Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deserve to go down?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
We've been following the Albion a similar sort of time.
Bearing in mind where we have been I have to pinch myself to see us in the Premier League often out playing some of the top teams.
I just have a lot of pride and hope for the future and so pleased that I am a Brighton fan.
Each to their own.

And that’s fair enough but some think they are never wrong or there are others that because they think Differently are trolls,palace, bad fans blah blah blah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Think that about covers it [emoji3577]

I had a think about the discussion on the toilet.

I thought about failure and success criteria. Basically:

Failure = Relegation
Success = 10th and above
17th to 11th = Undefined.

I think anyone that sees survival as 'success' annoys anyone who sees say 15th and below as failure.

And anyone that sees 15th to 17th as 'failure' annoys anyone that sees 17th and above a success.

I'm somewhere in between. For me, clearly no one can label this season a success, because the club has aspirations beyond survival. But neither is it a failure, because failure is defined clearly as relegation.

We get another go basically. There are more positives than negatives imho. But appreciate that is reversed for some people.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i have had numerous arguments with bell ends on fb who think that we are a shoe in or have a god given right to be in the prem , these millennial plugs are seriously lacking grey matter , they are an embarrassment to the club and for me to point that out to them has got me a 30 day ban ......nice work nancy boys....get a ****ing life , harden up , get a grip...pillocks...!!

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Failure = Relegation
Success = 10th and above

I think anyone that sees survival as 'success' annoys anyone who sees say 15th and below as failure.

And anyone that sees 15th to 17th as 'failure' annoys anyone that sees 17th and above a success.

I'm somewhere in between. For me, clearly no one can label this season a success, because the club has aspirations beyond survival. But neither is it a failure, because failure is defined clearly as relegation.

We get another go basically. There are more positives than negatives imho. But appreciate that is reversed for some people.

You can’t beat the bog to sort out life’s problems [emoji106]

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm not convinced at the Fulham 'love-in'.
I've never thought they were that good and felt they were always even worse than us in front of goal.

Yes, a lovely traditional ground.
Yes, some decent players.
Yes, they try and play attractive football.
Yes, reasonable supporters.
Yes, a great day out.

But unlucky to go down? Nah.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Just for the sake of accuracy. There were actually five teams worse than us in two out of three of our previous seasons.

In the last ten years, there have been 30 promotions from the Championship. Those in italics below have gone down again. That's two thirds relegated. Most of them within the first couple of seasons. The bottom eleven places are currently filled by teams who have been promoted within the last ten years, with only Leicester and West Ham currently sitting above any teams that have been in the division longer. We are currently the only team who was not in the division at the beginning of the Premier League to have never been relegated. The ESL proposal tried to officially introduce a closed shop, but economically it has been one for some time. It takes a massive injection of cash to keep afloat and a stupendous spend to try to break into the elite. Of these teams, others have had higher finishes, but only Leicester and Southampton have achieved top half finishes in anything close to 50% of their years since promotion. I admire your passion for us to succeed, and share the frustration at not making the next step up, but I don't think that you are allowing for the size of our task. We haven't stunk anything out this season, we've been a favourite of the neutrals and offered one of the more interesting narratives outside of the top six. We are not quite there, but we have been competitive. Leicester away was the one time that anyone had an easy game against us. We have deserved to be part of this league. We haven't relied on others. We've fought for everything we have. It's another C+ season. A passing grade, but room for improvement.

QPR, Norwich, Swansea
Reading, Southampton, West Ham
Cardiff, Hull City, Crystal Palace
Leicester, Burnley, QPR
Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich

Middlesborough, Hull City, Burnley
Brighton, Newcastle, Huddersfield
Cardiff, Fulham
, Wolves
Norwich, Aston Villa, Sheffield United
Leeds, Fulham, WBA

Still fourth from bottom though

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Failure = Relegation
Success = 10th and above

spot on, THis season has been like placing 3 bets on a match, one being a cover and just about getting your money back.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Does anyone else, like the entitled OP " curse the day I was taken to the Goldstone"?

