Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion in the 5th Round of the FA Cup

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's a relatively rare occurrence for us to progress this far in the FA Cup, and we clearly benefit from the head-start given to top-flight clubs.

1929–30 Newcastle 3-0 Albion
1932–33 West Ham 1-0 Albion
1945–46 Albion 1-10 Derby (over 2 legs)
1959–60 Preston 2-1 Albion
1982–83 Liverpool 1-2 Albion (lost final 4-0 to Man Utd)
1983–84 Watford 3-1 Albion
1985–86 Albion 1-0 Peterborough (lost quarter-final 2-0 to Southampton)
2010–11 Stoke 3-0 Albion
2011–12 Liverpool 6-1 Albion
2013–14 Hull 2-1 Albion
2017–18 Albion 3-1 Coventry (lost quarter-final 2-0 to Man Utd)
2018–19 Albion 2-1 Derby (lost semi-final 1-0 to Man City)

Has anyone attended all eight 5th round ties involving the club since the 1980s?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just the 5 for me

4 wins and 1 defeat to Elton John’s Watford. Didn’t they get to the final that year?

Point of order, we lost the FA cup final REPLAY 4-0 to United

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just the 5 for me

4 wins and 1 defeat to Elton John’s Watford. Didn’t they get to the final that year?

Point of order, we lost the FA cup final REPLAY 4-0 to United

Indeed, and won a REPLAY against Peterborough. I wasn't sure how to incorporate this detail so seem to have ignored it completely!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed, and won a REPLAY against Peterborough. I wasn't sure how to incorporate this detail so seem to have ignored it completely!

Indeed. The Fashanu as Bambi on Ice game where Albion fans decided to have a fight amongst themselves

It was just as cold as today too

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bit of a bummer you going all that way to Newcastle and seeing us lose

Nice try but I was only at Watford for a defeat ( you cheeky ******* :smile:)

I did have the opportunity to go to Liverpool but luckily I was washing my hair that day

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I was annoyed about that one in 2014. Garcia should have put out a stronger side as Hull were there for the taking. We would have had Sunderland at home in the 6th round. A semi-final at the minimum was up for grabs.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I went to both games in 1985-1986
I remember the Southampton crowd were given all of the East stand, or most of it anyway.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I went to both games in 1985-1986
I remember the Southampton crowd were given all of the East stand, or most of it anyway.

Quite the opposite. They were given the away pen and the chicken run section next door to it. Would be and H & S prosecution if that occurred nowadays.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Hull was also a replay but I made it to all the other games home and away. A lot of history there but my favourite match by far was the trip to Anfield in 1983. They hadn't lost at home in the cup since 1969 and it mattered. I was living in London at the time and jumped off the special train as it slowed down going through East Croydon on the way home. I then got spotted by some Nigels - legged it up the ramp and took shelter behind a burly policeman at the barriers. Ah, the good old days, eh?

Worst of all was Stoke ("what's it like to see a pass?").

Hoping we really go for it tomorrow night.

With maybe 50m vaccines having been handed out by Cup Final day (15th May) it could be quite an occasion locally, even if the match itself is behind closed doors.

Ever the optimist!

:albion2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Only 5 or do I get a half point for watching the Hull home game ?

The away leg we watched in a bar in Valencia

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I attended the last five, including the home game against Hull.
The Liverpool game was crazy. We scored 4 goals, just that 3 of them were in the wrong goal.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
So winning tonight means only a 5th FA Cup quarter-final in our history - I hope we give it a real try now that we've amassed enough points for a decent expectation of safety (which is what football is really about :)).

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Those stats just go to show how utterly dismal our record in the cup has been. We very rarely have a shot at the later rounds so we really should embrace it and go for it yet there are still people who will be happy if we get knocked out. Unbelievable!

I understand if we have to make some changes but I really want us to win!

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I was annoyed about that one in 2014. Garcia should have put out a stronger side as Hull were there for the taking. We would have had Sunderland at home in the 6th round. A semi-final at the minimum was up for grabs.

Oh I agree and I spent a fortune on hotels etc

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hull was also a replay but I made it to all the other games home and away. A lot of history there but my favourite match by far was the trip to Anfield in 1983. They hadn't lost at home in the cup since 1969 and it mattered. I was living in London at the time and jumped off the special train as it slowed down going through East Croydon on the way home. I then got spotted by some Nigels - legged it up the ramp and took shelter behind a burly policeman at the barriers. Ah, the good old days, eh?

Worst of all was Stoke ("what's it like to see a pass?").

Hoping we really go for it tomorrow night.

With maybe 50m vaccines having been handed out by Cup Final day (15th May) it could be quite an occasion locally, even if the match itself is behind closed doors.

Ever the optimist!

:albion2:

Indeed, they hadn't lost a home cup tie in any competition since 1974 and as you say, it mattered. The cup was a far better competition then with full teams being fielded rather than a host of reserves and youth players.

Back to the thread, 5 for me as I missed Watford due to illness, and then didn't bother with Hull or Stoke (I'd been to Hull when we won 3-2 in the cup).

Going back to the Peterborough game, wasn't that the one were the ball bounced up off the snow into the goal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here