Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So are we disenfranchising people who don't have ID now then?

Or they're disenfranchising themselves!

Personally, in this day and age, it seems nonsensical not to have identity cards. Seems the only ones against are those with illegal intent or those that just want right to be awkward!!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Same as my old Duch, never driven,passport expired, she does however have a bus pass with a photo, as another poster has said, issue free voter ID.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What type of proof is going to be needed for a voter I'D photo card. Is it going to be like a passport where now numerous hoops have to be jumped through to get your first one? If I recall, my daughter had to have an interview for her first passport as well as having her photo authenticated by an appropriate figure of authority.

I wonder which Tory donor will be brought in to implement it. And Chris Grayling in charge, would be good.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Yes, that's the plan I feel. Voter dis-enfranchisement almost worked for Trump in the US, so why not try it here?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Who are the people most likely to vote? Pensioners.
Who are the people most likely to have no photo i.d.? Pensioners.

Your typical "working class Labour voter who works 40 hours a week" has a car and goes on foreign holidays nowadays.

In the UK, 3.5 million citizens do not have access to photo ID and 11 million citizens do not have a passport or driving licence around 15m people in have savings of less than £100

They've done their sums if there was nothing in it for the government they wouldn't be doing it.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Which statistically are more likely to be ethnic minorities who are also statistically more likely to vote for a certain party that is currently not in power. Purely coincidental I’m sure...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My photo ID's are passport & driving license. Only in the last few years have I bothered carrying any ID.
In the UK it is NOT a law to have to carry any ID and the police can not ask you for any (life can be made difficult by them though).
And the longer it stays that way the better.

Anyway, we've all got our Bill Gates chips jabbed into us*

*jest, not true.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Who are the people most likely to vote? Pensioners.
Who are the people most likely to have no photo i.d.? Pensioners.

Your typical "working class Labour voter who works 40 hours a week" has a car and goes on foreign holidays nowadays.

And probably no longer votes Labour as a result. Increasingly, the (English) working-class vote Tory - 48% of the working class voted Tory in 2019, compared to 33% who still voted Labour.
Increasingly, it's the (younger) middle class who now vote Labour, Lib Dem or Green.

Meanwhile, pensioners are the biggest Tory voters of all - 65-67% of the 65+ age group always votes Tory, tottering down to the polling station clutching their Daily Mail.

It was also mostly the working-class and pensioners who support(ed) Brexit.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I'm very much against this.
Its an attempt to make it as difficult as possible for some sections of society to vote and cut some people out of the voting system completely.
But worse still i also fear it will lead to technology
based national ID cards which successive governments have tried to impose but failed,which will be loaded on mobile devices which in turn will lead to microchips in humans by 2030 by which time it will be impossible to function in society without being chipped,which is not a society I want to see for the humans of the future.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The strangest thing about this thread is the number of people who think that objects like railcards, NI cards and NHS cards are photo ID. (shakes head in wonder)

And there's no guarantee that having photo ID will always be accepted. I have a press card with my photo on it and yet I've had banks and mobile phone companies not recognise it.

I do wonder whether it's a precursor to the idea of national identity cards.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
At face value a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. What it actually is- A way to disenfranchise the poor and vulnerable.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes, that's the plan I feel. Voter dis-enfranchisement almost worked for Trump in the US, so why not try it here?

Yep and chuck in a bit of gerrymandering, undermine media plurality and its a lot harder to lose.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes.

Because poor people don't vote Tory (generally)

Although recently, the Tories (and UKIP/Brexit Party) have been increasing their support among the poor, by persuading them that they are poor because of foreigners/immigrants and the EU, rather than because of poverty wages paid by companies which pay their bosses, CEOs and shareholders £ millions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This thread :lolol:

The Tories thought of it so there must be an evil plan :facepalm:

It must be said that as the OP is a self confessed working class bloke who can't stand the Tories, it's either the best idea since sliced bread or the OP is a bit economical with the truth.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It would absolutely have to be free to voters to get the card - otherwise there will be poorer people that decide it is not a spending priority of theirs to spend money on a voter ID card.

In 2019, there were 592 alleged cases of alleged voter fraud (161 in that year's general election, from 32 million votes). Of the 592 cases of alleged voter fraud nearly 62% resulted in no further action.

Therefore, I tend to feel that voting ID cards are much of a fuss over nothing.

Important to note that the wording here is incorrect.

There was 592 cases of electoral fraud in 2019, of which the majority (54%) were breaches in relation to campaigning.

There was actually only 142 cases of alleged voter fraud across all elections. Only 14 cases resulted in any action being taken (9.8%) with 91.2% of cases either resulting in no further action or being locally resolved.

It is such a non-issue it is insane.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
May as well just stop peasants from voting anyway, it makes **** all difference. they can be branded for identification to stop them from going to nice places and mucking it up for the upper classes.

It's simple really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here