Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cheapo Brighton Squad

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Was chatting with Spurs season ticket holder I work with last week and he could't believe it when I said our match day squad probably didn't add up to £100 mil. I thought I'd check. I haven't done any deep research and my memory is not what it was but this is what I remember of the 11 players who have played the most minutes this season.

Sanchez free
Webster 20
Dunk free
White free
Veltman <1
March free
Biss 6
Gross 3
Trossard 6?
Maupay 20
Burn (playing slightly out of position) 4?

Those with ? I am very unsure of my memory.

So if my figures are right we don't even make £60 mill for the 11 most used players. Is this the cheapest squad in the prem?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Think Bissouma was a bit more. 10+ I thought. And Trossard closer to 20.

edit: Several online sources suggest Biss was ~15 million. Tross 18.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was chatting with Spurs season ticket holder I work with last week and he could't believe it when I said our match day squad probably didn't add up to £100 mil.I thought I'd check. I haven't done any deep research and my memory is not what it was but this is what I remember of the 11 players who have played the most minutes this season.

Sanchez free
Webster 20
Dunk free
White free
Veltman <1
March free
Biss 6
Gross 3
Trossard 6?
Maupay 20

So if my figures are right we don't even make £60 mill for the 11 most used players. Is this the cheapest squad in the prem?

Bang for buck, who's got the best deal: us or Spurs? :lolol:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
It's the players not in the team that cost all the money.

Our team of outcasts is far more expensive than the current team on the pitch.

Agree to an extent but not on the list are Lamptey, Lallana, Welbeck, Allimac, Alzate, Connolly, Proper, Tau and swiss Andy. Not the most expensive bunch of footballers in the Prem.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Was chatting with Spurs season ticket holder I work with last week and he could't believe it when I said our match day squad probably didn't add up to £100 mil. I thought I'd check. I haven't done any deep research and my memory is not what it was but this is what I remember of the 11 players who have played the most minutes this season.

Sanchez free
Webster 20
Dunk free
White free
Veltman <1
March free
Biss 6
Gross 3
Trossard 6?
Maupay 20

Biss was £15m and Trossard was £16.

But yeah, a very cheap 11.

It would be a lot higher if you include the flops like Ali J and Locadia, and then the other players in the squad e.g Propper, Moder, Mac, Izzy etc.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Sanchez free
Webster 20
Dunk free
White free
Veltman <1
March free
Biss 6
Gross 3
Trossard 6?
Maupay 20

Burnley and Sheffield United must be much, much cheaper than ours.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Biss was £15m and Trossard was £16.

But yeah, a very cheap 11.

It would be a lot higher if you include the flops like Ali J and Locadia, and then the other players in the squad e.g Propper, Moder, Mac, Izzy etc.

Thanks for that, I knew some of my figures would be wrong. So most played minutes squad now up around £80 mil.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
This fairly realistic starting eleven cost £8.5m

Sanchez £0
Lamptey £3m
March £0
Dunk £0
Veltman £900k
Burn £4.5m
White £0
Alzate £110k
Lallana £0
Connolly £0
Wellbeck £0

Subs
Gross £3m
Steele £0
Tau £2.5m
Karbownik £3m
Zeqiri £3.6m

And to think the recruitment team get stick

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
This fairly realistic starting eleven cost £8.5m

Sanchez £0
Lamptey £3m
March £0
Dunk £0
Veltman £900k
Burn £4.5m
White £0
Alzate £110k
Lallana £0
Connolly £0
Wellbeck £0

Subs
Gross £3m
Steele £0
Tau £2.5m
Karbownik £3m
Zeqiri £3.6m

And to think the recruitment team get stick

If we ignored all my mistakes at work, I would look pretty great too.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
If we ignored all my mistakes at work, I would look pretty great too.

No club gets transfers 100% right, especially with strikers. The recruitment team have hardly put a foot wrong in the past two seasons. Pretty much every signing plays. The only thing they have not achieved is signing a 15 goal a season striker, but that debate has been done to death.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
No club gets transfers 100% right, especially with strikers. The recruitment team have hardly put a foot wrong in the past two seasons. Pretty much every signing plays. The only thing they have not achieved is signing a 15 goal a season striker, but that debate has been done to death.

Agreed. And FWIW, I think the recruitment team do a great job. But we can't ignore the mistakes.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Agreed. And FWIW, I think the recruitment team do a great job. But we can't ignore the mistakes.

I can. We’ve had 40 players come to the club in the Premier League years. Locadia and Jahanbaksh are the only major clangers. I make that 5%.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Are people really trying to airbrush out of history the £30m we wasted on Locadia and Jahanbaksh? ???
Difficult to brush over that and then laugh at £20m for Brewster in the next breath.

Propper was £15m. Great signing IMHO, solid player for 3 seasons.
Trossard £18m. Decent
Webster £20m. Decent

I think our recruitment team does a great job and they've unearthed some absolute gems. We've spent a decent amount of money in doing so, seen a couple of threads trying to rewrite this fact and it bugs me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here