Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Crown Court.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Would have been late 70,s into the 80,s early afternoon slot if i am correct and wasn't it scripted until the verdict which was twelve members the general public ?

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Used to love that programme. Found some of the episodes quite scary as a kid. Prepared me for jury service in later life which was equally fascinating and also a bit scary.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Loved it. At a very limited televisual buffet table it was the warm sausage rolls.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Used to love that programme. Found some of the episodes quite scary as a kid. Prepared me for jury service in later life which was equally fascinating and also a bit scary.

I loved it too, lunchtime viewing in school holidays. Great theme music.

I sat on a couple of juries about 4 years ago, I quite liked it. Must admit that I forgot this programme from my youth at the time.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I loved it too, lunchtime viewing in school holidays. Great theme music.

I sat on a couple of juries about 4 years ago, I quite liked it. Must admit that I forgot this programme from my youth at the time.

I loved doing it. Had a couple of really interesting cases. All feels like a bit of a game at the time, until you have to stand up and give the verdict....all becomes very real then (defence barrister asked for bail, Judge looks at him sternly and says ‘I beg your pardon ? Your client has just been convicted of xxxxx and poses a clear danger to the public. Absolutely not’)

The CPS barrister in the first case I did was absolutely brilliant. He utterly dismantled the defendant piece by piece over 4 days, it was brutal to watch, but very clever.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I loved doing it. Had a couple of really interesting cases. All feels like a bit of a game at the time, until you have to stand up and give the verdict....all becomes very real then (defence barrister asked for bail, Judge looks at him sternly and says ‘I beg your pardon ? Your client has just been convicted of xxxxx and poses a clear danger to the public. Absolutely not’)

The CPS barrister in the first case I did was absolutely brilliant. He utterly dismantled the defendant piece by piece over 4 days, it was brutal to watch, but very clever.

Also got two interesting cases, each lasting a week. Very lucky, others sat in the jury lounge doing nothing for their stint. Out of a large pool of us at Hove CC, when they read out the random names for the second case, ten of us from the first jury were selected again. I got on well with everyone, a real mixed bunch as you’d expect in our part of the world.

I found the human dynamics of the jury interesting. A couple of “Let’s cut to the chase, they’re clearly guilty” types .... said at the first coffee break. Juxtaposed to an eclectic bunch of Brightonians. The hangem’s didn’t get their wish, we went through all our notes on the evidence and legal directions from the judge methodically. A charismatic vicar was the chairperson.

Similarly, two very good prosecution barristers.

We were able to see through some exaggerating by a prosecution witness, I thought it quite clever the way we worked that out on our own. The final stage was gently persuading fence sitters on why they should steer a certain way if they felt comfortable with that. A couple of bullies tried to get them to hurry up, so they could get back to normal life. The bullies were eased to one side.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Also got two interesting cases, each lasting a week. Very lucky, others sat in the jury lounge doing nothing for their stint. Out of a large pool of us at Hove CC, when they read out the random names for the second case, ten of us from the first jury were selected again. I got on well with everyone, a real mixed bunch as you’d expect in our part of the world.

I found the human dynamics of the jury interesting. A couple of “Let’s cut to the chase, they’re clearly guilty” types .... said at the first coffee break. Juxtaposed to an eclectic bunch of Brightonians. The hangem’s didn’t get their wish, we went through all our notes on the evidence and legal directions from the judge methodically. A charismatic vicar was the chairperson.

We were able to see through some exaggerating by a prosecution witness, I thought it quite clever the way we worked that out on our own. The final stage was gently persuading fence sitters on why they should steer a certain way if they felt comfortable with that. A couple of bullies tried to get them to hurry up, so they could get back to normal life. The bullies were eased to one side.

So you were a member of the public ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Would have been late 70,s into the 80,s early afternoon slot if i am correct and wasn't it scripted until the verdict which was twelve members the general public ?

What I find particularly skilled about your posts, LBG, is that when I read them I always feel like I’ve just walked into a room halfway through a conversation I’ve missed the start of.

In different times you could have written for Play For Today, of that I’m certain.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Think it was on a bit earlier than that. Early/mid 70s? On about 2pm. After Indoor League with Fred Trueman

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What I find particularly skilled about your posts, LBG, is that when I read them I always feel like I’ve just walked into a room halfway through a conversation I’ve missed the start of.

In different times you could have written for Play For Today, of that I’m certain.

I sometimes think that whatever random thought pops up in his head....he will start a thread about it. :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Think it was on a bit earlier than that. Early/mid 70s? On about 2pm. After Indoor League with Fred Trueman

Indoor League with Fred Trueman? Am I the only one in this thread that hasn’t been abusing solvents tonight?

Last edited:

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I had a very similar experience but only sat on one case that lasted two days. We had almost exactly the same dynamic of jurors, even one who said "of course he did it, he's Greek, they're all dodgy". Thank goodness we had enough level headed jurors to ignore his opinion. But genuinely quite scary that a person's freedom could be in the hands of a juror who finds that way of thinking acceptable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here