Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your best starting XI ?

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Theoretical of course, but was pondering what a possible starting lineup might look like if all of the squad are available for selection, and realised I couldn’t find a sensible answer without leaving out bloody good players, either on the bench or not involved at all (Moder, Karbo for example).

Some really tough calls........but something like this maybe ?

Sanchez
White Dunk Webster
Veltman Biss Lallana March
Ali Mac
Trossard Maupay

Bench

Steele
Lamptey
Alzate
Burn
Groß
Connolly
Welbeck

What would you do ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sanchez
Veltman-Dunk(c)-Webster
Lamptey-White-Bissouma-March
Mac Allister
Trossard-Maupay​

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
@OP - how can you have Lamptey on the bench? First name for me when fully fit.

Sanchez

White
Dunk
Webster

Lamptey
Bissouma
Lallana
March

Mac Allister
Trossard
Welbeck

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That’s exactly the kind of thing I was wrestling with........so Ali Mac or Lallana on the bench ?? (Rhetorical question, no need to answer necessarily)

Lallana bench. Gross, Biss and Ali Mac have to play. Then we need a striker to convert the endless array of chances.

Bissouma is Kante breaking it up and feeding Gross as De Bruyne and MacAllister as Silva. (different teams, I know).

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Sanchez
White - Dunk - Webster
Lamptey - Bissouma - Lallana - March
Mac Allister
Welbeck - Trossard​

Really tough call between Lallana and Groß playing alongside Bis tbh

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Sanchez

Lamptey
White
Dunk
Webster
March

Gross
Ali Mac
Bissouma

Maupay
Trossard/Welbeck.

For me there is no question on the goalkeeper and back five.
The midfield trio of Gross, Mac and Biss have been instrumental in our turn around of form, so they pick themselves. Seens steange to keave Lallana out, but that's what happens when you're injury prone - you can never cement your place. And then for the same reason there a question mark on Trossard/Welbeck. Without doubt a fit injury free Welbeck who could play every week would probably be the best striker at the club by a county mile...but he's not, so Trossard probably just edges it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sanchez

Veltman, Dunk, Webster

Lamptey, Gross, Bissouma, March

Lallana

Trossard, Maupay

Most difficult indeed is putting one of Gross/Ali Mac/Lallana on the bench. White is also someone who "should" be in the eleven but.. it is what it is. Not a Welbeck fan so I'll Trossard and Maupay up front.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sanchez
Veltman Dunk Webster March
Lamptey Bissouma White Trossard
Ali Mac
Maupay/Welbeck

Tross and Ali Mac to alternate between the centre and wide left. 4411 morphing into 3421 according to Potter's instruction and the opposition. Welbeck and Maupay to share the role, according to form and opposition. Tough on Gross. Exciting times.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
This is a thread Ive thought about starting a few times but as my threads rarely make it past 1 page Im glad someone else has done it.

Sanchez
White Dunk Webster
Lamptey Biss Gross Ali Mac March
Tross
Welbeck

Veltman for Lamptey for certain occasions
Lallana coming on for Ali Mac/Gross
Maupay for Welbeck
Karbo for March
Where do we fit Caceido/Moder/Alzate/Molumby/Andone/BDB?

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
@OP - how can you have Lamptey on the bench? First name for me when fully fit.

Sanchez

White
Dunk
Webster

Lamptey
Bissouma
Lallana
March

Mac Allister
Trossard
Welbeck

First ? Nowhere near that yet for me, and Veltman has been fantastic..........

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Maupay wouldn't be anywhere near our best XI in my opinion - too wasteful, not fast enough, too selfish. Only Welbeck of our central strikers is among our best 12 or 13 players, while six of our defenders are, so one of them has to be left out. Maybe Potter was onto something with his false nine formation against Arsenal - he just used the wrong players.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Sanchez
White, Dunk, Webster
Lamptey, Bissouma, Lallana, March
Mac Allister, Trossard
Welbeck

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The concept of ‘best eleven’ is incredibly outdated unless you are linking it to a certain fixture and then considering the multitude of factors a manager must ponder on such as form, fatigue, opposition, formation, suspensions, up coming fixtures, home or away etc.

However, this thread is highlighting what a fantastic squad we have so I’ll join in.

————————Sanchez————————
————White——Dunk——Webster——-
Lamptey—Bissouma—-Groß———March
————-Troß————-Mac Allister———
———————-Welbeck————————-

That said, if Lallana get’s a run of matches and find some form, he starts. Obviously Veltman is in against most of the top half after his Grealish-in-my-pocket performance and Alzate was an absolute beast in central midfield before injuries and ‘that’ illness.

Maupay & Connolly are better natural finishers than Welbeck in my opinion and if both had the confidence and goals they were getting in the Championship & EPL2 respectively, either could be top dog.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here