Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schooling

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Got a 14 year old daughter who is being 'taught' over the interweb by (mostly) decent teachers who have been handed a bad lot.

It's next to impossible to do what's been asked of them. Many of the kids don't even turn up.

She's seen her friends for a couple of months in the last YEAR. Spends most of her time in her room on her computer. At the start we were cutting down her time on the laptop but it gets harder to enforce the longer it goes on.

The long term educational and psychological problems from these knee jerk reactionary lockdowns, on teenagers and younger, are going to affect a whole generation.

Sad to see kids not being kids and enjoying their younger days.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Got a 14 year old daughter who is being 'taught' over the interweb by (mostly) decent teachers who have been handed a bad lot.

It's next to impossible to do what's been asked of them. Many of the kids don't even turn up.

She's seen her friends for a couple of months in the last YEAR. Spends most of her time in her room on her computer. At the start we were cutting down her time on the laptop but it gets harder to enforce the longer it goes on.

The long term educational and psychological problems from these knee jerk reactionary lockdowns, on teenagers and younger, are going to affect a whole generation.

Your post was going well until your comment about knee jerk lockdowns. :facepalm:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Your post was going well until your comment about knee jerk lockdowns. :facepalm:

A report in today’s Telegraph might lend some credence....mind you it’s just a headline

Two reports by government advisers have found there is no data to show that schools are driving the spread of coronavirus
https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1361439651463053314?s=21

Ps
I’ve got a feeling that the thread will just end up with us all just repeating entrenched views

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

You have my sympathies...one can hope that the much mentioned March 8th will be true for education to recommence for all ages

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Suppose it's better than seeing their grandparents or parents die.

Kids are resilient, second World War was worse for kids and somehow they all appeared to enjoy their lives later on in the 60's

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If the government had been prepared to jerk knees a fortnight earlier each time we'd have had less than half the deaths and we'd be closer to schools getting to open.
Your angst is real and relatable. Your analysis is deeply flawed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If the government had been prepared to jerk knees a fortnight earlier each time we'd have had less than half the deaths and we'd be closer to schools getting to open.
Your angst is real and relatable. Your analysis is deeply flawed.

...and the data to back this up

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Kids are resilient, second World War was worse for kids and somehow they all appeared to enjoy their lives later on in the 60's
I wonder how many grandparents would have died if there hadn't been any lockdown at all? We know that about 500,000 die in a normal year, and this year it must be closer to 600,000 becaise of coronavirus, and that even with lockdowns the UK has had close to the highest figure of any nation. If we had gone like Sweden (intelligent but possibly misguided?) or like Brazil (total fruitcake), how much worse would it have been?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I wonder how many grandparents would have died if there hadn't been any lockdown at all? We know that about 500,000 die in a normal year, and this year it must be closer to 600,000 becaise of coronavirus, and that even with lockdowns the UK has had close to the highest figure of any nation. If we had gone like Sweden (intelligent but possibly misguided?) or like Brazil (total fruitcake), how much worse would it have been?

Undoubtedly there will be inquiries and such forth that examine the what ifs, but we are where we are. Yes it’s been hard for children but also many adults have suffered some will never recover. Hopefully the children will all live long lives and will adjust back to living normally. They are resilient generally and to me keep harping on how everyone feels sorry for them is damaging. We need to look forwards and deal with the future. If it means some need to remain in education to achieve their goals, a year longer, so be it. As long as the support is there they will hopefully live a prosperous life.

We like many have a lot of catching up to do, we haven’t seen three of our adult children or our grandchildren for 11 months.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I think our understanding of mental health is far greater now ...their is a great amount of information available to show that many in fact did not cope with what happened in WW11 ....children maybe resilient physically but I wouldn’t quite agree that all cope mentally

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Undoubtedly there will be inquiries and such forth that examine the what ifs, but we are where we are. Yes it’s been hard for children but also many adults have suffered some will never recover. Hopefully the children will all live long lives and will adjust back to living normally. They are resilient generally and to me keep harping on how everyone feels sorry for them is damaging. We need to look forwards and deal with the future. If it means some need to remain in education to achieve their goals, a year longer, so be it. As long as the support is there they will hopefully live a prosperous life.

