Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Taking a second job

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Has anybody done this?

I'm happy enough in my job, but it isn't all that demanding and I reckon I could moonlight a bit on the quiet. Has anyone got experience of this? My main concern is that I wouldn't have a P45 to pass on, so it would seem pretty easy to spot. But then I thought I could just tell my new employer that I was on a retainer for a small amount of weekend work. Maybe it's all pie in the sky, I don't know. That's why I'm hoping someone on here has experience of this...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I have, but I can’t imagine the level of job I took as the second is the same standard you are looking at....

The only reason either jobs know about the other is because I told them

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I had no problems. I will say though, make sure you still have a healthy work/life balance, otherwise it won't be worth it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Check your main job contract and what it says about second job.

Not sure if a tax code change or similar might alert your employer?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Currently self employed but also do a PAYE job on the side (Hourly Paid Lecturer for a London University) for last 6 years.

As long as your Accountant and HMRC both know there doesn't seem to be an issue?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Has anybody done this?

I'm happy enough in my job, but it isn't all that demanding and I reckon I could moonlight a bit on the quiet. Has anyone got experience of this? My main concern is that I wouldn't have a P45 to pass on, so it would seem pretty easy to spot. But then I thought I could just tell my new employer that I was on a retainer for a small amount of weekend work. Maybe it's all pie in the sky, I don't know. That's why I'm hoping someone on here has experience of this...

Depends on the nature of the second job, I have about six part time ones but they are all freelance rather than regular payroll, so no P45 complications, although IR30 can be messy and you may end up with a P60 annually from some of them.

One option is to set up a service company and operate through that for your alternative employment.

The good thing is that you can butterfly from one alternative job to another quite easily whilst in the knowledge that you have a base salary guaranteed.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I used to deliver chinese on the side

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wouldnt expect onlyfans require a P45.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I did once, many years ago. I had a fulltime day job, then did some evenings doing something completely different. The evening job, about 9 hours a week, taxed me at emergency tax rate, think it was 25%, so I overpaid and got a bit of a rebate at the end of the tax year. I was very young and earning quite low on the main job

Is your concern you dont want them knowing of each other? My evening job knew of my day job but not the other way round IIRC

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Never caused me any issues when I did it years ago. The second employer just taxed me at the standard rate and I didn't inform my main employer. As others have said - just check there is no conflict of interest.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Check you contract and/or policy of your current employer & see what it says about secondary employment.
Regarding the tax, employers have a legal duty to inform HMRC of their employees whether they are liable to pay tax or not. If you use up your tax allowance in your full time job you will pay 20% tax on your part time earnings up to the higher tax band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here