Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lampty/Veltman

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Looking like with form shown by Veltman unlikely he will come straight back in. However with Veltman showing his left foot is as good as his right would it not be a good option to play him in our problem position of left wing back.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Veltman will get plenty of game time.

Strongly suspect he and Tariq will share the RB position depending on opposition.
He'll also be covering the other 3 CBs.
A very useful player to have in the squad.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
In the short term (when Lamptey is fit) I'd continue with Veltman from the start then bring on the speed merchant during the 2nd half of games to ease him back in and to terrorise defences when they are starting to tire.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
When fit, Lamptey must play in my view. He is one of the few we have who opponents will change their set up to counter his threat. Play him in his best position RWB.

Veltman must also play on this form. I'd put him in his best position, Right Central Defence.

White is fighting with Gross and others for a place in midfield in my team.

Incredible competition for places. At least one very good defender isn't going to play

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Injury and suspension will help solve any selection issues for the rest of the season anyway, along with rotation. Great headache for Potter to have. Lamptey almost certain to be on the bench after missing so many games when he’s ready I’d think. Great impact sub against a tiring defence.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its easy to forget how good Lamptey is, but he cant be benched when fully fit. Involved in 7 goals in 11 appearances (plenty of them cut short) as RWB... Veltman is also able to play in multiple positions, got a decent left foot as well so wouldnt be surprised if he gets to play LWB at some point. Its not a big (luxuary) problem.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Difficult one.

Have been much more solid at the back since Veltman has come in.

However the threat Veltman poses as an attacking force isn’t anywhere near what Tariq does.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Veltman is a very good player, but he doesn't cause the opposition the problems that Lamptey does.

I think as mentioned above, it will be rotateted depending on who we are playing, but also with Veltman's versatility I expect he'll feature somewhere else in the lineup. Was it 1 million we paid for him? He looks an absolute steal at that price.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
LWB is the harder position to fill if you ask me

Alzate - i'm not convinced he offers enough in defence or attack (he is clearly out of position)
Burn - The solid option when we're playing the better teams? Doesn't offer quality of final ball
Veltman - Plausible option there once Lamptey is fully fit, but this might not be for a while.
Karbownik - Does GP think he's ready? Would he be just as out of position as Veltman?

Are there any other names you would throw into the ring?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Let's not be silly now. Lamptey at RWB will walk back into the team. It's more likely Veltman would move into the back 3 and White would step into midfield. Lamptey will play when he's fit, because he's absolutely superb and offer us so much in defence (as does Veltman) and attack (in contrast to Veltman).

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Veltman will get plenty of game time.

Strongly suspect he and Tariq will share the RB position depending on opposition.
He'll also be covering the other 3 CBs.
A very useful player to have in the squad.

This.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is Webster now back? If not then surely Veltman just covers him and Alzate misses out (Lamptey RWB, Burn LWB)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'd say that Veltman's attacking contribution against Villa was up there with what Lamptey has to offer. Joel's crosses, particularly the one for MacAllister, were excellent and his shot produced an excellent save from Martinez. If Potter can figure out a way to fit both Tariq and Joel in the team I'll be delighted. Exactly the sort of problem a manager would want to have.

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Veltman is the more complete player, as you'd expect with the experience. He's getting better and better for us going forward, solid at the back and totally owned panto-**** last weekend

Lamptey is exciting going forward and has pace to get back but lacks the experience and game knowledge/management that goes with that.

depends on the opposition IMO. both are integral to our progress.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
His left foot is better than expected but no way as good as his right. Could see that when he tried left footed cross - and also dribbles right footed. No way.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The nice thing is with Veltman there we really don't have to rush Lamptey back. I hope we give him the maximum recovery time possible and if that means not playing for another couple of months then so be it. Just can't afford to risk that type of injury.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I suspect Potter will vary the line up depending on the nature of the opposition and the fitness and form of individual squad members, all part of his Cunning Plan. [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] will correct me if I'm wrong ???

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Imagine if Potter unleashed (fit and firing) Lamptey, Izzy and Andone on Palace next Monday :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here