Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] R I P Chick Corea

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
One of the Jazz-Fusion greats at 79 from Cancer.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Sounds like you should borrow one of [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]'s Korean Chicks jazz mags. Huh-hum, R.I.P.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now there's a name I can't remember hearing since the 69s/early 70s (so, no, I'm obviously not a big follower of jazz), but hey, I guess the band up there is getting better and better!
RIP Mr. Corea.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember seeing him in Return to Forever on OGWT in the mid 70s. People often dismiss that pre-punk period as being all about overblown and self-indulgent mega bands but it was also a time when rock audiences were very open to jazz fusion music like this and Weather Report, I think more so than they ever have been since.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can’t claim to know his music but as a music fan I’m acutely aware of his brilliance, significance and contribution. Knowing he was dying he wrote an open letter which I read earlier. The section which stuck with me was him wanting people to take up art, because the world needs artists....but above all its fun.

RIP

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
I remember seeing him in Return to Forever on OGWT in the mid 70s. People often dismiss that pre-punk period as being all about overblown and self-indulgent mega bands but it was also a time when rock audiences were very open to jazz fusion music like this and Weather Report, I think more so than they ever have been since.

Totally this. I first came across him when a friend at Uni bought Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy by his Return to Forever. Great Stuff.

But he was enormously talented and had a very varied back catalogue. Everything he did he did very very well.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Exactly

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As mentioned in my earlier post I’m not familiar with his work....where should I begin? Which album is a good starting point?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
As mentioned in my earlier post I’m not familiar with his work....where should I begin? Which album is a good starting point?

If you want an example of his Fusion style perhaps Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy by Return To Forever. This album also includes early work by bass player Stanley Clarke.
My favourite acoustic piano recording is the duet album with Hiromi. The video of the encounter has the same "tension" as the chess game between Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway in the Thomas Crown Affair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRU1o-sCnqY

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you want an example of his Fusion style perhaps Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy by Return To Forever. This album also includes early work by bass player Stanley Clarke.
My favourite acoustic piano recording is the duet album with Hiromi. The video of the encounter has the same "tension" as the chess game between Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway in the Thomas Crown Affair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRU1o-sCnqY

Thanks. I’ll give this a listen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here