For me, going to the Goldstone for the first time in 1973 when my family moved to Brighton and becoming an Albion fan has brought about some of the greatest experiences and memories of my life, most of which have taken place outside of the Premier League, and I've met people who have become life long friends whose company, advice and opinions have enriched my life.

Still, each to their own.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does anyone else, like the entitled OP " curse the day I was taken to the Goldstone"?

For me, going to the Goldstone for the first time in 1973 when my family moved to Brighton and becoming an Albion fan has brought about some of the greatest experiences and memories of my life, most of which have taken place outside of the Premier League, and I've met people who have become life long friends whose company, advice and opinions have enriched my life.

Still, each to their own.

If you don't expect and accept that there will be far more shit days than good ones with the Albion results you are going to spend most seasons ranting or being in a semi permanent state of depression.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have come out of a game (watched on tv recently) swearing that I am never going again though I confess. Not so much these days but excitement is always back by the next game :shrug:

But yes, there are quite a few fans on here whose expectations far exceed the likely results and they get very angry and angsty whilst pointing fingers and feeling the need to blame someone that we are still at the arse end of this division.

Each to their own, as you say, but I have never seen better football or entertainment than has been served up over the last year or so. I accept that if winning is all that matters you will not be happy most of the time though.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I know there's a contingent on here who dislike the "look where we've come from in the last 25 years" argument. However, at the risk of upsetting them, I firmly believe we HAVE to look at our achievement this season in a historical context. Over the past 60 or so seasons (ie, since the Third Division ceased to be regionalised, and you can validly calculate average league positions), our average position is 45th. In other words, our performances over the past 60 or so years are - on average - those of a top League One side. On this basis we are easily the smallest club in the EPL (Burnley are the next smallest, with an average position of 34th. Palace are 30th).

We are also, out of the whole EPL/Football League, one of the teams which is most out-performing our historic average league position (we are 17th against an avge of 45th - an out-performance of 28 places...Brentford are top (23rd v 62 - an outperformance of 39 places) and Bournemouth next (26th v 58 - an out-performance of 32 places). I think we are next, just ahead of Swansea [I haven't checked every team].

Personally I'm absolutely delighted that we have finished (probably) 17th. We have one of the best defences in the whole Premier League, play great football most of the time, and have a young, exciting team (on the field and off). We definitely don't deserve to go down.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you don't expect and accept that there will be far more shit days than good ones with the Albion results you are going to spend most seasons ranting or being in a semi permanent state of depression.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have come out of a game (watched on tv recently) swearing that I am never going again though I confess. Not so much these days but excitement is always back by the next game :shrug:

But yes, there are quite a few fans on here whose expectations far exceed the likely results and they get very angry and angsty whilst pointing fingers and feeling the need to blame someone that we are still at the arse end of this division.

Each to their own, as you say, but I have never seen better football or entertainment than has been served up over the last year or so. I accept that if winning is all that matters you will not be happy most of the time though.
Are you saying you preferred this season to the promotion season to the PL or any promotion season come to that? If you have then fair do’s it does seem a little strange though especially as we couldn’t attend this season and couldn’t appreciate the day out even if we lost. The buzz of the Albion winning surely is one of the highs of being a football fan why wouldn’t you want that more often?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are you saying you preferred this season to the promotion season to the PL or any promotion season come to that? If you have then fair do’s it does seem a little strange though especially as we couldn’t attend this season and couldn’t appreciate the day out even if we lost. The buzz of the Albion winning surely is one of the highs of being a football fan why wouldn’t you want that more often?

Quality of football - tick
Going toe to toe with the best clubs in the country -tick
Winning against Liverpool at Anfield - tick
Ability of the players - tick

I don’t want to compare seasons but yes I have bloody loved this season, even with the frustrations, big club refs, not fit for purpose VAR

This is L’il Ole Brighton on the world stage - love it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here