Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Mingling with the Rich and Famous

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Oh and James Bolam (Terry Collier on the Likely Lads) quite frequently on the train down to Billingshurst.

Nodded at him and was always tempted to say Thelma Pet but never had the nerve, I'm sure he has heard it the whole of his career... :lolol:

Yes you have reminded me back in the 80's he used to catch the train from Littlehaven Halt. The station was nearly empty every morning apart me and him. He started to talk to me and for a period he and I used to chat on the train. I was apprentice at the airport at the time and he was doing a production in London. Really nice chap.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Saw Bobby Zamora on the tube when he was at QPR. Weirdly looked like he was off to training.
Saw Steve Sidwell & Glen Johnson on the Victoria line getting off at Oxford Circus.
Saw Steve Sidwell shit faced at Ascot 5 few years ago with the Reading team.
Been in the BA lounge twice with Fatboy Slim. Once at Heathrow, once at Manchester - the night after I had seen him at Warehouse Project. It was a Gatwick flight landing at 1.30pm and we were at home to Forest that day, I had hoped he was going and could give me a lift but it was Woodys birthday that day so he did not.
Had dinner on the next table to Fatboy Slim at Little Fish Market
Sat in Swiss First Class between Zurich & New York, the only other passenger was Victoria Silvstedt. She only drank bottled water, did not eat, and had about 6 LV bags in the cabin with her....
Ended up in the VIP bit of Eden in Ibiza with Mark Wright, Brooke Vincent & Jessie J.
Met Emily Atack and her sister at Warehouse Project in Manchester. Weirdly my mate knew her sister from something in Bedfordshire... both off their chops
Ended up on a flight with Georgie Thompson & Charlotte Jackson (at peak Sky Sports News era) to Majorca. The same time that the Brighton squad were in the departure lounge heading off to Seville on pre-season. Bumped into Gus, Tanno, Ankergren & Brez in costa coffee
Got in the same lift as Leigh Francis (Keith Lemon) at the Shard to go to Hutong.
Sat in Business Class on a flight to LA with Little Mix. Stood behind them in the immigration queue. Seemed most upset that despite having 'visas' they still had to queue with the muggles
Saw Greg Wallace at Jason Athertons Pollen Street Social. Bit loud and drunk

Just off the top of my head

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I've got another to add to my list. Last year while working I was staying at the Harbour Hotel Chichester, sat in the bar chap next to engaged in some chat and offered me to watch the England game on his laptop. Asked as you do what he was doing workwise he said he worked as an ambassador for Land Rover and was going to Goodwood the next day.

The night went on and he popped off to the loo and a guy who was sat in the corner come over and said if I could introduce him to Jason. Jason I said, yes Jason Robinson he replied looking at me a bit oddly. It finally dawned on me I had been to talking to a famous egg chaser.

I acted cool when he returned, asking a few rugby related questions, meanwhile cringing inside.

Also I should mention Dr Who (Tom Baker) lives down the road and I see him in our post office often.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Met Bob Hope in the lift at Gleneagles then again on the golf course next morning back in the 90's

Also have done work ( I'm a locksmith ) for:

Stephen Grant (Comedian)
Barry Lloyd ( Ex Albion manager)
Bruce Montague ( Butterflies Actor)
Nina Carter ( 1st Page 3 model & ex wife of Rick Wakeman)
Robin Driscoll ( Mr Bean writer and played "The great Ramondo" in Only Fools & Horses)
John Byrne ( Ex Albion )
George Parris ( Ex West Ham & Albion)
Jimmy Summerville ( Bronski Beat / Communards )

When I turned up at Jimmy Summerville's I said "your JS aren't you" No i'm not he said....."yes you are" I said, 'No I'm not" he said...."yes you are"I said, "Alright I am" he said..............."why did you say you weren't him" I said........."because I thought you might charge me double" he said.:lolol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I’m a locksmith. When I turned up at Jimmy Summerville's I said "your JS aren't you" No i'm not he said....."yes you are" I said, 'No I'm not" he said...."yes you are"I said, "Alright I am" he said..............."why did you say you weren't him" I said........."because I thought you might charge me double" he said.:lolol:

Hopefully you then dug into your locksmith’s bag and offered to sell him a “bronze key bit” though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Met Bob Hope in the lift at Gleneagles then again on the golf course next morning back in the 90's

Also have done work ( I'm a locksmith ) for:

Stephen Grant (Comedian)
Barry Lloyd ( Ex Albion manager)
Bruce Montague ( Butterflies Actor)
Nina Carter ( 1st Page 3 model & ex wife of Rick Wakeman)
Robin Driscoll ( Mr Bean writer and played "The great Ramondo" in Only Fools & Horses)
John Byrne ( Ex Albion )
George Parris ( Ex West Ham & Albion)
Jimmy Summerville ( Bronski Beat / Communards )

When I turned up at Jimmy Summerville's I said "your JS aren't you" No i'm not he said....."yes you are" I said, 'No I'm not" he said...."yes you are"I said, "Alright I am" he said..............."why did you say you weren't him" I said........."because I thought you might charge me double" he said.:lolol:

Was Jimmy Somerville in panto by any chance ???

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Occasionally Mark McGhee sits directly next to me at the Amex, saw Nzuzi Toko outside the regency fish restaurant once and Prince Andrew once came and observed my lecture at university in Huddersfield.

Mark McGhee reminds me of the story that I must surely have bored NSC with before.
While working at a hotel that had Ski lodges at the foot of the Cairngorms, I spotted a group of blokes walking towards me, as they got closer, it turned out to be Mark McGhee and his Motherwell team walking through the grounds before a game that evening. No idea where they came from, completely random. He did stop to chat to discuss our chance of promotion that season.

Other work related. Many years ago, we were working at the Old Ship, walking down the stairs to reception (wearing toolbelts), Lily Savage, in full dress and make up, came up the other way, 'Look at you boys with you're tools out' She quipped.

In a comms room in a posh London hotel, I had disconnected the TV system, Tom O'Connor (One for the teenagers there), popped his head around the door and berated me because his 'Missus' was complaining.
I also installed the Sky Box in Maggie T's room at the Ritz, however they had wheeled the old girl out 1st.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
Garry Nelson gave me and my mate change for a 50p coin around 1990 at Littlehampton Swimming Centre so we could buy a drifter from the Vending machine (We were only 12 but didn't munch it). Think our Mums must have thrown it out at some point. Nothing to do with the main thread but it jogged my memory so thought I'd share.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
Bumped into Bob Mortimer as we both piled our baskets with reduced price meat at a Tescos in Canterbury about five minutes before it's 10pm closing time.

He was lovely, and he loves ham.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Had lumps kicked out of me by John Motson when a celeb team came to play a friendly against our Sunday league team. Ian St John also played and their centre forward, Martin Tyler, scored a hat trick. I think we lost 3-2

Did you do any better when the celeb team turned up?

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
On a less pleasant note I've spent the best part of an hour alone with Nicholas Van Hoogstraten who insisted that I called him Adolf and I've chatted genially about football to Michael Lane, the murderer of Shana Grice, before being dragged away by a colleague and informed who exactl he was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here