Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] News broadcasts

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The constant hourly mentions on all news media of mental health, the role of the media play in the positive feel or indeed the negative is beginning to really concern me. I've watched the BBC news and particularly Victoria Derbyshire and she could put a negative slant on the most positive story. Her demeanour is so bloody dour.

It's time now for the good news items to dominate yet the media appear to look for the most morale destroying items they can. If something good is presented they eventually dissect it so much the positivity disappears. They have stopped showing people who have survived being hospitalised by covid, why? Because so many are now surviving it's no longer considered news worthy but it is.

It's no wonder the children are suffering when all you hear is doom and gloom.

And finally...........................(good news item to cheer us up) :down:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The media seem to have gone out of its way to accentuate the negative and eliminate the positive this past year.

Anyone struggling with mental health should switch it off and read the Coronavirus Good News thread on this site.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The constant hourly mentions on all news media of mental health, the role of the media play in the positive feel or indeed the negative is beginning to really concern me. I've watched the BBC news and particularly Victoria Derbyshire and she could put a negative slant on the most positive story. Her demeanour is so bloody dour.

It's time now for the good news items to dominate yet the media appear to look for the most morale destroying items they can. If something good is presented they eventually dissect it so much the positivity disappears. They have stopped showing people who have survived being hospitalised by covid, why? Because so many are now surviving it's no longer considered news worthy but it is.

I was having a good day till I read this. :down:

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I was having a good day till I read this. :down:

Sorry

OK here we go

First Daffodil has flowered in my garden.

I repaired the water leak in our horses field meaning no more lugging of water containers

Palace fans are really worried about us

I've got my vaccine this afternoon

My son, 19, managed for the first time in his life to replace the toilet roll and put it in the holder.

My daughter loaded the dishwasher without being asked.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I know what you are saying and it is depressing, but I am hoping that the reason behind it is to drum it into the deniers and anti vaccine twerps that it is still around, it is worse now than then, mutations are still occuring and people are still dying.
Any good news gives these people any excuse to carry on and say i told you so.
It's a shame these people exist, but they do and there are too many not to at least try and get the message home.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

I've just got home,put the tele on

Tuned in to BBC2 to see if the lovely Joanna Gosling was presenting the news

As soon as I heard Victoria Derbyshire's voice I immediately turned it off
Your completely right

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

She is incredibly negative - trying to be a low-key Piers Morgan.............

Latest 'story' the negative MSM seem to be trying to big up is the vaccine allocation - giving airtime to all sorts of rent-a-mouth people (union leaders in particular of course) moaning about how their particular cohort of people have been 'forgotten' or how they should be prioritised ahead of others - trying to find fault in what is evident to anyone a very good news story.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry

OK here we go

First Daffodil has flowered in my garden.

I repaired the water leak in our horses field meaning no more lugging of water containers

Palace fans are really worried about us

I've got my vaccine this afternoon

My son, 19, managed for the first time in his life to replace the toilet roll and put it in the holder.

My daughter loaded the dishwasher without being asked

Requests for cash incoming :)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
She is incredibly negative - trying to be a low-key Piers Morgan.............

Latest 'story' the negative MSM seem to be trying to big up is the vaccine allocation - giving airtime to all sorts of rent-a-mouth people (union leaders in particular of course) moaning about how their particular cohort of people have been 'forgotten' or how they should be prioritised ahead of others - trying to find fault in what is evident to anyone a very good news story.
That really hacks me off. Loads trying to jump the queue. Let's just get the 9 priority categories done before trying to jump in ahead of them.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That really hacks me off. Loads trying to jump the queue. Let's just get the 9 priority categories done before trying to jump in ahead of them.

Completely agree. I was getting quite angry watching the news last night....waaa waaa, WE need it NOW................WE are MORE IMPORTANT than.....THEM ! When is the Government going to APOLOGISE for not prioritising those who prefer to wear colored socks on a Friday..etc

**** off. Just have a bit of patience. It's on it's way to everyone.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I find ITV's News at Ten far less depressing than BBC's 10 o'clock News.

Tom Bradbury always has a twinkle in his eye and Emily Morgan is very reassuring and calm when talking about Covid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not a new thing unfortunatly, the media driven by ratings, 24 hour and online news, see fit to create news. they no longer report on events, they want to editorialise or "find an angle" for every issue of the day. they broadcast it, ruminate with some unknown pundit, other outlets have a go at the same item, then its dropped the following day or two. dont even start me on their pompus self-appointed role as holding government to account, something traditionally for politicans to perform.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I haven't watched the new, or ready papers, or looked at news website since last Mid April last year. The change it made to my mental wellbeing was immense. Why would I go back?

