Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Leicester goal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Didnt watch the game yesterday as I was out drinking, but seen the goal and think there's some harsh reactions against both Walton & Burn.

First of all it should be said that when a team gets a corner in the last 30 seconds of a game, everyone expect them to take their time and move up players. Its really clever from Leicester to take it quickly so you have to give them some credit for that.

pic1.jpg
On this picture you can even see how even some of the Leicester players are surprised. One has his back turned against the goal, another one is looking to see if the midfielders/defenders are coming forward.

Iheanacho is one of the few who is aware of the situation. He knows that no one has spotted him, not a single player turned their head in that direction and everyone is simply unaware of his existence.

pic2.jpg

BDB is the first Albion player who stops watching the ball and actually looks what is around him. The first thing he sees is their no 33 unmarked in a dangerous position.

pic3.jpg

BDB takes a few steps forward to challenge the unmarked player when he discovers that the cross is actually coming in behind him.

When he goes up to try to head the ball away, he still doesnt know about Iheanacho and just like the rest of the players he gets surprised that there's a Leicester player there.

So what to make out of it? Of course the players should know where there opponents are but none of them are because everyone is ball watching. Its a collective mistake. BDB is doing the right thing to try to challenge the unmarked player (33) he discovers, Walton is not optimally placed but considering he has no knowledge of what is on the far post he probably sees little reason to come out for the ball. Its hard to point out these more than others when there are eleven sets of eyes on the pitch.

Watching the area is everyones responsibility, BDB just happens to be closest and Walton just happens to be the goalkeeper, but they are not "less aware" or "less awake" than anyone else

For me the goal is a brilliant move from Leicester. In the best of worlds the players would gather themselves in the 3 seconds they have, but its difficult to expect it when in a similar situation they 99 out of 100 times got 20-30 seconds to position themselves and scan the area. No reason for witch hunts though - its a brilliant move from Tielemans, Iheanacho and the corner taker, showing why Leicester is one of the best teams in the country.

Shit happens. Better luck against Villa.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It’s the defenders job to be switched on for the whole game we switched off when we had more than enough players in the box to defend it so no excuses for that sloppy goal.

I am not going to beat the team up about it as my immediate reaction when the goal went in was that was preferable to extra time given the volume of games of late. But let’s not try and gloss over what was a poor piece of defending.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Plenty of times this season, we've not been alive to a quick short corner. This time we didn't get away with it

The reason Burn didn't know about Iheanacho is because he switched off for a second. He's not the only one, but a second is all it takes against these players

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ten Albion players in the box and not one of them switched on :rolleyes:

Arguably that is correct but its difficult to expect the unexpected for 94 minutes. Thats how goals are sometimes scored in football.

It’s the defenders job to be switched on for the whole game we switched off when we had more than enough players in the box to defend it so no excuses for that sloppy goal.

I am not going to beat the team up about it as my immediate reaction when the goal went in was that was preferable to extra time given the volume of games of late. But let’s not try and gloss over what was a poor piece of defending.

All goals in football are scored from mistakes/sloppyness/poor defending. There is no goal that cant be prevented by someone doing something better. Thats the game.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
You get Championship defending from a Championship Defender (Burn).
As initial post stated Burn was the nearest defender to the scorer.
He made the decision that someone on the edge of the box was more dangerous than someone in the 6 yard box.

Like Ryan he does not suit Potterball style and should not be first choice.
A guy who is 6.5 who rarely wins a header anywhere on the pitch.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He made the decision that someone on the edge of the box was more dangerous than someone in the 6 yard box.

eh..:mad:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
All goals in football are scored from mistakes/sloppyness/poor defending. There is no goal that cant be prevented by someone doing something better. Thats the game.

That’s not true is it there are numerous examples of ‘unstoppable goals’ however this one was certainly in the very preventable category.

It was a mistake but your opening post was trying to suggest ‘clever attacking’ or that players were not to blame which is not the case. We had the numbers in the box but nobody took ownership of picking up the Leicester players. There is no need to over analyse what was a obvious error and just hold our hands up and admit that it was poor defending. I imagine the manager and players will all be saying the same when they watch it back.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

He decided that someone on the edge of the box was more dangerous than the player he didnt know existed. I'd say its a fairly normal behaviour.

Agree he doesnt fit into the style and shouldnt be first choice but with the lack of options it is what it is. Still not a poor defender though.

As for "not winning headers", he was in the top 10 most headers in PL last season and he is this season winning 4.4 headers per 90 minutes while only losing 2.2, some of the best stats in the league.:shrug:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Dan Burn generally wins more headers than anyone on the pitch.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That’s not true is it there are numerous examples of ‘unstoppable goals’ however this one was certainly in the very preventable category.

It was a mistake but your opening post was trying to suggest ‘clever attacking’ or that players were not to blame which is not the case. We had the numbers in the box but nobody took ownership of picking up the Leicester players. There is no need to over analyse what was a obvious error and just hold our hands up and admit that it was poor defending. I imagine the manager and players will all be saying the same when they watch it back.

Give me one example and I'll find a player who either lost possession to give the other team the ball, someone who could have closed down someone at some point in the build up, someone who could have been slightly better positioned... there's always something you can do better if you concede a goal.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
In the first picture as the corner was taken there were 7 players inside the six-yard box. 2 more in the penalty area.

In the third as the ball was crossed in after the short corner there were still 4 in the six-yard box with BDB a foot outside.

The four other players were moving toward the ball at that time. Not one of those in the box moved toward any of the Leicester players. Not one. They were ALL watching the ball. All 9 of them.

There were four - FOUR, I say again FOUR - Leicester players standing totally unmarked within shooting or heading distance of the goal, in great goalscoring positions. And not one of our players looking at any of them or moving toward any of them.

A gift. Any of those four Leicester players could have received the ball and scored.

We were asleep. Beaten by cunning foxes.

Is that what zonal marking is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here