Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 12 years ago today 2009

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Dick Knight met Micky Adams at the Little Chef, no Olympic Breakfast and Micky left the restaurant minus his job.

FWIW I still don’t believe Micky would have taken us down that year, obviously DK and perhaps more significantly Tony Bloom did, Russell Slade came in but himself was gone within 9 months.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Ah Russell Slade, one of football management’s true enigmas. He holds the interesting achievement of managing all the way up from the Conference to the Championship, without winning a single promotion - at which point he appears to have stuck his career in reverse and slammed his foot on the accelerator.

The first time we had him at Grimsby (2004 - 2006) he did pretty well, taking us within a gnats hair of promotion back into League One, only bottling it and signing a deal with Yeovil before the playoff final instead.

The second time was an absolute disaster. By this time it seemed the man had truly lost his marbles, which he duly confirmed when he humiliated himself at a fans forum, after which he would fail to win a game in the two and a half months he would remain at the club.

I know he did a decent job in keeping Brighton up all those years ago, perhaps at a time when he still had something in his managerial locker, but I nevertheless find the fact that he has managed the best part of 1,000 games in league football without so much as a crumb of tangible success quite remarkable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah Russell Slade, one of football management’s true enigmas. He holds the interesting achievement of managing all the way up from the Conference to the Championship, without winning a single promotion - at which point he appears to have stuck his career in reverse and slammed his foot on the accelerator.

The first time we had him at Grimsby (2004 - 2006) he did pretty well, taking us within a gnats hair of promotion back into League One, only bottling it and signing a deal with Yeovil before the playoff final instead.

The second time was an absolute disaster. By this time it seemed the man had truly lost his marbles, which he duly confirmed when he humiliated himself at a fans forum, after which he would fail to win a game in the two and a half months he would remain at the club.

I know he did a decent job in keeping Brighton up all those years ago, perhaps at a time when he still had something in his managerial locker, but I nevertheless find the fact that he has managed the best part of 1,000 games in league football without so much as a crumb of tangible success quite remarkable.

What happened at the Fan’s Forum?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

What did he say at the Fans Forum?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Adams was an insane joke the second time, totally clueless

Jimmy Grimble

When Sanchez (or Ryan before) hit a goal kick to Dan Burn on the wing I’m always reminded of the time Micky played Virgo left midfield and deployed the same tactic.

Difference is that was Micky’s only tactic for 90 minutes.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Does that mean we won at Milwall that afternoon? Bloody weird day that was, finding out Adams had been sacked at 11am in an early opening London Bridge pub.

Would love to know how much of a Bloom decision that was.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Does that mean we won at Milwall that afternoon? Bloody weird day that was, finding out Adams had been sacked at 11am in an early opening London Bridge pub.

Would love to know how much of a Bloom decision that was.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes, that was 21st February 2009

Starting lineup:

Michel Kuipers

Adam El Abd

Tommy Elphick

Jim McNulty

Adam Virgo G (73)

Andy Whing

Chris Birchall

Dean Cox

Tommy Fraser

Jason Jarrett

Nicky Forster

Sub:

Adam Hinshelwood

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
MA MKII was the pits. The only highlights were coming from two down to beat Leicester 3-2 at the Withdean. Also, the JPT Southern Section Final away to Luton was fun even though we lost (maybe that was all the ale).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But Slade did keep us up, validating the decision

Never go back!

Has a linked in page where he lists his achievements as manager at various clubs.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/russell-slade-a5850a184/

I'm stuck between that's a bid odd and it's quite normal for people to accentuate the positive on their CVs.

Also appears to have branched out into protecting the personal data of footballers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53557706

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/project-red-card-football-data

https://globalsportsdataandtechnologygroup.co.uk/

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
MA MKII was the pits. The only highlights were coming from two down to beat Leicester 3-2 at the Withdean. Also, the JPT Southern Section Final away to Luton was fun even though we lost (maybe that was all the ale).

Well.....that first game of the season at Crewe where we won for the first time in goodness knows how long with a late Nicky Forster winner was a good memory. Had high hopes of the season after that one.....didn't last long as per usual :)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Don't forget knocking Man City out of the League Cup four days after losing to the nine men of Walsall - both extremes of the Albion spectrum in the space of 96 hours.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd almost managed to erase the memory of Mickey Adam's 2nd coming, such a shambles. I remember seeing the clip of him kicking off at Nathan Jones mid interview and thinking he'd lost the plot. Have some great memories of Slades tenure and the efforts of Owusu and Gary Hart (amongst many others)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dick Knight met Micky Adams at the Little Chef, no Olympic Breakfast and Micky left the restaurant minus his job.

FWIW I still don’t believe Micky would have taken us down that year, obviously DK and perhaps more significantly Tony Bloom did, Russell Slade came in but himself was gone within 9 months.

He absolutely would have taken us down. MA II was an absolute mess.

Shame he came back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here