Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is this really our best squad ever?

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve read a number of comments about us having our best squad ever.

Across the defence and midfield, this is clearly the case and in terms of both quality and depth, there can be no argument. But if you look at other positions on the pitch, that statement becomes problematic.

I’m not so sure we have the best set of goalkeepers we’ve ever had? Sanchez is just beginning and has not played enough games to warrant ‘one of our best’ just yet, the rest of our keepers seem average.

In addition, how can we have the best squad without having one of our best (historically) strikers at the club? Surely our best squad would be one with the likes of Ward, Robinson, Zamora, Murray or even Ulloa. We don’t have a number one striker at the moment who can take chances and score regularly like those 5.

Without a top finisher, or a squad with a number of players who can regularly take big chances, it’s like owning the best car you have ever had but the steering wheel is missing; you’re going nowhere!

This is not our best squad..........yet. The best squad ever should be about winning and winning is about scoring goals, this current group still has some way to go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Across the defence and midfield, this is clearly the case and in terms of both quality and depth, there can be no argument. But if you look at other positions on the pitch, that statement becomes problematic.

I’m not so sure we have the best set of goalkeepers we’ve ever had? Sanchez is just beginning and has not played enough games to warrant ‘one of our best’ just yet, the rest of our keepers seem average.

In addition, how can we have the best squad without having one of our best (historically) strikers at the club? Surely our best squad would be one with the likes of Ward, Robinson, Zamora, Murray or even Ulloa. We don’t have a number one striker at the moment who can take chances and score regularly like those 5.

Without a top finisher, or a squad with a number of players who can regularly take big chances, it’s like owning the best car you have ever had but the steering wheel is missing; you’re going nowhere!

This is not our best squad..........yet. The best squad ever should be about winning and winning is about scoring goals, this current group still has some way to go.

We have more quality in more positions than ever and I believe that even with our misfiring strikers this team would have the beating of any that I have seen, so yes 100% our best squad ever imo

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Cant speak for the past but realistically speaking its at least the squad with most potential, if its the best or not is a different question.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most of the squad are either already full internationals, U23 internationals or have the potential to be internationals. Several have European experience, major trophy wins etc. When has that ever been the case ? It’s the best by miles isn’t it ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If you look across the defence and midfield it's undoubtedly the strongest we have ever had

In wider areas we have less cover. So Solly is out and we're looking at putting Alzate (clearly a CM), or Burn, (clearly a CD) in that position. Neither has anywhere near Solly's crossing ability. On the other side, Veltman has been terrific recently, but took time to adjust to this new position.

Up front, we have lots of options, but none of them really made themselves indispensible.

The other point i'd make, is that there are 4 or 5 very decent players who aren't making the bench. Izquierdo, Ali J, Khadra, Steele, Caidedo. Plus players coming back from injury, Webby, Andone.

Probably overall, it is the strongest

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cant speak for the past but realistically speaking its at least the squad with most potential, if its the best or not is a different question.

That is beyond doubt. It’s only a matter of time before the ‘best ever’ label can be properly appropriated, we just need to see the goal scoring potential blossom in my opinion.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Best by miles. Standard of football is much higher now than in previous eras.

And the strikers named were far from prolific in the top flight in any case.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
We may have had better players in specific positions over the years, but as a team... as a whole...?

It could well be our best. In fact, it probably is.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It might not be a 100% complete squad, but that doesn't mean it's not the best squad we've ever had. Sure you can improve the current squad by putting in a peak Ulloa or Murray, but just because there's room for improvement it doesn't automatically follow that the squad isn't the best overall. I mean it's not like we're Barcelona or Man City.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That is beyond doubt. It’s only a matter of time before the ‘best ever’ label can be properly appropriated, we just need to see the goal scoring potential blossom in my opinion.

Well, I'd say it's the best squad that I've known, and with quite comfortably the best potential. I take your point about strikers but having Murray, for instance, doesn't make the B&HA squad of 2017 better than our current one.
The potential of the squad, and the style of play and player development of the management team, make this the most thrilling time to watch the Albion. Frustrating yes in terms of not maximising our undoubted ability, but definitely thrilling.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Now you've gone and done it. Old bw2 will be all over this like a rash ???

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Arguably our best squad(s) were in the early 70’s.
I’d agree the lack of a goal scorer means we currently fall short

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I can’t disagree with anything you say here, but even with its weaknesses this is still the best squad there has been at the club in my time.
Hopefully in two years time, this won’t even be worth a debate.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Remember most of the strikers listed great years was either in the easier to play top league in the early 80s or the championship / league 1. Our current strikers would have great success in the current championship / old 1st Division (Maupay scored 20+ goals for Brentford). I’m not sure that most players who played at the top (Division 1) in the early 80s would make it at this level now as the average quality of players has had a huge step change.

A good comparison would be how Scottish teams could go head to tow with best in Europe in early 80s but now can’t even get through qualifying rounds, I feel the quality in Scotland has stood still whilst premier league money has propelled the best players, coaches, sport scientists, analysts etc into the game thus improving all aspects of the game.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Arguably our best squad(s) were in the early 70’s.
With all due respect I'm not sure that a strong case can be made for an Albion early 70s squad to be better than the current one.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Zamora and Ulloa's best scoring seasons in the premier League were both 11. With more seasons and experience. Maupay got 10 last year and is on course to better it in his only seasons in the top flight. I'm not sure why they would be expected to score more

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

My opinion is that yes, this is our best squad ever - but it depends on how you want to measure it....

The strikers that you named were not routinely playing against some of the best defenders in the world, organised by some of the best managers / coaches in the world. They were playing against teams that were in the same league as them, and therefore of a different, and lower standard, than the teams we are playing now. I am taking nothing away from any of those strikers - I loved watching every one of them - but they were simply playing against a different level of team (accepting that Murray did very well in his last few years against Prem defenders).

Putting Ward in his prime against our current opposition, as brilliant as he was to us at the time - I genuinely wonder if he would have done better than our current strikers?

So, relatively speaking, our strikers are not doing as well as some of our former heroes, but 1) they are up against far better teams and 2) this current team would trounce any Brighton team of the past, in my view

Diiferent perspectives, different opinions - that's football, innit? :ascarf::shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here