Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match officials for Palace

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wouldn't usually bother but I think we need to prepare ourselves here:

Referee: Kevin Friend. Assistants: Simon Beck, Eddie Smart. Fourth official: Keith Stroud. VAR: Simon Hooper. Assistant VAR: Mark Scholes, as per: https://www.premierleague.com/news/2025198

:nono:

Hmm...last time Friend (I think) reffed a Brighton Palace match he sent Duffy off,......on the other hand we won 3/1

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kevin Friend’s last three Albion matches:

Newcastle 0-3 Brighton
Aston Villa 1-2 Brighton
Liverpool 0-1 Brighton

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Andre Marriner was consistently good in this fixture. Friend has one go and makes a Horlicks of it - ridiculous penalty for us and failure to take the multiple opportunities to send off the SEGW. So who do they give the job to? With bonus Hoops?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hoops on VAR.....palace really need to get Zaha on the pitch. Guaranteed penalty.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Kevin Friend’s last three Albion matches:

Newcastle 0-3 Brighton
Aston Villa 1-2 Brighton
Liverpool 0-1 Brighton

Well yes.

But every time I see Friends name allocated to us, I just can't escape the thought ..... "surely, he can't be one of the top 20 refs in the country".

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hoops on VAR.....palace really need to get Zaha on the pitch. Guaranteed penalty.

It's not though. I'm sure the advent of VAR has reduced his efficacy at 'winning' penalties

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
They always use'd to state where the officials were from in the old programmes

Don't know if they do these days

Always checked,just in case their was a hint of bias

Challis was from Tonbridge ???

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He's been the ref in 14 Brighton games, 7 wins 2 draws 6 losses... surely one of the best records. At first I didnt like him because he looks like John Terry but he is obviously doing his job.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hasn't he been both good and bad for us on VAR?

Regardless, he has been WRONG several times on VAR for and against other sides. And still they give him the gig. He was the one who told the ref why he should overturn the second penalty against Utd which he isn't supposed to do. He has been VAR on quite a few of the ones that have subsequently been ruled as wrong.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I miss going to football. Especially the set pieces. Like my next door seat neighbour saying every single game 'That ref NEVER gives us anything'. Seriously, you'd need a heart of stone not to :lolol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It will take more that Friend reffing us in 3 victories to erase the memory of that monstrous officiating performance at home to Liverpool a couple of years back.

An utter disgrace to his profession that day from the scousers friend

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
He's been the ref in 14 Brighton games, 7 wins 2 draws 6 losses... surely one of the best records. At first I didnt like him because he looks like John Terry but he is obviously doing his job.

That's a decent record.
15 results from 14 games.
😉

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I miss going to football. Especially the set pieces. Like my next door seat neighbour saying every single game 'That ref NEVER gives us anything'. Seriously, you'd need a heart of stone not to :lolol:

Blimey, you sit next to me?

You forgot “we never get the bounce of the ball” :lolol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Yes.

Absolutely.

If you believe that the job of a ref is to facilitate a win for your team, then yeh he has done a good job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here