Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Parking fine advice required

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I received a PCN in December 2017 from Britannia Parking. Basically my wife had parked in a multi-storey car park to do some Christmas shopping, she paid for all day parking (or thought she had), but received a letter from Britannia saying she hadn’t paid for the duration of her parking. The tariff was £1.80 for 3 hours and £3.50 for all day, but we were given evidence that she had only paid £3.00 and had stayed for 4 hours. I appealed, stating that it was clearly not her intention to pay for 3 hours parking, if that was the case, why would she have overpaid by £1.20 and I suggested that the additional 50p must have got stuck in the payment machine without her realising. My appeal was rejected on the grounds that it was her responsibility to check that she had paid for the relevant parking. Based on previous advice (both from NSC and moneysavingexpert) I politely explained that I didn’t believe the fine was reasonable. There have been a series of law firms that have written to us over the course of the last 3 years, each time I have responded similarly. I was at one point also provided with the data from the parking machine, which interestingly showed that the person who paid after my wife paid £4 (rather than the £3.50 tariff for all day parking). Unfortunately we haven’t had any success and today have received a claim form issued by the County Court.

My wife has told me that she’s had enough of my petty games now and wants to pay up, but I am reluctant to fold now. However I don’t want to put her in a position where she ends up with a county court judgment against her. Any ideas what I should do next? I have to act fairly quickly as the county court claim form requires a response within 14 days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the wife wants to pay why stand in her way? Happy wife, happy life?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Weigh up the cost of sucking it up and just paying it, as petty as it is on their part, against the health and welfare/mental wellbeing cost to yourselves if you continue to fight it. Good luck either way.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Whatever you get paid, work it out as an hourly rate and apply it to the time you spend, and have spent, dealing with this. If that "cost" outweighs the fine, pay the fine. Life's too short IMHO.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I received a PCN in December 2017 from Britannia Parking. Basically my wife had parked in a multi-storey car park to do some Christmas shopping, she paid for all day parking (or thought she had), but received a letter from Britannia saying she hadn’t paid for the duration of her parking. The tariff was £1.80 for 3 hours and £3.50 for all day, but we were given evidence that she had only paid £3.00 and had stayed for 4 hours. I appealed, stating that it was clearly not her intention to pay for 3 hours parking, if that was the case, why would she have overpaid by £1.20 and I suggested that the additional 50p must have got stuck in the payment machine without her realising. My appeal was rejected on the grounds that it was her responsibility to check that she had paid for the relevant parking. Based on previous advice (both from NSC and moneysavingexpert) I politely explained that I didn’t believe the fine was reasonable. There have been a series of law firms that have written to us over the course of the last 3 years, each time I have responded similarly. I was at one point also provided with the data from the parking machine, which interestingly showed that the person who paid after my wife paid £4 (rather than the £3.50 tariff for all day parking). Unfortunately we haven’t had any success and today have received a claim form issued by the County Court.

My wife has told me that she’s had enough of my petty games now and wants to pay up, but I am reluctant to fold now. However I don’t want to put her in a position where she ends up with a county court judgment against her. Any ideas what I should do next? I have to act fairly quickly as the county court claim form requires a response within 14 days.

Paging [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] :)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
Aug 24, 2020
Is it actually your decision anyway? Isn't it your wife's decision? You've both had this hanging over you for three years. I'm guessing here, but I suspect that this may be mainly down to you, and not your wife. Now, after three years of aggro, your wife is threatened with a CCJ. Think mortgages, loans, credit cards, mobile phones, tenancies, and yes, employment. All of them could be adversely affected. Let it go, pay up and enjoy the important things in life, like the footie and your marriage.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does 'admitting' to being there now not make fighting it a bit more difficult

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is it actually your decision anyway? Isn't it your wife's decision? You've both had this hanging over you for three years. I'm guessing here, but I suspect that this may be mainly down to you, and not your wife. Now, after three years of aggro, your wife is threatened with a CCJ. Think mortgages, loans, credit cards, mobile phones, tenancies, and yes, employment. All of them could be adversely affected. Let it go, pay up and enjoy the important things in life, like the footie and your marriage.

Again you don’t get a CCJ if the judge decides in their favour you pay the fine, that’s it. If you fail to pay in one months then a CCJ will go on record.

It’s the miss information that causes the fear factor.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Don't pay it just encourages their unscrupulous practices! Firstly don't let them know who the driver was. Secondly if you take this to POPLA you will probably win the case. However, POPLA have suspended all appeals and if you do appeal then the fine is put on hold until they are ready to arbitrate again. I would take advice from Ladygull, who has far more knowledge than me to look at the merits of your case.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I was at one point also provided with the data from the parking machine, which interestingly showed that the person who paid after my wife paid £4 (rather than the £3.50 tariff for all day parking). Unfortunately we haven’t had any success and today have received a claim form issued by the County Court.

I'm not a lawyer, or a judge, but if I was presented with this case and the evidence you've indicated above ... I'd be telling the parking company where to stick their fine.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Whatever you get paid, work it out as an hourly rate and apply it to the time you spend, and have spent, dealing with this. If that "cost" outweighs the fine, pay the fine. Life's too short IMHO.

Absolutely agree. It can be very annoying I accept but life’s too short . Avoid unnecessary stress .

CheeseRolls

Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Given the backlog in the courts this is highly unlikley to get a date set any time soon. This of course works both ways, it will be hanging over you for a very long time, if you can both cope with this.

Should it come to court, the only slim chance they have of winning is if you ignore all the proceedings. Pursuing some poor punter for 50p will not be seen as a good use of court time.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Your wife sounds sensible they have evidence pay and move on.

I need £1000, Please pay me.

Thought not.

Don't give in to bullies.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Regardless of principles, go for the easy life.
I always make sure I'm "Up on the deal in life" in situations like this. As long as your head is happy, you should be.
An example of what I mean;
Recently, I got a fine for driving my car in a bus lane. I paid it. I was £ 30 or whatever it was. I'm now £ 30 down on the deal.
I then think of an occasion or occasions when I've been up on the deal, ie got a nice discount on a purchase. If this is more than the fine, you're "Up on the deal". Happy head, happy you.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
If it was me having gone this far I would have to see it out, they may not even turn up for any hearing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here