Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Blue Plaques Ever Lived Near One?

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
the only one I can recall is

Sir Ernest Shackleton in Eastbourne

Apparently he lived in Milnthorpe Road for 6 years

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was brought up in Moulsecoomb where there was a blue plaque to Havergal Brian a couple of streets away.

When a lived in Tooting there was a blue plaque to Gus Elen about a quarter of a mile away.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I live very near to Dame Flora Robson's, put up by the British Film Institute in 1996. This is square-shaped, not circular. It is one of five in the Brighton and Hove area.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There’s two in Albourne that I’ve noticed recently. On different buildings but for the same person. Something to do with bikes, I think.

Edit: Looked it up.

Father of the British cycle industry James Starley 1830-1881 lived at the original Woodbine Cottage until 1846

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Before I moved to a house in Preston park , I lived in a flat in Hove - there were several blue plaques in the roads near me in 1st, 2nd , 3rd Ave , Wilbury road but I sadly can’t remember any of the names !

I miss living in that part of Hove ..

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
IMG_2889.jpg

Noticed this on Old Shoreham Road (quite close to the dump) the other day. Doesn't look like an "official" blue plaque and had never heard of her. Turns out she wrote a book about being a domestic servant that inspired the TV show Upstairs/Downstairs.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
There’s two in Albourne that I’ve noticed recently. On different buildings but for the same person. Something to do with bikes, I think.

Edit: Looked it up.

Father of the British cycle industry James Starley 1830-1881 lived at the original Woodbine Cottage until 1846

Who is my great,great uncle, there is also a statue of him in Coventry,

My Nan (Florence Starley) and grandad lived in Albourne (Barleycroft) for over 70 years,
there’s a big tree at the bottom of barley croft which my Grandad planted.

James Starley (21 April 1830 – 17 June 1881)[1] was an English inventor and father of the bicycle industry. He was one of the most innovative and successful builders of bicycles and tricycles. His inventions include the differential gear and the perfection of the bicycle chain drive.

I’ve always wondered given his importance in the industry why our family wasn’t in any way wealthy?452AFB9D-1743-45FD-B5BE-CBE12C9037DD.jpeg

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
There’s one just up the road from me in Rustington for JM Barrie, creator of Peter Pan.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There are a couple for entertainers I've never heard of on St Aubyn's mansions (on Hove seafront between Maroccos and King Alfred).

Then there is this on Lansdowne Road

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 18.32.09.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was raised in Newhaven and we have the Ho Chi Minh commemorative stone and the Easy E bench.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The building that housed the dentist that I used to attend (at 7 Lushington Road, Eastbourne) has this blue plaque to Lewis Carroll (somewhat ironic that a dental practice is located in a building with plaque on it):-

lewis-carroll.jpg

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
There are a couple for entertainers I've never heard of on St Aubyn's mansions (on Hove seafront between Maroccos and King Alfred).

Vesta Tilley and Dame Clara Butt?

If so, the former was a music hall male impersonator (Burlington Bertie) and the latter was an opera singer.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Vesta Tilley and Dame Clara Butt?

If so, the former was a music hall male impersonator (Burlington Bertie) and the latter was an opera singer.

Ta. As I say I'd never heard of them!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did I imagine that Dusty Springfield had one?

Edit, seems I did, she has one in London

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Who is my great,great uncle, there is also a statue of him in Coventry,

My Nan (Florence Starley) and grandad lived in Albourne (Barleycroft) for over 70 years,
there’s a big tree at the bottom of barley croft which my Grandad planted.

James Starley (21 April 1830 – 17 June 1881)[1] was an English inventor and father of the bicycle industry. He was one of the most innovative and successful builders of bicycles and tricycles. His inventions include the differential gear and the perfection of the bicycle chain drive.

I’ve always wondered given his importance in the industry why our family wasn’t in any way wealthy?View attachment 133758

That’s great. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here