chances created
3) 4 Assists

" A good PL forward "

A list of good PL forwards.....Aguerro, Jesus, Rashford, Vardy, Giroud, DCL, Salah, Mane, Firmino, Kane, Son, Bamford, Wilson, Ings, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Jimenez.

No...he is a PL forward. Thats all.

Yes, he gives his teammates multiple chances to score every game but he wont get assists unless they score. His SCA (shoot-creating actions) are good compared to most strikers, his GCA (goal-creating actions) less so. Agree the strikers you listed (mostly) are better but it all depends on how you define "good" - to me the names above are excellent with another 25 PL strikers or so being good, which is where I rank the Maup. Unfortunately "good" is as good as it gets with the current set of strikers. I'm not saying he should necessarily lead the front line in the future but as of now, none of the players you listed are playing for Brighton.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You really do not understand football. He is a forward, he is judged on goals. Goals decide games.

I do understand football. You judge forwards on goals, I judge them on what they contribute in a 11 vs 11 game of football. With your very simplistic way of seeing it, Firmino wouldnt get a game in Liverpool last season (when they won the league), Bergkamp wouldnt get a game in Arsenal for his last few years or to take a more similar example, Kevin Davies wouldnt have played pretty much every game for a successful Bolton side back in the early 00s. Forwards are able to contribute plenty of good things to good teams despite not scoring lots of goals. Thats the proven reality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here