Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] A Facebook privacy tip...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
or if you really care, dont go on facebook, especially on phone.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Isn't this just the same kind of online / ad tracking that happens everywhere, anyway?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And like mentioned - the fact you're already on Facebook means it knows way more around you by now than worrying about your shopping habits online

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
And like mentioned - the fact you're already on Facebook means it knows way more around you by now than worrying about your shopping habits online

And owns everything you put on there (photos, videos etc)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Really don't understand why people get so funny about targeted advertising.

Surely if you wanted a loaf of bread and a newspaper you'd like the first two shops on the high street to be a bakery and a newsagent or at least a signpost to them?!?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
yes, including this website

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] as we speak:

US_Navy_110320-N-8497H-181_Mineman_Seaman_Charles_Bryan_watches_for_contacts_on_the_SPA_256_radar_while_on_watch_in_the_Combat_Directive_Center_abo.jpg

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

Surely if you wanted a loaf of bread and a newspaper you'd like the first two shops on the high street to be a bakery and a newsagent or at least a signpost to them?!?

It's not just targeted advertising. Although this setting appears to be just about that.

People who have worked high up in social media have come off it and say they would never allow their children on it because of the amount of data collected and what they then do with it...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's not just targeted advertising. Although this setting appears to be just about that.

People who have worked high up in social media have come off it and say they would never allow their children on it because of the amount of data collected and what they then do with it...

And what is it they are doing with it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

This.

I honestly couldn't give a stuff about who knows where I am, or what I buy online. And if I put a pic up on Facebook or whatever, then that was my decision to share something that anyone can then see. Now if I was sharing some of the hardcore transsexual snuff pics from my basement, then I might expect a few repercussions somewhere down the line. But other than the danger of boring someone to death with pics of my scale model Spitfire, I fail to see what dire consequences my online footprint could have on me.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Google grassed me up the other day.

"Rate your visit to the Chippy'' pops up on my phone after I'd told the wife I was" nipping out for a sandwich"

Tossers.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
This.

I honestly couldn't give a stuff about who knows where I am, or what I buy online. And if I put a pic up on Facebook or whatever, then that was my decision to share something that anyone can then see. Now if I was sharing some of the hardcore transsexual snuff pics from my basement, then I might expect a few repercussions somewhere down the line. But other than the danger of boring someone to death with pics of my scale model Spitfire, I fail to see what dire consequences my online footprint could have on me.

Ooh, is it remote controlled?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ooh, is it remote controlled?

Nah, its just a 1:72 Airfix jobbie. But it turned out rather nicely.

On that though, I have no concept of how someone could invest hours / weeks / months into carefully constructing a remote controlled plane - and then actually go out somewhere and FLY it. We've all seen the results on You've Been Framed. A soul-destroying catastrophic crash seems utterly inevitable to me.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Seen it. So nothing sinister then.

It's how they program the algorithms to make you see what they want you to see. Or what organisations/governments of the world want people to see in an effort to get you to vote a certain way or be an activist in a certain area. Some people are easily lead like that.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's how they program the algorithms to make you see what they want you to see. Or what organisations/governments of the world want people to see in an effort to get you to vote a certain way or be an activist in a certain area. Some people are easily lead like that.

Clever isn't it.

And why data scientists are paid the big bucks. I had one working for me a while back, he was pretty good to be fair but two years out of uni and earning £800 a day. Nice work if you can get it....kinda wish I'd paid more attention at school.

But still not sinister. The holy grail of marketing regardless of the product you are trying to sell is to try and make a 1to1 relationship with the individual. Everything you do online leaves a digital footprint. Would be daft for those recording that data not to use it to their advantage.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As already mentioned ... the answer is to not use FB or indeed any social media such as Twatter. Personally I really can't see the appeal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here