Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car Help Please! Ford Fiesta, petrol cap / flap jammed? Thanks

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
Hi,
Thank's for taking the time to read this post! I've just tried to fill upp my car but was unable to get the petrol nosel due to the presence of this silver metal cover? I've tried turning the car on/off and messing around with some WD40 but it's not budging! Does anyone know how to fix this or even what it is?

The car is a 2009 Ford Fiesta, thanks for having a look!

Cheers IMG_1842.JPG

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
That should just rotate out of the way against a spring, as you push the nozzle in. Have you tried being a bit 'firm' with it? probably just seized up.

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As said above, it's there all the time but moves when the nozzle goes in. How long has it been since you last filled it?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Is it a safety feature so that you don't put the wrong fuel in. Were you trying to put diesel in a petrol for example?

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thanks for the reply, last filled about a month ago as I recall, could this be a result of the cold snap?

Possible, I have a Focus and it often reacts badly with bits sticking when it's been cold, a bit of (gentle) persuasion usually works out. Try sticking the straight bit of the nozzle in cleanly without it hitting the sides first for maximum impact.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
Possible, I have a Focus and it often reacts badly with bits sticking when it's been cold, a bit of (gentle) persuasion usually works out. Try sticking the straight bit of the nozzle in cleanly without it hitting the sides first for maximum impact.

Cheers, I'll give it a go, do you know whether the silver bit usualy folds back 'into' the car or does in flip up?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Thanks, tried being fairly firm, do you think it's ok to give it a full on push/smack?

yes fine by me :)

Seriously though, try fiddling it around with a screwdriver. It may have become dislodged somehow and jammed. Its not going to be the end of the world even if it breaks off and goes into the tank. It'll just sit harmlessly at the bottom. It's something the car will quite happily live without.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It looks like you have triggered the wrong fuel/anti theft device.
Look in the boot where your spare tyre would be and there is sometimes a tool which you can use to de activate it.
Usually a red or yellow plastic thing with an arrow on the end.
Try the glove box too,some cars hide them in there.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Cheers, I'll give it a go, do you know whether the silver bit usualy folds back 'into' the car or does in flip up?

Folds back in, it's spring loaded so should automatically appear closed when not in use

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If its frozen, you could warm it with a cigarette lighter.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is it a safety feature so that you don't put the wrong fuel in. Were you trying to put diesel in a petrol for example?

Ford introduced this system so there's no need for a cap. Normally in the glove box though may have been moved is what looks like a slender funnel. This is designed to release the flap if using a petrol can to fill up with. If you can find it try pushing that in, giving it a shove if need be.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here