Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Public School/ fee paying school educated footballers

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How many are there/have there been?

I can only think of Solly March, Patrick Bamford and Will Hughes

Are there more? Adam Virgo, did I imagine that?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Tyrone Mings went to Millfield on a football scholarship for 2 years. It appears they taught him how to slice the ball into touch at every opportunity, a skill clearly highly desirable in Southgate's England team.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Fat Frank Lampard was a public school boy.
Will Hughes
Victor Moses
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
30 Premier League players out of 557 have been privately educated, which is about .5% compared to 7% of the population who have had a private education. So significantly less players from a more privileged background.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
30 Premier League players out of 557 have been privately educated, which is about .5% compared to 7% of the population who have had a private education. So significantly less players from a more privileged background.

In many cases a private education does not go hand in hand with a privileged background. I had a scholarship to a very cheap private school. There are lots of associated costs and these combined with fees of my siblings meant we never went on holidays etc. All of my school friends came from similar backgrounds and indeed friends at the local state school lived in bigger houses. Many parents choose between spending the money on private schooling or buying a more expensive house close to a good state school. Having said all that if the players mentioned all come from expensive public schools and large family homes then ignore everything I just said.

Last edited:

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

You mean 'significantly fewer' ... although knowing the difference is unlikely to be a question of state or private schooling. The most important thing that private schools can offer is smaller class sizes. My missus taught in a private school and reckoned they were taking money under false pretences as some of the teachers (including her head of department) were not qualified.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Going (much) further back, CB Fry had scholarships at Repton and Oxford, where he apparently scraped a fourth due to mental illness and overwhelming debts.
Later played 18 games for Southampton and Portsmouth, 1 game for England.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I suppose football (as a player, not behind the scenes) is one of the few insanely well-paid and highly visible professions that are pure meritocracies and where an old school tie or string-pulling by mummy and daddy count for nothing.

Unlike, say, the pop, TV and film industries, for example.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
You mean 'significantly fewer' ... although knowing the difference is unlikely to be a question of state or private schooling. The most important thing that private schools can offer is smaller class sizes. My missus taught in a private school and reckoned they were taking money under false pretences as some of the teachers (including her head of department) were not qualified.

The difference between less and fewer is one of those relatively recent rules made up by "some guy" within the last 200 years, a bit like split infinitves, which falls apart as soon as you realise that there are plenty of exceptions where it makes more sense to use the "wrong" word.

I'd argue that a large part of the difference between any good, bad or indifferent school is the expectation on the pupils. When I was at school it was made perfectly clear that the aim was to get a C, and as long as we managed that they weren't bothered what happened.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
30 Premier League players out of 557 have been privately educated, which is about 5% compared to 7% of the population who have had a private education. So slightly less players from a more privileged background.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Odds weren't exactly stacked in your favour, even if you, say, went to Gillingham Grammar School, where you'd only be offered the choice of rugby or hockey. And the greatest tennis player the UK never produced probably went to some comprehensive somewhere and never even got to hold a tennis racquet in their life. We don't really nurture sport in this country. Unlike say the Aussies. It's their true religion from as soon as they can toddle

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tyrone Mings went to Millfield on a football scholarship for 2 years. It appears they taught him how to slice the ball into touch at every opportunity, a skill clearly highly desirable in Southgate's England team.

Bearing in mind that Rugby is probably the dominant sport in most Independent schools, finding touch is a prerequisite!

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
30 Premier League players out of 557 have been privately educated, which is about 5% compared to 7% of the population who have had a private education. So slightly less players from a more privileged background.

Is that still the case if we count only British public school educated players compared to the number of British players in the PL?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I suppose football (as a player, not behind the scenes) is one of the few insanely well-paid and highly visible professions that are pure meritocracies and where an old school tie or string-pulling by mummy and daddy count for nothing.

Unlike, say, the pop, TV and film industries, for example.

....and government contracts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here