Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton shooting accuracy

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Better tonight with 38%, but I thought the below was pretty telling from F365:

"Brighton – lowest shots on target percentage (25.2) in the League
Graham Potter’s side rank ninth in the league for shots (11.9) but they’re wayward to say the least. Danny Welbeck has the highest on target percentage of any of them with 40%, but that still doesn’t put him in the top 50 players in the Premier League."

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We have enough quality in defence and midfield to be a really decent side. Unfortunately, we have a lack of quality in the final third, both in supply and finishing. Time and time again, players cross the ball, more in hope than expectation. Not good enough at this level. We regularly start well, create a clear chance and don't take it. We lose that opportunity for early momentum and then a lot of huffing and puffing and frustration follows. We also have no one who can take a decent free kick. Three or four dangerous positions tonight, all wasted. Our defending and approach play is excellent. Its that last bit of quality that eludes us.
I don't think its going to change much with the current personnel, therefore it has to be priority no.1 to keep looking to upgrade our forward positions, as long as we are in the PL. Welbeck is experienced and has that touch of class, to run into the channels and pull defenders out of position. He is not a prolific scorer, however and at present, Maupay takes too many wrong decisions. The other three have a lot to do to prove they are good enough. But its six games unbeaten and five clean sheets and if we beat Palace, the lack of goals will be forgotten for another game.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think any of Maupay, Connolly, Zeqiri or Wellbeck have made a compelling case for inclusion

If we can have a look at how Andone is getting on this season that would be great.

We need to overhaul on the summer

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s an area we clearly need to improve on. But it’s weird as it’s not often a whole team / squad have the same issues...! Can’t get my head around what it is...

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Isn’t this exaggerated that we lack quality in the final third? That was a period a few weeks back.

We’re creating with great play, but don’t have the quality and coolness of mind to bury the chances.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
If I didn't think it was a fallacy that strikers "aim" and "place" their shots I'd suggest Target Fixation plays a part.
But as I do, I don't think it does.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Isn’t this exaggerated that we lack quality in the final third? That was a period a few weeks back.

We’re creating with great play, but don’t have the quality and coolness of mind to bury the chances.

Maybe I'm tired and full of wine but isn't this the same thing?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I think Tony should just spunk £500 million pounds of his own money on Mbappe and Haaland and be done with it. :thumbsup:

Tony has not been charged for this information.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe I'm tired and full of wine but isn't this the same thing?

Down to interpretations I guess.

I thought that poor in the final third meant poor creating big chances as well as scoring.

Something we were for a while eg Burnley and Sheff Utd at the Amex.

But now we’re creating again. Martinez made 7 saves.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
It has been a MASSIVE oversight by our recruitment team. Glenn Murray was obviously going to go at some point yet no-one deemed it urgent enough to seek out an experienced (and uninjured) replacement for our prolific strikers departure. Maupay has some merits but is not clinical enough to be a Premier League clubs top forward. It annoys me that this situation hasn’t been rectified by now, and it’s wasting a lot of the good squad building happening under Potter.

I mean, for heavens sake, some were even calling for Potter to be sacked not long ago, that’s how poor this situation was allowed to get by those who should be doing something about it. Thankfully Graham has now quietened those voices, it could and should have been avoided though.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It has been a MASSIVE oversight by our recruitment team. Glenn Murray was obviously going to go at some point yet no-one deemed it urgent enough to seek out an experienced (and uninjured) replacement for our prolific strikers departure. Maupay has some merits but is not clinical enough to be a Premier League clubs top forward. It annoys me that this situation hasn’t been rectified by now, and it’s wasting a lot of the good squad building happening under Potter.

I mean, for heavens sake, some were even calling for Potter to be sacked not long ago, that’s how poor this situation was allowed to get by those who should be doing something about it. Thankfully Graham has now quietened those voices, it could and should have been avoided though.

I’m sure the club want that (mobile) centre forward too, but they just don’t seem to be around.

Watkins is raved about on NSC, but his fee rises to £33m on top of his 5 year contract costing a reported £19.5m. Villa have thrown financial sustainability rules out of the window, but TB won’t it seems go down that route. We were never in the race to sign him. A risky business - West Ham spent £45m on Haller and Newcastle £40m on Joelinton, to sign that elusive striker .... both duds.

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Awful.if we were at war we would all be dead.
Need to stop trying to put it through a tyre in the
top corner and just smash it at the goal.

I think they are smashing it at the goal a lot. . . Or at the keeper. Players need to relax a bit . . .Look at Salahs' finish yesterday, passed it into a gap. Couldn't have been calmer if he'd just had 2 lungs full of finest Moroccan from a hooker pipe.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We have enough quality in defence and midfield to be a really decent side. Unfortunately, we have a lack of quality in the final third, both in supply and finishing. Time and time again, players cross the ball, more in hope than expectation. Not good enough at this level. We regularly start well, create a clear chance and don't take it. We lose that opportunity for early momentum and then a lot of huffing and puffing and frustration follows. We also have no one who can take a decent free kick. Three or four dangerous positions tonight, all wasted. Our defending and approach play is excellent. Its that last bit of quality that eludes us.
I don't think its going to change much with the current personnel, therefore it has to be priority no.1 to keep looking to upgrade our forward positions, as long as we are in the PL. Welbeck is experienced and has that touch of class, to run into the channels and pull defenders out of position. He is not a prolific scorer, however and at present, Maupay takes too many wrong decisions. The other three have a lot to do to prove they are good enough. But its six games unbeaten and five clean sheets and if we beat Palace, the lack of goals will be forgotten for another game.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

This. And I have said this repeatedly to much derision by the oh so knowledgeable posters on here. When are they going to admit they are wrong? I suspect never. But, as long as the club’s leader’s finally wake up to this, then I suspect we will achieve our top 10 strategic goal...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I’m sure the club want that (mobile) centre forward too, but they just don’t seem to be around.

Watkins is raved about on NSC, but his fee rises to £33m on top of his 5 year contract costing a reported £19.5m. Villa have thrown financial sustainability rules out of the window, but TB won’t it seems go down that route. We were never in the race to sign him. A risky business - West Ham spent £45m on Haller and Newcastle £40m on Joelinton, to sign that elusive striker .... both duds.

Too easy going on the recruitment team’s obvious failure. This is what they are paid for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here