Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] 35 Years Ago Today- THAT Match In The Frozen Fens

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Feb 9, 2012
perth
That was true hardcore...remember everyone getting off the coach and walking through the snow to get into town after the cops tried to stop us getting to the pubs too early. Perhaps that's why my only memory of the game is now pretty much limited to everyone pissing on my feet because they couldnt face battling their way back up the terrace to the pigsty that doubled as a toilet- Either that or it was personal, I guess.

These youngters dont know what they're missing. Really who wants Premier league when you could be doing that every week?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That was true hardcore...remember everyone getting off the coach and walking through the snow to get into town after the cops tried to stop us getting to the pubs too early. Perhaps that's why my only memory of the game is now pretty much limited to everyone pissing on my feet because they couldnt face battling their way back up the terrace to the pigsty that doubled as a toilet- Either that or it was personal, I guess.

These youngters dont know what they're missing. Really who wants Premier league when you could be doing that every week?

I would have glad let someone piss on my feet that day. They were so cold.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I was there.

Everyone going up on the official travel got given free red Albion scarves.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
That was SO cold. I remember we ended up having to stand in a part of the terrace where one of the entrance tunnels was directly behind us, a few rows back. It meant the ice cold wind was being funneled through the tunnel and onto us like a knife. Bloody freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Packed in that away end, one of my favourite away days that.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
On the Seagulls Special trains there and back. Was a great day out, though I remember being worried at how packed in we were, with Heysel and Hillsborough in mind.

My mate was undergoing cancer treatment and understandably as he was only 18 or 19, tried wearing a wig. We were near the back an d a couple of our fans sat on a wall higher up to get a better view. They were bickering annoyingly for ages, but in the end started kicking each other whilst still on the wall. On took a swipe at his mate, missed and rather less fortuitously took my friend's wig off. It sailed over heads and he had to push his way through the crowd to retrieve the offending article. Poor chap was very embarrassed.

Can't remember the game, except for our goal and the awful conditions. I have lost the scarf.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ridiculously over crowded in that away end. I seem to remember people climbing over the fences when we scored.I took a Sheffield U supporting mate from uni who said it was the best atmosphere he had ever seen. The surging across the terrace at the end when everyone tried to leave through two exits was a bit scary.
Like many others I look fondly back on that day as one of the best aways ever.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05c-kp7DaXw&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=CLASSIC80's&90'sFOOTBALL

Peterborough United away in the FA Cup Fifth Round.

How Digweed wasn't sent off is still a mystery. The goal that hit a lump of ice and bounced in is part of the footage.

*before the resident fairy arrives there was a little bit of bovver at one of the pubs beforehand.

Had the professional foul rule been brought in by then? Seem to recall it came about following discussion from the previous years final when Moran took out Reid.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Had the professional foul rule been brought in by then? Seem to recall it came about following discussion from the previous years final when Moran took out Reid.

No. World Cup 1990, but was probably discussed before that I imagine.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Remember one of the Peterborough goals bumping over a snow divet on the ground and bouncing over Digweed's outstretched arm. That was a great day out although bloody cold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here