Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "You're French, and you know you are..."

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Random, I know, but... a fun little map showing areas closer to a neighbouring country than the UK's capital.

map.png

Via https://jonn.substack.com/p/groundhogday

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Living where we do I feel I have more in common with the French , Belgians, Dutch and Irish than I do most of England.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I've always suspected I might be part French. It's when I realised I could cook I first started wondering, the wine just confirmed it :down:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quoi?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Living where we do I feel I have more in common with the French , Belgians, Dutch and Irish than I do most of England.
Why? No historic shared language and most of our history have been fighting one or other of them. They certainly didn't feel a great affinity with us either. And Ireland for instance is very much further than most of England is.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why? No historic shared language and most of our history have been fighting one or other of them. They certainly didn't feel a great affinity with us either. And Ireland for instance is very much further than most of England is.

I know what Zefarelly is talking about, and would certainly feel more at home living in Scotland or Ireland than most of the North or Midlands.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

That, IMO is an archaic view, certainly since the second world war things have changed, a lot, at least in reality if not in peoples heads. I guess it's where I've travelled and who I've worked with over the years, as well as the influence of what's on my door step.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That, IMO is an archaic view, certainly since the second world war things have changed, a lot, at least in reality if not in peoples heads. I guess it's where I've travelled and who I've worked with over the years, as well as the influence of what's on my door step.
Fair enough. I like all of those countries and have had and have friends from them as well. However being married to a northerner and having lived up there for a long time, my experience is that although there are differences, there are far more similarities than differences, especially when compared to continental Europeans.

Ireland I found different, whilst I loved the place and people, in some parts I certainly felt hostility towards the English. Understandable but still a sad thing.

Btw the view was archaic as it referred to our and their history. That's why I said the word history. I think history still has a role to play and if you think the south of England has more in common with those countries then I belong you are mistaken.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I know what Zefarelly is talking about, and would certainly feel more at home living in Scotland or Ireland than most of the North or Midlands.
Why? I would love to live in the Highlands but suspect it may be tiresome for an Englishman living in a city in Scotland given the rise in racism towards the English up there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here