Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle - up the creek?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Based on Callum Wilson's history of injury you can understand why not many clubs were prepared to pay big money for him over a long contract.
If it goes right, fans of other clubs ask "why didn't we sign him?", but if it goes wrong their club is left high and dry with little fire power.

I guess us signing Lallana and Welbeck is in the same kind of territory, I wonder how the three deals were financially constructed as far as length of contract and appearance payments are concerned?

It's a very risky strategy investing in players with injury histories.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ashley's really scuppered if Newcastle go down - he'll never be able to sell the club for the sort of money that he's looking for. He's having enough trouble now, with Newcastle in the PL

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Saint Maximin could save them. He is very exciting to watch.

A skilful and creative player, I'll grant you, but will there be anyone there to finish what he starts?

The weeping and wailing from Tyneside will be dreadful to hear if they do go down. And of course it will be the Premier League's fault for blocking the takeover by the blood-spattered Saudi regime, even if they did no such thing. Several buckets'-worth of popcorn, I think.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'd like to see Newcastle Sheff U and Fulham stay up. Unlikely I know but all good away days. Palace, West Brom and Burnley on the other hand...

Every game I've watched Newcastle this season though they have been awful. I still think the existing bottom three will go down but it does give those three hope.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I bloody hope there are 'up the creek' although to be honest they have been much better their last 3 games

Fed up before then on them spawning a 1-0 victory, courtesy of a later Wilson goal

Feel sorry for their fans though, having to watch that defensive rubbish week after week and grounding out flukey wins more often that not

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
2 months seems optimistic if it’s a torn hamstring? Lamptey has been out for yonks and I thought his hamstring injury was less serious than Wilson’s?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sheff Utd, WBA and Newcastle dropping would be fine with me :)

I'm not entirely sure why, but I have a bit of a soft spot for Sheff U, so I'd actually like them to survive, somehow. West Brom (especially with BFS) can do one though – I can't help but think they pulled the trigger too early with Bilic, so it serves them right.

As for the others? Fulham's relegation would be pretty 'meh' to me, but the Toon going down? It would cause a MELTDOWN among the fans – and that would be quite amusing to watch.

From their current positions (i.e. unlikely for any outsiders to get sucked into it) in the ideal world, I think I'd choose West Brom, Burnley and Newcastle to go down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wilson is their one real goal threat.

Schar is their best defender.

I think they've probably got enough points in the bag to be safe, tbh, but it could at least keep it interesting.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I bloody hope there are 'up the creek' although to be honest they have been much better their last 3 games

Fed up before then on them spawning a 1-0 victory, courtesy of a later Wilson goal

Feel sorry for their fans though, having to watch that defensive rubbish week after week and grounding out flukey wins more often that not

that was us two seasons ago :nono:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
After Everton away this weekend, Fulham have got Burnley, Sheff Yoo and P*l*ce, then Liverpool and Man City. If they can reduce the gap, they've got Toon on the last day.

I reckon the gulf in quality is too big for any of them to escape but t'Blades have got a kind-looking last couple of months on the list.

Also worth noting Fulham have to play Burnley twice.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Don’t think it will matter .... who is going to catch them ? Sheff Utd ?

Despite all the positive talk about Fulham and how they’ve improved... they are still in the bottom 3 of the form table and only picked up 3 points from last 6 games and haven’t won a game since November.

Not sure where they are going to get the points to stay up, despite all the good things being said about them.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm not going to talk about any of the bottom 3 saving themselves or who else might go down till we are safe ourselves. Once we are, I'll be happy to publish my choices.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
50K stadium full of frothing at the mouth VEHEMENT fans? So very far from fukt I'd suggest. Get the next owner right and they could - and probably should - be the next Man City

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm not entirely sure why, but I have a bit of a soft spot for Sheff U, so I'd actually like them to survive, somehow. West Brom (especially with BFS) can do one though – I can't help but think they pulled the trigger too early with Bilic, so it serves them right.

As for the others? Fulham's relegation would be pretty 'meh' to me, but the Toon going down? It would cause a MELTDOWN among the fans – and that would be quite amusing to watch.

From their current positions (i.e. unlikely for any outsiders to get sucked into it) in the ideal world, I think I'd choose West Brom, Burnley and Newcastle to go down.

Burnley are perennial survivors, their style of football suits the players that they have. They won't go down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here