Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A New Year, A New Dawn

el punal

Disappointing as it was that we didn’t beat Villa we can at least reflect on the progress the team have made since the start of January :

Played 8 Won 3 Drawn 4 Lost 1 Points 13.

In that set of results are three very convincing wins against Leeds, Tottenham, and of course, the unforgettable away victory at Liverpool. The one loss being at a bang-in-form Man City (0-1) where the performance won us many plaudits.

Then we had the necessary “grab a point while you can” draws - Wolves (3-3) a fight back after being 1-3 at halftime and looking dead and buried. For me, that game transformed Albion’s fortunes - our luck changed for the better (at last!) and our confidence grew.
There was the absolutely knackered, mentally and physically, draw at Burnley. And, the two could’ve, should’ve fixtures with Fulham and Villa.

So what’s changed? We are still playing attractive, pleasing on the eye football without the cutting edge. We have managed to get the ball in the net though when it really counts, to get those three wins and score draws - something that was not happening at the end of last year. The big improvement has been the defence. Whether it’s Spanish Bob in goal or the the likes of Webster, White, Dunk, Burn, Veltman all gelling. All reflected in the goals conceded, just two in the last seven games.

Can we now relax a bit? We are now 11 points clear of relegation. Over the last three seasons, at roughly the same number of games played, the points difference was anything less than 5. I would like to see us despatch our next opponents (Palace !! and West Brom) to truly justify that we’ve turned the corner. One thing is for sure, I’m a damn sight more relaxed now than I was on 31st of December! :drink:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Agree. Just need Muzzas younger brother to come in and we'd be top 10 material.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And if we beat Palace, we go above them on GD.

That'll do me.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Target man required. Argument over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I don't remember they being any argument over that point was there?

Lol [emoji23] have you ever been here before!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Disappointing as it was that we didn’t beat Villa we can at least reflect on the progress the team have made since the start of January :

In that set of results are three very convincing wins against Leeds, Tottenham, and of course, the unforgettable away victory at Liverpool. The one loss being at a bang-in-form Man City (0-1) where the performance won us many plaudits.

Then we had the necessary “grab a point while you can” draws - Wolves (3-3) a fight back after being 1-3 at halftime and looking dead and buried. For me, that game transformed Albion’s fortunes - our luck changed for the better (at last!) and our confidence grew.
There was the absolutely knackered, mentally and physically, draw at Burnley. And, the two could’ve, should’ve fixtures with Fulham and Villa.

So what’s changed? We are still playing attractive, pleasing on the eye football without the cutting edge. We have managed to get the ball in the net though when it really counts, to get those three wins and score draws - something that was not happening at the end of last year. The big improvement has been the defence. Whether it’s Spanish Bob in goal or the the likes of Webster, White, Dunk, Burn, Veltman all gelling. All reflected in the goals conceded, just two in the last seven games.

Can we now relax a bit? We are now 11 points clear of relegation. Over the last three seasons, at roughly the same number of games played, the points difference was anything less than 5. I would like to see us despatch our next opponents (Palace !! and West Brom) to truly justify that we’ve turned the corner. One thing is for sure, I’m a damn sight more relaxed now than I was on 31st of December! :drink:

Good post. 100% we are playing so well just need that cutting edge but all the time we defend as well as we are we aren't going to lose many games. GP finally seems to know his best team and the lack of changes has really contributed to our current run of form.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

11 points is also the difference to 7th place, I think we will all be looking at the tracker again soon, to see how we are doing compared to the Europe target, rather than the staying up metric.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here