Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] DVLA Clamping

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Maybe people declaring their vehicles as SORN during lockdown to save money but not realising they can't then be left parked on a public road and need to be left on a private driveway or similar.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe people declaring their vehicles as SORN during lockdown to save money but not realising they can't then be left parked on a public road and need to be left on a private driveway or similar.

I suspect it's more to do with the MOT holiday and people not bothering to MOT their cars now it's finished.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I suspect it's more to do with the MOT holiday and people not bothering to MOT their cars now it's finished.

It's not. It's what [MENTION=529]sparkie[/MENTION] said. When I used to sit on DVLA cases (second only to TV licensing in dullness factor) there were loads where the keeper had SORN'd the car and it had subsequently been observed parked.
It's not difficult for DVLA to check using street view to see if a property has a driveway/garage. Once there's a few in an area, send the van round.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's not. It's what [MENTION=529]sparkie[/MENTION] said. When I used to sit on DVLA cases (second only to TV licensing in dullness factor) there were loads where the keeper had SORN'd the car and it had subsequently been observed parked.
It's not difficult for DVLA to check using street view to see if a property has a driveway/garage. Once there's a few in an area, send the van round.

Hope that with TVL cases you just threw them out ? Utterly ridiculous you get a criminal record for not buying a TV license ! I'm not surprised that the cases were brought though - Capita are vicious when it comes to taking people to court.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Hope that with TVL cases you just threw them out ? Utterly ridiculous you get a criminal record for not buying a TV license ! I'm not surprised that the cases were brought though - Capita are vicious when it comes to taking people to court.

Don't get me started on TVL/Capita, that's for another day....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Oh go on...I’ve got time

Ok. It criminalises women and young people disproportionately due to them being more likely to open the door to the botherers from TVL. The people they catch are often unaware that they are committing an offence as they are not responsible for the TV or the license.
Anyone who wants to avoid paying the license and never get caught can easily find out how so it mostly criminalises people for ignorance.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Not realising ?? really?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ok. It criminalises women and young people disproportionately due to them being more likely to open the door to the botherers from TVL. The people they catch are often unaware that they are committing an offence as they are not responsible for the TV or the license.
Anyone who wants to avoid paying the license and never get caught can easily find out how so it mostly criminalises people for ignorance.

Ignorance has never been an excuse in the eyes of the law.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Noticed a dramatic increase in DVLA clamps on cars round Brighton, is this for non payment of road tax?

Are the soap dodgers still encamped on Surrenden Road? Can’t imagine any of their vehicles are taxed,insured and MOT....
Seems to be a large gathering of crusty vehicles now starting to encircle Broadwater green in Worthing....ugh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Ignorance has never been an excuse in the eyes of the law.

Actually it IS an excuse, insofar as it can be used as mitigation if it can be shown that the defendant was unaware and that the lack of awareness is reasonable ("the man on the clapham omnibus" test) and not negligent or reckless.
Most people would ask, if borrowing a car, whether it was legal for them to drive it, in terms of it being taxed/insured but would they ask if the TV is licensed before watching it ? I never have.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Are the soap dodgers still encamped on Surrenden Road? Can’t imagine any of their vehicles are taxed,insured and MOT....
Seems to be a large gathering of crusty vehicles now starting to encircle Broadwater green in Worthing....ugh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They certainly are, for how long I don’t know, the tide of restricted parking moves slowly north and with that the movement of the shitty vans!

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit

How do you avoid tv liscence?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Out of interest, how many on NSC have put their car on SORN?
Of the three cars I have for three people, only one is left usable. Other two parked tightly on a small drive.
First lockdown I did see a DVLA car driving around our cul-de-sac checking cars. If they have ANPR they can just drive around, probably get more than enough fines to cover costs.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Actually it IS an excuse, insofar as it can be used as mitigation if it can be shown that the defendant was unaware and that the lack of awareness is reasonable ("the man on the clapham omnibus" test) and not negligent or reckless.
Most people would ask, if borrowing a car, whether it was legal for them to drive it, in terms of it being taxed/insured but would they ask if the TV is licensed before watching it ? I never have.

Being unaware of the speed limit being 70mph is completely inadmissible in terms of conviction for speeding. Sentencing by a magistrate/judge MAY take this into account.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here