Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mesher Order - profit of sale

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Question for someone who might know about these things...

My partner was divorced a few years ago and the arrangement with her house was settled on the basis of what I've discovered is known as a 'Mesher Order'. In other words, she gets to live in the property until her youngest child is 17, at which point the property must be sold and profit of sale split between her and her ex-spouse with some specified percentage. What I'm trying to figure out for her, is how the 'profit of sale' is defined, and where the mortgage fits into it. Here is the scenario - figures are very approximate.

They initially bought the house in 1998 for 100,000 - with a mortgage of 80,000.
In 2008 they remortgaged. House value was 200,000, the mortgage (interest only) was for 130,000
In 2014 they divorced. Mesher order issued, which is triggered in 2023. Profit of sale to be split (lets say) 60/40 in her favour. She pays the mortgage.

So come 2023, lets say the house is sold for 400,000 and lets say there is 140,000 outstanding on the mortgage.

It doesn't seem to me that the outstanding mortgage would be the factor that determined the profit - for example she might have been overpaying it (she hasn't) - and in that situation, it wouldn't seem fair that her overpayments (or underpayments for that matter) should affect the amount he gets.

To my mind, the profit should be calculated based on the 2008 house value, i.e. the point when the last mortgage was started. For this example - the profit of sale would be 200,000.

Is there anyone out there who knows about these things that could shed a light on how this 'profit of sale' value is calculated?

Thanks in advance.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Order should explicitly state what happens regarding mortgage payments, additional advances etc shouldn’t it ? There shouldn’t be any doubt over the split on sale if the order has been properly drafted..........

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The best advice I can give is: Consult a solicitor.
30-60 minutes should cover it and won't cost a fortune.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2018
I would expect the order to reference the exact split of equity and be heavily caveated on any refinance applications and imagine consent from both parties is needed to capital raise.

Overpayments would also be factored

My advice read the order in detail or get someone to read it for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here