Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Recommendations for USB Switch

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I did a quick search and found nothing, I'm looking for recommendations for a USB switch, mainly for keyboard and mouse.

My monitors have dual inputs so I have 2 video cables connected to each monitor from my desktop PC and my work laptop hub.

I have had a major overhaul / Spring clean of my home office today and decided swapping the peripherals between systems all the time is a faff and can probably be done by a box of tricks...

As ever, thanks in advance for your contributions.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I did a quick search and found nothing, I'm looking for recommendations for a USB switch, mainly for keyboard and mouse.

My monitors have dual inputs so I have 2 video cables connected to each monitor from my desktop PC and my work laptop hub.

I have had a major overhaul / Spring clean of my home office today and decided swapping the peripherals between systems all the time is a faff and can probably be done by a box of tricks...

Look for a 'KVM switch'. It's a device that handles keyboard, video and mouse together. Allowing you to change between two or more source PCs on a single display using just one keyboard and mouse.

I can't help any further with selection of consumer level devices as I work with very large systems for pro applications like broadcast and air traffic. With hundreds of sources and displays.

But you should be able to find an affordable solution that meets your needs.

Hope this helps.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Have you thought about a wireless keyboard and mouse, helps protect your eyes in a home office as you can work further away from monitors as you're not limited by the cable length

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Wireless! Logitech do wireless keyboards and mice which can switch between 3 devices. Buy them separately and you'll get a Unifying dongle with each and you don't need anything else.

(for the uninitiated... a unifying dongle in a single usb plug that can control a mouse *and* keyboard, so you only need one thing plugged in to your computer, saving USB ports. But buy a mouse and a keyboard separately and you get a dongle with each, so you have one for each computer. )

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Apologies all - just reread my OP after seeing some of the responses here.

What I meant to say was that I can searched NSC and didn't find anything.

I'm after a USB switch so I was hoping to get some recommendations for what to go for Black Box etc.

Thanks to [MENTION=865]clapham_gull[/MENTION] I saw that and thought it fitted the bill too.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
USB is USB - 3.0 is faster for data transfer if you devices [at both ends] support.

USB keyboard and mouse are low on data demand so speed for them is irrelevant.
What might be more relevant is if you need it to also be powered - i.e. the device(s) you want to attached need more juice than a single USB PC port can support.
To give advice, more info is required regarding intended use. i.e. devices to be connected, and to what?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here