We like many have a lot of catching up to do, we haven’t seen three of our adult children or our grandchildren for 11 months.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

That must be very hard for you ....hope that changes soon.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think our understanding of mental health is far greater now ...their is a great amount of information available to show that many in fact did not cope with what happened in WW11 ....children maybe resilient physically but I wouldn’t quite agree that all cope mentally

You're right we do know a lot more and it is something very close to home for me. We have dealt with issues in our family both with my father and with my son, who now 19 missed over a year of schooling.

However one thing that we know is that positivity is key. There's too much negative in the World without this covid coming along. The constant reminding of the every day buzz words relating to mental health, so much so some believe there's something wrong with them if they aren't suffering and are happy.

I attended courses for years on mental health, going back to the 80's when I was asked by my company to act as a councillor (laymen). I appreciate the need to expand the awareness and welcome the fact people should no longer feel ashamed to have mental health issues. You do have to be careful though, tell people often enough and they all end up with it. The worse thing my grandmother ever got given was a medical dictionary, she had every ailment known to man, died eventually in her late 90's! The reason I say this is because it's like coming across an accident, two people lying there one screaming one alive but silent, who do you go to first, we know it's the silent one.

Those openly able to talk about their mental health are typically dealing with it, still may need help and understanding, but it's the silent ones I worry about. Most of us know our children's head space and in the last year we as parents, even of adult children, have had a huge role to play. As we come out of lockdown our role perhaps will be even greater as we all pick up our lives.

We need to see a step change in the media, we need a positive slant to the news, not picking holes in everything.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You're right we do know a lot more and it is something very close to home for me. We have dealt with issues in our family both with my father and with my son, who now 19 missed over a year of schooling.

However one thing that we know is that positivity is key. There's too much negative in the World without this covid coming along. The constant reminding of the every day buzz words relating to mental health, so much so some believe there's something wrong with them if they aren't suffering and are happy.

I attended courses for years on mental health, going back to the 80's when I was asked by my company to act as a councillor (laymen). I appreciate the need to expand the awareness and welcome the fact people should no longer feel ashamed to have mental health issues. You do have to be careful though, tell people often enough and they all end up with it. The worse thing my grandmother ever got given was a medical dictionary, she had every ailment known to man, died eventually in her late 90's! The reason I say this is because it's like coming across an accident, two people lying there one screaming one alive but silent, who do you go to first, we know it's the silent one.

Those openly able to talk about their mental health are typically dealing with it, still may need help and understanding, but it's the silent ones I worry about. Most of us know our children's head space and in the last year we as parents, even of adult children, have had a huge role to play. As we come out of lockdown our role perhaps will be even greater as we all pick up our lives.

We need to see a step change in the media, we need a positive slant to the news, not picking holes in everything.

:thumbsup:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If they had just locked down for March and April when it first happened then you could have had everything open since, like much of Asia. Or April and May. Instead the UK hasn’t even had an actual lockdown yet as in the current thing everyone is off having walks daily just for the sake of it and even meeting up with certain people. Here everything has been open since the summer (after an actual proper lockdown) so about 8 months of normal life and everyone wears mask and shield for everything outside their home. EVERYONE. Common sense if things can go back to normal because of it then you just do it. No stress or discomfort despite sweltering heat. No team sports is about the only thing affecting me for the past half year. That and no International travel.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It seems ludicrous to open the schools before the Easter holidays. Use the 3 extra weeks to really hammer down the virus and save lives. If necessary add the 3 weeks back on to the school year in the summer.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Also there seems to be a very wide spectrum of mental illness in that some will consider being a little anxious about something all the way through to being suicidal. Part of the problem for some kids is no doubt they are constantly being asked by parents if they are ok or they are witness to parents constantly moaning or posting about how bad the situation is.

As for WW II, whilst our understanding is better, I would still suggest that kids coped far better with that 6 year period than with this 12 month one. Possible due to more info being freely available now, much of which is complete tripe.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It seems ludicrous to open the schools before the Easter holidays. Use the 3 extra weeks to really hammer down the virus and save lives. If necessary add the 3 weeks back on to the school year in the summer.

That makes sense to me.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I feel very sorry for all the children and families that have had to cope with the prolonged home schooling. I'm sure the novelty wore off a long time ago.

It will be interesting to see if the removal of 'normal' schooling will have given youngsters a bigger appetite for learning in the future.
And whether parents will now have an increased respect for teachers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here