Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford stop taking the knee.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Ah there we go. People churn that one out all the time. The claim that " Black People are responsible for their own slavery "

White Slave Owners only kept it going for 400 years for their own good .

Barbaric Argument. This crops up on Social Media all the time. In some segments of Society there is simply no remorse. It is no wonder we can never seem to move forward in unity.

That is very rude and I would invite you to read what I said and explain what is wrong with it. I am interested in history and read it without looking for "goodies and baddies". I also would perhaps invite you to also consider that slavery is not a "white pigmentation of skin against black pigmentation of skin" issue. It is a human condition that all pigmentation of skin have and currently still do engage in. The main point I was seeking to make was however point 2 that you didnt respond to at all. But instead allude to the quest for historical accuracy as being barbaric. I have to say I do not follow how the quest for a greater understanding of the past can be barbaric. History is interesting so why would you leave elements out?

Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Not sure why anyone loving now should have “remorse” for the slave trade. I wouldn’t expect the descendants of pit and mill owners to have remorse that their ancestors had mine hard at work in dangerous conditions when they were kids. It wasn’t them that did it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This situation reminds me of the 'Clap for the NHS' situation, where even the founder of that realised it was the right time to end it, and pretty much everyone stopped doing it at the same time (after 10 weeks I believe).

The NHS have been even more busy in the second lockdown but they know how united the nation is behind them.

In the same way, taking the knee needs to end simultaneously - maybe on the first anniversary - otherwise there are going to be weeks of debate of whether clubs are tight to stop doing it, and the strength of the act solidarity - will be lost.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Threatening clubs and players to kneel in subservience or else won’t prove anything.

Using that logic, every sci-fi geek at my school was committed to gay rights because at break times they’d yell out “I’m gay.” But at the time they were being pinned against the wall by a couple of thugs who’d told them to shout that out for the amusement of other thugs and their girlfriends, or else they’d be subjected to some form of punishment (half Nelson or Chinese burns usually). So it proved nothing at all.

“Taking the knee” (another ghastly media buzzword) is tainted by BLM. People saw rioting during lockdown, public property being damaged, and the police kneeling in subservience to the mob. That’s what a lot of people are thinking when they see footballers kneeling.

Do-gooders are oblivious to this, content in their virtue signalling, but the fact that racist abuse has increased suggests that, as always, middle class activists do more harm than good when they meddle.

Here are two things that I think will lessen the problem.

1. Scrap kneeling.
2. Stop the media publicising it when people send racist Tweets. Acting like it’s the most heinous thing ever will just encourage copycats.

Your solution to the FA forcing players and clubs to take the knee seems to be to force the players and clubs not to take the knee.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not sure why anyone loving now should have “remorse” for the slave trade. I wouldn’t expect the descendants of pit and mill owners to have remorse that their ancestors had mine hard at work in dangerous conditions when they were kids. It wasn’t them that did it.

Does anyone require us to feel remorse?

An understanding of it perhaps?
A working knowledge of the effects of the slave trade on the modern world, maybe?
A sense of sadness that people would have treated each other like that, maybe?

But I have never felt and pressure that while loving I should have remorse (Sic)

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Does anyone require us to feel remorse?

An understanding of it perhaps?
A working knowledge of the effects of the slave trade on the modern world, maybe?
A sense of sadness that people would have treated each other like that, maybe?

But I have never felt and pressure that while loving I should have remorse (Sic)

NooBHA said we should feel remorse.

I guess he thinks Italians should also feel remorse for the Roman Empire’s enslavement of Britons.

But let’s not forget that slavery still exists in the modern world.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The wording 'scrap kneeling' to me suggests a lot more than a suggestion.

I said I think it’ll lessen the problem.

I didn’t say “and they’d better do this or else”

Sounds like you’re hearing what you want to hear and not what was actually said.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
NooBHA said we should feel remorse.

I guess he thinks Italians should also feel remorse for the Roman Empire’s enslavement of Britons.

But let’s not forget that slavery still exists in the modern world.

I didn't take that as individuals feeling remorse. More that we as a society feel that way. Your post seemed to be more about feeling remorse as individual responsibility.

If remorse is the stress and guilt felt from past wrongdoings then I think we as a society should feel some for the heinous actions that said society has done in the past. This way we can learn and grow from history and ensure that we don't repeat the same errors.

Indiviually though we are not required to feel remorse for these actions as, as you so rightly point out, we were not individually responsible for them.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
How about a 1 point deduction for every player that fails to kneel , That will put an end to any thoughts of this nonsense coming from Brentford

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I said I think it’ll lessen the problem.

I didn’t say “and they’d better do this or else”

Sounds like you’re hearing what you want to hear and not what was actually said.

Always the trouble with written communication - people hear what they want to hear :lolol::lolol:

I would still argue that the word 'scrap' suggests far more than a suggestion. When something is 'scrapped' it is stopped. No suggestion of options or choice in the word 'scrap' . . . to my mind anyway.

To be fair though I didn't really 'want' to hear anything I just pointed out the way your post came across to me. I thought it was ironic that you started by suggesting that people were being forced into doing something they didn't want to do and ended with a forceful, inflexible verb like 'scrap'.

What is interesting to me though is how you think that scrapping/suggesting that the players stop taking the knee will lessen the problem (racism?).

You even seem to suggest that taking the knee is making racism worse. How have you made that connection?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Players/Celebs should just close accounts, that will speed things up

And change our culture for the better 100%.. Mrs just been showing me peoples ‘valentines dinners’ all for Facebook with pics of tables with balloons etc etc ‘for the kids’ - just close Facebook that’s the best option.. :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ban social media, world was a much better place before it came along!

Ah I wrote my reply above before seeing your comment! Hell yeh! Breeds anxiety, toxicity and is fake and largely used regularly by fake people trying to lie about their lives and sharing pointless information for false replies and likes and it’s also a thing for nosey gossips - ban it all - mainstream, I don’t count NSC etc...!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Another bad thing about social media is that people in power think it reflects real life.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
The Football League's should insist on it. And those teams who don't want to do it should go and play somewhere else.

It is a symbol that the Club's are committed in the fight against Racism and if you're not for it then you are against it. That's the reality of the facts.

So if they don't take the knee, then they aren't committed to fighting racism? Seems like a knee-jerk reaction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here