Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Where is the line in defining online abuse...?

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Is online abuse defined only as where a particular individual is targeted or might it be defined more generally ?

For instance, if there was a post on another team's fan forum maintaining that all Brighton fans are gay, and implying that is a bad thing, is that online abuse ?

Similarly, if there are posts on nsc with extreme stereotypical descriptions of Burnley or Croydon as places to live, or similar descriptions of people who come from Burnley, Croydon, Norwich, etc, could that be said to be online abuse ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Is online abuse defined only as where a particular individual is targeted or might it be defined more generally ?

For instance, if there was a post on another team's fan forum maintaining that all Brighton fans are gay, and implying that is a bad thing, is that online abuse ?

Similarly, if there are posts on nsc with extreme stereotypical descriptions of Burnley or Croydon as places to live, or similar descriptions of people who come from Burnley, Croydon, Norwich, etc, could that be said to be online abuse ?

The top one is homophobic abuse, so yes definitely is in my book

The second one, less likely to be abuse, but could stray into that territory

If you're making the point that the boundaries between abuse and legitimate comment or criticism are blurred, you're probably right. That's not an excuse for inaction though

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
If you're making the point that the boundaries between abuse and legitimate comment or criticism are blurred, you're probably right. That's not an excuse for inaction though[/QUO

Gosh, no. The opposite of an excuse for inaction. Back when I was reading the thread before the Burnley game , several comments struck me as going a bit beyond banter. My point is that general comments like these can cross the line into abuse.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its all subjective. Through shared influences such as the media, intersubjectivity is created and currently we are in a phase where the shape of these intersubjective views are establishing themselves. It may end up rigid or fluid. We have lots of intersubjective views, like "democracy is good" or "everyone is equally worth". These things have no basis in reality, they are just more or less silent agreements between huge numbers of people. There's no tangible definition of abuse, no scientific laws that decides what is or isnt abuse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here