Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Chest Feeding

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It appears that more and more children are now bottle fed from birth, were you or your children chest fed by their mother/birthing partner??

???

D

Deleted member 2719

Breast is best and should be mandatory.
Popping your breast out in the open air while your little one suckle constantly is just natural, right?

Is there even one benefit for bottle fed kids and the parents doing it???

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Breast is best and should be mandatory.
Popping your breast out in the open air while your little one suckle constantly is just natural, right?

Is there even one benefit for bottle fed kids and the parents doing it???

Totally stupid comment.

Just once, why can’t you actually think before you post on here......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My eldest nearly starved as my missus didn't produce. After two days of screaming and a pack of her female relatives cooing and saying persevere, I went and got some SMA. Littlun drank three bottles straight off the bat

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Anyone for Bitty ???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My eldest nearly starved as my missus didn't produce. After two days of screaming and a pack of her female relatives cooing and saying persevere, I went and got some SMA. Littlun drank three bottles straight off the bat

sympathies. there's a lot of anxiety and shaming around "breast is best" mantra.

D

Deleted member 2719

What a thick person you are. Some kids don't take. As long as your child is fed, that's all that matters.

You seem to be getting drawn in by some posters who constantly insult people and these guy have not arrived on this thread yet, why feed them?
Is the abuse really needed?

Anyway on topic, I do know that and medical reasons would be exempt.
Your last statement suggests you can feed your child with anything, are you joking.
The best food that people can afford is so important for children.
Breast milk is free and natural for a baby.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Chest feeding?

Is the word 'breast' now sexist and not allowed?

My 2 daughters were BREAST fed, youngest had to be supplemented with a bottle as she was hungry more than my Mrs BREASTS produced.

There we go. Said it 3x.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
You seem to be getting drawn in by some posters who constantly insult people and these guy have not arrived on this thread yet, why feed them?
Is the abuse really needed?

Anyway on topic, I do know that and medical reasons would be exempt.
Your last statement suggests you can feed your child with anything, are you joking.
The best food that people can afford is so important for children.
Breast milk is free and natural for a baby.

Fed is best, not breast is best. If that's formula or breast milk, then whatever the child will take is best.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
3DCAFB03-617D-46BB-A959-A7C65A746D11.jpeg

:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chest feeding?

My 2 daughters were BREAST fed, youngest had to be supplemented with a bottle as she was hungry more than my Mrs BREASTS produced.

There we go. Said it 3x.

And you are right, chest feeding sounds wrong and on this thread is the first time I’ve ever heard it referred to as such :shrug:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
First child was combination fed, 2nd child was exclusively breast fed.

My other half nearly went mad thinking out first born wasn't getting enough from just her and felt massively guilty about it, no doubt fuelled by a midwife in the hospital kicking up a fuss about us having some formula milk on standby just in case he didn't take to it, luckily our health visitor did her best to convince her that fed is best.

2nd child was no bother, straight on and has only had a bottle twice to aid in giving medication.

Breast is best is a mantra that can be extremely damaging to both patent and baby. Breast is best coming from a man is just plain daft.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
sympathies. there's a lot of anxiety and shaming around "breast is best" mantra.

Very well timed thread Crodo as my wife gave birth to our firstborn on Thursday evening and we're currently on the breastfeeding journey. I've been trying to post less on NSC since then but this thread caught my attention!

I definitely don't think there should be shaming beorhthelm around "breast is best", but I do feel there things have almost swung the other way and it's almost taboo to say the hardcore, biological truth that breast milk is the absolute greatest thing for your baby. It is literally tailor made for your individual child and is like an elixir, with so, so, so many benefits and advantages development-wise and attachment-wise. Let alone for the mother - my wife feels euphoric after a good feed.

That doesn't mean that it'll work for everybody, and there are things such as tongue-tie which will make it incredibly difficult for both mother and baby. And for some people's own family dynamics, formula bottle feeding is the best option. But if this "don't put any pressure on yourself to breastfeed" causes mothers to give up at the first hurdle, I worry it's potentially harmful because breastfeeding does take time to perfect and apparently should become easier in a couple of weeks once the baby's neck and head are stronger. My wife is 5 days in and it's going okay - my daughter's weight is great, but the latch could be better. We're completely blessed to live in the same household as her aunt, who was a former breastfeeding counsellor, and the aunt's daughter who has a 4 month old. For her it took a good 6 weeks to completely nail the best position etc. We're receiving so much help and support which is unique, especially in lockdown. I wish all mothers could have access to the support we have had if they wish to pursue breastfeeding.

If my wife begins to struggle, we'll absolutely assess the other options and like another poster said, as long as your baby is fed you're doing a great job. We have back up formula milk downstairs just in case it all goes peak-tongue. I just think that in society's general need today to not make people feel bad, we may be making it taboo to extol the benefits of breastfeeding. I'd like the narrative to be that any kind of feeding is great, but breastfeeding is greater if possible.

To any mothers reading this: apologies if I come across as an arrogant man - after watching my wife give birth I am literally in awe of you women like never before. You are incredible and God is wise as us men could never, ever give birth! I just feel very passionately about child development as I worked in nurseries for a number of years.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Chest feeding?

There we go. Said it 3x.

Nearly but No breasts are not now sexist BB-right-on. This is about the DDunces at RSCH making changes to terms of reference to not exclude transgender chest feeders.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Chest feeding?

There we go. Said it 3x.

this is what the thread is really about, crodo has subtly raised the story B&H health trust is using political correct terms to avoid offending anyone. except everyone else who doesnt think we should force such contrived changes to language. simple physiology means female breasts produce milk, not chests (just muscles) and no amount of inclusivity will change that fact.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
And you are right, chest feeding sounds wrong and on this thread is the first time I’ve ever heard it referred to as such :shrug:

Midwives have been told to say “chestfeeding” instead of “breastfeeding” and to replace the term “mother” with “mother or birthing parent” as part of moves to be more trans-friendly and inclusive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here