Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Happy birthday Barry Lloyd

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just come up on my Facebook feed, 72 years young 👍

Happy to say that time has been a great healer, when this is all over I look forward to sitting down with the old boy and talking football, he’s amazing company and extremely knowledgeable.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I always liked Barry. Did improbably well getting us to within a hair’s breadth of what was the proto-Premier League on limited resources. Was pretty unfortunate to be holding the reins just as things really started to turn sour.

Happy birthday Barry! Thank you for trying.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did he not say, after we got promoted back out of division 3, 'Now what?'.

I thought he was good.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Happy Birthday Barry , was ahead of his time with his discoverers in europe and was also a good friend of my dad at Worthing FC .

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Never forget the away match I went to (Brentford? I forget) when a mate of a mate I went with shouted out at the end of the game (we lost, by how many I forget) as Barry Lloyd walked across the pitch.... "I wish you were dead!". And Mr Lloyd turned around and looked at us. Oh how I cringed. i was so embarrassed. Since the 1987-88 season was my first Albion season (as a 15 year old who previously watched HH) I have always held Barry in high esteem. Great memories. I mean he came to us pretty much as a nobody and did he manage again after us?

edit - obviously the shout out was when things went wrong and just before he was sacked not the glory times of Garry Nelson et al!

ps - and Doug was evil.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
After relegation it really was a new look Brighton and probably my first proper season of following the club home and away, made some great friends especially the lads from Littlehampton that I still see occasionally at games.

Fond memories of BL’s reign and of course we all adored Nelson and Bremner perfect strike partners.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That season we got to Wembley was brilliant, real hard working team with a real hard working manager. Happy Birthday Barry.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
After whom this poster is named

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Great overlapping Goldstone chant from back in the day: “ Barry Lloyd’s G-lory” “ Barry Lloyd’s G-lory”

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Never forgave him for not signing Steve Palmer on his return from university. Was outstanding for the youth team before going on to further education and a shoe in to come back and play for his home club. Lloyd sent him on his way to have an outstanding career elsewhere.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Oh Barry Barry Barry, Barry Barry Barry Barry Barry Lloyd
Always had good contacts in the game
Did much better with us than thought he would as was a odd choice at the time with no experience at that level
However in the end really liked him
Didn't like that he had a blanket wrapped round his legs in the dugout at the Goldstone and he rarely got up out of the dugout so didn't really win over the fans as he didn't appear to care although knew he did really care afters
Happy Birthday Mr Lloyd, he knew how to get a bargain and had to due to the budget at that time hence some of the forward flops also at that time
If he had been given money he would have got us to the top

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
That third division promotion year with The Goldstone Gaz, Kajagoogoo Kealey, Dougie's Evil and the others is still one of my favourite seasons. It was also the return of the stripes season. Happy birthday .. Barry Who's blue and white army

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Happy Birthday to the Ringo Starr of the Seagulls.
Ridiculed at the time, but history has treated him well.
Rightly so.
The 1990/91 season was peak Albion for me.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Barry, Barry, Barry.
Out, out, out.

That 87/88 season was probably my favourite of all time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here