Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Tim Martin takes a beating

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Approximately 5% of C19 cases were linked to hospitality between lockdowns. Why are we baring the brunt of restrictions? We are being unfairly treated. The industry is lobbying hard for minimun restrictions on re-opening. Not one person contracted Covid in my pub, can my local supermarkets say the same? I doubt it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Very hard to accurately identify where someone caught COVID.

Someone who wet to a pub last summer, might have gone on a train to get there or to a kebab house after, or gone home to see their Mrs who has been at the supermarket

How do you say exactly where you got it?

Tim Martin can't know that for sure

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wish he would take a beating!

Peteinblack

Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
He'll probably accuse the interviewer of being 'Woke', claim this is further evidence of the BBC promoting a Marxist agenda, and demand that the interviewer is sacked - in order to defend Martin's free speech and ensure 'balanced' reporting :mad:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I don't drink in Wetherspoons, partly because Martin is an unsufferable arse but mostly because his pubs are full of pissheads, scumbags and cheapskates.
I'd rather go out once a week to a "proper" local than to a converted abbatoir

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
As someone said yesterday, the carpet at Wetherspoons must have an R rate of at least 100.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I usually avoid his beer pits, but I can understand why the pub trade is frustrated.

Knowing that it had to happen doesn't make it any easier to bear.

Ditto the cinema trade (my old job). There'll be few pubs and cinemas left if this carries on much longer. Indies might weather it, but I can see some big chains going out of business. And whatever we think of big chains, they provide a lot of jobs that might not exist otherwise.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH he should have taken a beating for the appalling way he treated his staff and suppliers when lockdown started last year

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Strange how he clearly says,twice I think, " We are topping up our staff's wages to 80%...." which is obviously highly disingenuous ... the Government is paying that 80% of wages ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I usually avoid his beer pits, but I can understand why the pub trade is frustrated.

Knowing that it had to happen doesn't make it any easier to bear.

Ditto the cinema trade (my old job). There'll be few pubs and cinemas left if this carries on much longer. Indies might weather it, but I can see some big chains going out of business. And whatever we think of big chains, they provide a lot of jobs that might not exist otherwise.

Some of the bigger brands just stopped talking to the Gov because it was a complete waste of time.

Can't say I enjoy Spoons, but he has made some decent points.

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Very hard to accurately identify where someone caught COVID.

Someone who wet to a pub last summer, might have gone on a train to get there or to a kebab house after, or gone home to see their Mrs who has been at the supermarket

How do you say exactly where you got it?

Tim Martin can't know that for sure

I'm not convinced he knows anything for sure. Just a babbling inbred cockwomble.

His establishemnts are not pubs in the real sense, just budget alcohol distribution depots. the lowest common denominator. As such they probably are at a higher risk than, say, a proper landlord owned/managed local pub.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Oh I get it....this thread is because of his stand on Brexit isn't it?

Oh dear lord.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
His philosophy = go out, do what you want, Britannia Rules The Waves and get as much publicity for my pubs as I can.

These Brexit cheerleaders like Tim Martin, Nigel Farage, Boris, Laurence Fox have virtually an identical view to freedom, i.e. don't stop me doing anything I want to do EVER, regardless of what other people think or what the scientists are telling us. The correlation between Brexit and 'Get The F**k Out Of My Face" is incredibly close.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
We've done the lockdowns,we have worn the masks,we have done the social distancing,we will have done the vaccines.
The plan as they told us was always give us the chance to create a vaccine.
That point is nearing conclusion so in my opinion it should be time to stop ****ing about and open everything back up again.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm not convinced he knows anything for sure. Just a babbling inbred cockwomble.

His establishemnts are not pubs in the real sense, just budget alcohol distribution depots. the lowest common denominator. As such they probably are at a higher risk than, say, a proper landlord owned/managed local pub.

That I doubt very much. He is in prime position to kick start again. Your local pubs are the ones who who will struggle. Many have taken on personal debt to get by and I can hear the moaning now when they have to put prices up to attempt to pay back the debt. Wetherspoons don't have nasty ******* landlords such as Greene King, Punch, EI who fleece their tenants for exorbitant rents and inflated beer prices. Wetherspoons rarely operate out of traditional pubs but use redundant buildings in town centres. Cheap rents, cheap rates backed up with huge discounts for their beer due to buying power. Their beer btw isn't dated that's pure fallacy. But their business model is great for alcoholics and down and outs but has put real decent town centre pubs out of business who just can't compete on price.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
We've done the lockdowns,we have worn the masks,we have done the social distancing,we will have done the vaccines.
The plan as they told us was always give us the chance to create a vaccine.
That point is nearing conclusion so in my opinion it should be time to stop ****ing about and open everything back up again.

But that is the plan! Its just how do we do it safely without throwing away the success in getting case nos deaths etc down. I never supported Boris he has made hurrendous mistakes but his cautious approach to opening up is exactly right. We need to measure the impact of each stage of opening up before we do the next thing. Noone wants to get locked done in the autumn again bdcause the case rates are left too high.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here