Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Defense starts with the strikers, attacking starts with the keeper and defenders. The job of the eleven players on the pitch is to score more goals than they concede. Why are City top of the table? Because their strikers are scoring? No, they rarely are. Why are United also in the top, because their strikers are scoring? No, they rarely are. They are up there because they are scoring as a team. Just like Brighton (strikers, midfielders, defenders) have chances to score as a team, something I consider Neal very involved in. His playing style is allowing someone to be the equivalent of a winger like Rashford or Sterling or Harvey Barnes or an attacking midfielder like Gundogan or Fernandes or Maddison, but no one is taking up on his offer.

Sitter after sitter, chance after chance, week in week out. Maupay is out or Potter will be praying the fans are not back in the ground anytime soon. It is beyond a joke. To compare the Albion to City is beyond absurd. Our midfield fpor a club opf our side is outstanding. Maupay has nopt been good enoiugh to finish off theor work or create chances for other. Potter is failing because he keeps picking a failing centre forward. Your knowledge of football seems to be from an xbpox instead of 40odd years of watching live games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
2 goals from open play, another 1 from a penalty and 0 assists in his last 20 Premier League games. That’s not a good look for him.

When you add in how much we have had the ball and the chances we’ve created in those games, it’s damning.

I don’t know how he can be defended. Someone else deserves the starts he gets every week (not Connolly!).

Sure, since he is not producing like his PL counter parts. And someone else obviously deserves the starts Trossard, Alexis, Gross gets every week as they are not producing like other attacking midfielders in the PL, and someone else deserves the frequent game time Welbeck, Lallana and Connolly are getting because none of them are producing anything when they get the chance. But what can you do, cant bench the whole team.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sitter after sitter, chance after chance, week in week out. Maupay is out or Potter will be praying the fans are not back in the ground anytime soon. It is beyond a joke. To compare the Albion to City is beyond absurd. Our midfield fpor a club opf our side is outstanding. Maupay has nopt been good enoiugh to finish off theor work or create chances for other. Potter is failing because he keeps picking a failing centre forward. Your knowledge of football seems to be from an xbpox instead of 40odd years of watching live games.

The midfield is one of the worst in the Premier League when it comes to scoring, the only way they are "outstanding" is that you wont find another midfield missing more chances. They, just like the strikers, are doing some excellent things out on the pitch - I agree with that - but when it comes to the quite important part of scoring, they are not doing a good job just like the strikers are not doing a good job at it. Why wouldnt I be able to compare with City, United, Leicester and other teams dominating games in the PL just like Brighton are? Or take Leeds, their strikers have produced 13 goals this season compared to the 11 of Maupay/Welbeck/Connolly. The difference is that their midfield produced 22 while the Brighton midfielders produced 7.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
He's been shite all season. Only eclipsed by Connolly who has missed numerous chances you'd be lambasted for missing in Sunday league

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
He's been shite all season. Only eclipsed by Connolly who has missed numerous chances you'd be lambasted for missing in Sunday league

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yep and the manager still puts him first on the team sheet with not even a thought of looking for other options.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
As sad as it sounds, I still think Maupay is the best option of our sorry roster of striker flids.

Welbeck on form is a 1/4 striker. Inferior record to Maupay and played at United and Arsenal. He’s undoubtedly got quality but how long do we need to wait until be gets to his best!

The other options? Dire or untested.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
As sad as it sounds, I still think Maupay is the best option of our sorry roster of striker flids.

Welbeck on form is a 1/4 striker. Inferior record to Maupay and played at United and Arsenal. He’s undoubtedly got quality but how long do we need to wait until be gets to his best!

You might be right be we will never know because Potter picks Maupay every week. Personally I would be converting another member of the squad into an emergency striker. Cannot do any worse.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Zeqiri has played 86 minutes in the 3 premiership games. How the hell has he not been given a chance over other failing forwards. He has done ok when I have watched him and looked more of a threat, but even then Potter tended to play him out wide left. To not even bring him on when we are missing chance after chance seems plain daft. If he is not up to it don’t put him on the bench.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Zeqiri has played 86 minutes in the 3 premiership games. How the hell has he not been given a chance over other failing forwards. He has done ok when I have watched him and looked more of a threat, but even then Potter tended to play him out wide left. To not even bring him on when we are missing chance after chance seems plain daft. If he is not up to it don’t put him on the bench.
Potter. Not a clue.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In my view Maupay remains the best attacking player we have, sadly.

That isn't saying much though. The others are all absolutely shit at this level whereas he is merely a bit crap. I knew Welbeck was going to prove to be utterly shithouse when we signed him, and he is. Connolly is like a 7 year old in an under 16s match and Andone is a hothead and no goal threat.

They're all shit, not just Maupay.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I like Neal, and he's a decent player. But he isn't premier league standard is he?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Defense starts with the strikers, attacking starts with the keeper and defenders. The job of the eleven players on the pitch is to score more goals than they concede. Why are City top of the table? Because their strikers are scoring? No, they rarely are. Why are United also in the top, because their strikers are scoring? No, they rarely are. They are up there because they are scoring as a team. Just like Brighton (strikers, midfielders, defenders) have chances to score as a team, something I consider Neal very involved in. His playing style is allowing someone to be the equivalent of a winger like Rashford or Sterling or Harvey Barnes or an attacking midfielder like Gundogan or Fernandes or Maddison, but no one is taking up on his offer.

You are right that City’s forwards do not score much (and Firmino) but this is more a product of Guardiola having the luxury of an expensive squad superstars than a strategy of “Oi Jesus, oi aguero - we don’t need you to score, stop scoring”.
It doesn’t work with a less-resourced team at this level.
The extent to which Potter is ultimately responsible for our shit show up front is debatable but fundamentally we need our forwards to score.
I’d sacrifice all of Our forwards’ extra work in the deep for one second of clinical finishing per game. Without it, they are the single-biggest reason why we are in the doodoo.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I like Neal, and he's a decent player. But he isn't premier league standard is he?

That’s probably going too far. Got 10 in his first season (if I recall) and has 4 this.

He’s average. But he can’t be our main man carrying all our hopes and is clearly going through a confidence crisis. He needs to be rested and not start every game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I don’t think we can confidently say that. He seems to be the first name on the tea sheet in terms of forwards. I’d prefer to see Welbeck given an extended run, and if he breaks down immediately then Zeqiri.

Neither Maupay or Connolly offer any sort of presence, so we immediately limit our options in terms of delivery. There aren’t many teams who play with small forwards..... (Liverpool, City, Leicester), but they all have superior movement to Maupay. Not lookIng for a big lump, but someone who has pace and can hold the ball up and help defensively. [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION] mentioned Tammy Abraham earlier in the week, who would fit some of those attributes.

I’ll try and stop commenting on this thread as I have literally nothing positive to say about Maupay inside the penalty area...

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Good as a goal.

I know there’s a lot of pressure on the lad to score goals, but I just want to see him do that and I’ll be delighted. Fantastic work.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
His work rate is superb tonight, just needs to read the offside line

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here