Some people seem to revel in making themselves worried, scared or unhappy. I choose not to.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i have been saying similar for almost a year. I am convinced that the media are partially responsible for a huge number of deaths. Ever since the start they have gone out of the way to undermine and misinform. They took delight in highlighting every possible discrepancy in the social distancing policy, looking for anything that was contradictory , which was inevitable when drafting regulations for 70 000 000 people. Rather than highlight support for and the spirit of the lockdown, they deliberately went out of their way to cause confusion and then leaked half truths ahead of announcements so that when things weren't exactly as they thought, they could highlight u turns and changes of policy that simply hadn't occurred, but were government quite properly looking into every possibility and course of action

They are still doing it, publishing what they think will be the roadmap to ease restrictions, and will then leap all over the fact that dates may change, that different restrictions are amended and the like

The hounding of ministers rather than interviewing them, the total over reaction to various breaches of lockdown by ministers caused hundreds of thousands to do the same.

Im not saying they should have ignored the mistakes, misteps, and breaking of regulations, but it was not done in anything like a proportional and fair way. There was never any attempt to help the situation, just a constant drive to find alarmist sensationalised stories to frighten the public and get more viewers and clicks. Disgraceful behaviour

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
not a new thing unfortunatly, the media driven by ratings, 24 hour and online news, see fit to create news. they no longer report on events, they want to editorialise or "find an angle" for every issue of the day. they broadcast it, ruminate with some unknown pundit, other outlets have a go at the same item, then its dropped the following day or two. dont even start me on their pompus self-appointed role as holding government to account, something traditionally for politicans to perform.

Yes you're right about holding the government to account. A minster of housing comes on, speak briefly about new houses, then proceed to grill them over why the lorries are parked up on the M2, bloody minister has to speak on the hoof and then proceeds to be quoted for the rest of day about something he has no knowledge of or can do anything about.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
When I was young the news always ended with an upbeat story be that a cat stuck up a tree rescue or a local group had raised funds for some good cause

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Absolutely. It's been like that for a while, even before Covid. Some might even tell you it's by design. Personally, I think it's been like that throughout the digital age. I try to avoid rolling news channels these days, way too negative.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
i have been saying similar for almost a year. I am convinced that the media are partially responsible for a huge number of deaths. Ever since the start they have gone out of the way to undermine and misinform. They took delight in highlighting every possible discrepancy in the social distancing policy, looking for anything that was contradictory , which was inevitable when drafting regulations for 70 000 000 people. Rather than highlight support for and the spirit of the lockdown, they deliberately went out of their way to cause confusion and then leaked half truths ahead of announcements so that when things weren't exactly as they thought, they could highlight u turns and changes of policy that simply hadn't occurred, but were government quite properly looking into every possibility and course of action

They are still doing it, publishing what they think will be the roadmap to ease restrictions, and will then leap all over the fact that dates may change, that different restrictions are amended and the like

The hounding of ministers rather than interviewing them, the total over reaction to various breaches of lockdown by ministers caused hundreds of thousands to do the same.

Im not saying they should have ignored the mistakes, misteps, and breaking of regulations, but it was not done in anything like a proportional and fair way. There was never any attempt to help the situation, just a constant drive to find alarmist sensationalised stories to frighten the public and get more viewers and clicks. Disgraceful behaviour

Nailed it.

When there's the inquiry into this the media should also be investigated properly. Their scaremongering and as you say misinformation with the constant deliberate undermining of anything said is really at the route of this. When social distancing rules were put out they went out of their way to find a totally bizarre series of events that would mean someone may break the rule and centre their whole item on it.

Huge mistakes were made but the message was normally concise but after they had dissected it and started to bring made up scenarios it become a mess. Blaming central government constantly when most understood that not mixing would stop you getting covid. The Christmas message was the worse. They knew if they didn't relax the rules people would have completely ignored it anyway. Not once though did they say you MUST meet your relatives and pass covid on. Yet the media creamed themselves over it.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If I never heard the words "mental health" again it would still be too soon.

I believe there's a real issue here.

I've done some training n mental health, by no means qualified but enough to be considered a laymen councillor for my company. The constant mentioning of mental health is beginning to dilute the message.

It's great that people can now talk without fear of being considered a nutter or suffering in silence. However now everyone has to have it and this is where the damage occurs. You can no longer have a pissed off day, be grumpy, get out the wrong side of the bed, you have to have issues. Those that truly need the expertise are now saddled with all the hangers on who are just pissed off because there best shirt got ruined in the wash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here