Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Print media and football

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
The internet has replaced fanzines but do people still want paper?

Is there still a desire for quality content instead of the occasionally illiterate hyperbole on some social media platforms?

The excellent Football Focus feature on the Killie Hippo yesterday got me wondering...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I pretty much only buy magazines when I'm going somewhere by train or long bus trips, as I'm anti-smartphones while we also have a very nice football magazine over here. I dont think paper magazines got a future though, there's no money in it - consumers decreasing, print costs increasing.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Used to buy a paper every morning when commuting, but haven't bought one since March from when I've been WFH

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Mrs D7 subscribed to Apple News+ At the start of lockdown not bought a magazine since - cheaper than paying £6+ each for a couple of magazines a month, also used to get daily newspaper whilst at work, so that saves £1.60+/day as well

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I look forward to getting my When Saturday Comes every month. I like having some light reading in the house that’s not on an iPhone.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I try to pick up When Saturday Comes when I remember. Personally I much prefer reading on paper but I stare at a screen all day for work so probably just want a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The internet has replaced fanzines but do people still want paper?

Is there still a desire for quality content instead of the occasionally illiterate hyperbole on some social media platforms?

The excellent Football Focus feature on the Killie Hippo yesterday got me wondering...

I buy a newspaper everyday but it’s the iPad version. This is the same as the print version but obviously on an iPad. Same with some magazines. I guess you’d technically call this “the Internet” but it’s far more closer to the printed physical copy than a social media platform...if you get my drift. I don’t tend to read stuff on social media platforms as it’s usually a load of excitable tripe.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I have a subscription to When Saturday Comes, I think more because I approve of what it stands for than any particular interest in the contents.

The idea that football matches should take place on a Saturday for a start.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I used to sporadically buy The Argus and The Times pre-Covid for sports usually. None since March last year for fear of infection from the paper.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No.

The only paper I've bought in 15 years is bogroll. And when I've got around to installing a bidet...

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
When Saturday Comes is well worth buying.

...even if they do think we’ll be relegated this year.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The original post was about the quality of content rather than the medium itself. The truth is that national newspapers and the big media organisations and publishers in general are well funded and pay their writers to get accurate stories (although yes, that doesn't always work). Most websites just want clicks. So while many people seem quite proud to announce that they no longer pay for printed media, they are fooling themselves if they think they get the same quality of information.

I subscribe to When Saturday Comes for some of the sentimental reasons above, but the one unmissable media source for me is print-only, and that's Private Eye - whose sales, incidentally, have increased over the past few years.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The original post was about the quality of content rather than the medium itself. The truth is that national newspapers and the big media organisations and publishers in general are well funded and pay their writers to get accurate stories (although yes, that doesn't always work). Most websites just want clicks. So while many people seem quite proud to announce that they no longer pay for printed media, they are fooling themselves if they think they get the same quality of information.

I subscribe to When Saturday Comes for some of the sentimental reasons above, but the one unmissable media source for me is print-only, and that's Private Eye - whose sales, incidentally, have increased over the past few years.

100% agree. Whatever medium you choose to consume yours media, be that digital or print, you have to understand that quality journalism requires quality journalists. And they have to be paid. If we go down a path of looking to get everything for free, you'll just end up with an agenda led media who are simply trying to sell you things or influence you in a way that they deems to be beneficial to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here