Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
With voter I D set to be introduced from 2023 do NSCers feel this a good thing or a bad thing?
For the record I think it will be a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The ladies recognise us each time and know where we live! But I am surprised we don't have to show and it's no problem to me.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'm not sure how this would work - would it be accompanied by a photocard? If not then someone could have a postal vote and then walk into the polling station with someone else's ID. Maybe if they tattoed the ID number on your arm........

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So are we disenfranchising people who don't have ID now then?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sounds like a good way of cleansing an underclass from engaging in democracy.

Wonder what mystery think tank came up with that idea?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

I don’t think so..who doesn’t have ID?
If a polling card is sent to your address you clearly have ID. I have several forms of ID, My passport,my driving licence,my rail pass and my staff pass. How many people don’t have ID?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
For someone that's got Churchill, the very leader that fought against fascism in his profile picture it sounds a bit fascist.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Taking ID to a polling station? You have to now don't you?

nope, just your polling card. and thats optional, just say a name/address if its on the list and not crossed out you're good.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How much of a problem is voter fraud in the UK currently?

Don't see the need for this, and will just potentially exclude a large number of people from voting.

Just another way of the Tories introducing national ID cards via the backdoor.

Don't forget you will probably also need to take a lateral flow covid test at the polling station doors and sit around for 30 minutes before only being allowed to vote if you get a negative test.

At least the Government aren't proposing to move over to online voting so that they can give out another round of contracts to their mates which will fail to deliver.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
For someone that's got Churchill, the very leader that fought against fascism in his profile picture it sounds a bit fascist.

Let’s not drag this into the gutter, agreed, Churchill stood with the people of Great Britain to fight fascism but I don’t think having a passport or driving license or some other form of documentation makes us a facist nation.

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don’t think so..who doesn’t have ID?

Well, there could be perfectly valid reasons why people don't have ID. Many won't on principle. So what forms of ID are we talking about here?

Driving licence? Not everyone drives, and almost everyone over a certain age doesn't have a photocard version.
Passport? Not everyone has one as what's the point if you never travel?
Utility bills? What if you don't own a house and have them in your name?
Rail pass? Far from everyone has one.
Work pass? Most employers don't tend to provide photocard ID.

So there could be many reasons. Poverty. Disability. Marital circumstance. You might not be able to conceive of such scenarios but that just demonstrates a lack of imagination on your part more than anything. A Polling Card proves you're registered at that address on the electoral roll, but there is no ID required as part of any of that process.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

obvious solution is to introduce voter photo ID cards.

Wonder what mystery think tank came up with that idea?

New Labour. or really the Home Office they've been pushing the idea for years.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Let’s not drag this into the gutter, agreed, Churchill stood with the people of Great Britain to fight fascism but I don’t think having a passport or driving license or some other form of documentation makes us a facist nation.

It does if it becomes the law to have one in order to vote. If you choose not to have any photo ID then you're not allowed to vote. It is a form of fascism.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It would absolutely have to be free to voters to get the card - otherwise there will be poorer people that decide it is not a spending priority of theirs to spend money on a voter ID card.

In 2019, there were 592 alleged cases of alleged voter fraud (161 in that year's general election, from 32 million votes). Of the 592 cases of alleged voter fraud nearly 62% resulted in no further action.

Therefore, I tend to feel that voting ID cards are much of a fuss over nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here