Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kitchen extraction

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does anyone have a cooktop extraction system like the ones in the photo. How are you getting on with it? Does it work as well as the promotional people and material say it does?

Any thoughts on other domestic kitchen extraction?

[MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] - I know you have one and I will ask this afternoon.

Attachments

• DFD5FF09-1DD7-4945-9CB8-295E4DF17A22.jpeg
    DFD5FF09-1DD7-4945-9CB8-295E4DF17A22.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 344EBDCC-C913-4ACD-B277-B4B2F13A8958.jpeg
    344EBDCC-C913-4ACD-B277-B4B2F13A8958.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 203

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Does anyone have a cooktop extraction system like the ones in the photo. How are you getting on with it? Does it work as well as the promotional people and material say it does?

[MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] - I know you have one and I will ask this afternoon.

I’ve got one that’s about 5 years old in a place I seldom use. Utter bobbins. Go for the standard type (vented, of course). To keep the noise down keep the diameter of the outlet pipe as large as possible (typically the exit hole is 5” or 6”), and use solid pipe for the connection to the outside as the flexible hoses tend to resonate.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
That picture defies the laws of physics and thermodynamics.
Hot air only goes one way - UP.
To force hot air [steam] down from the top of the pan into that extractor on the hob surface would require significant and precisely directed down-draught.

"Utter bobbins" may be being a bit too kind.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Excellent use of the word 'cooktop' :clap2: And indeed use of the much-underused term 'extraction system'. Here's an image of my own personal kitchen extraction system

51aPRJvyXWL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Does anyone else have any personal favourite extraction systems they'd care to share?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
To force hot air [steam] down from the top of the pan into that extractor on the hob surface would require significant and precisely directed down-draught.

or simply a large amount of down draught, very inefficiently compared to an extraction hood. seems to be over-engineering a solution, whats wrong with overhead extraction?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
whats wrong with overhead extraction?

I want the cooktop to be on an island (or peninsula to be precise) . And I’m going for a low-level minimal aesthetic, ie 4 or 5 units/work surface against a back wall and the island in front and no overhead cupboards; a large overhead extraction isn’t fitting with my look so I’m looking into alternative solutions. It might be the case we put the stove on the back wall and then the extraction hood won’t be hanging from the ceiling.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Not quite true. Steam has a more lateral rise from induction cookers which I believe is what allows the down draught extractor to work. If it was from a ceramic or gas hob you'd be correct.

I did look into this briefly for our new kitchen but decided it was too expensive to justify when I've got the option to go up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I want the cooktop to be on an island (or peninsula to be precise) . And I’m going for a low-level minimal aesthetic, ie 4 or 5 units/work surface against a back wall and the island in front and no overhead cupboards; a large overhead extraction isn’t fitting with my look so I’m looking into alternative solutions. It might be the case we put the stove on the back wall and then the extraction hood won’t be hanging from the ceiling.

Have a look at ceiling extractors as well, they make some now that are really low profile to avoid the big ugly downstand.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

I have a client with the second one - he loves it, saved him having a overhead unit which would need hanging/ceiling strengthening etc.

It must be quite deep as the condensed vapour collects in a pot in middle and you empty that.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Your Herr'ness. Had the same thoughts when redoing our kitchen. Thought about a 'pop up' extractor which may work better as it raises above the pans. Google pop up extractor. Takes up a lot of space underneath.
Other options include not burning the food or opening a window. In all options remember to seal off the fire alarm first.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Massive silenced squirrel fan from a hydroponic shop mounted anywhere you like. Change all the air in the room in under a minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here