Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] League One and Two salary cap withdrawn.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
saying its "unlawful and unenforceable" is a cop out. like saying number of players in a team is unlawful. if the FA/FL decide the rules, those are the rules.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
saying its "unlawful and unenforceable" is a cop out. like saying number of players in a team is unlawful. if the FA/FL decide the rules, those are the rules.

How would it work say at a club and let's take Sunderland for an example what do you do with player's on money that takes the club over budget ? After all the player only signed the contract that the club offered.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
How would it work say at a club and let's take Sunderland for an example what do you do with player's on money that takes the club over budget ? After all the player only signed the contract that the club offered.

Under the proposed rules, existing contracts would have been grandfathered in, and the cap pro-rated to exclude those players.

This would have also dealt with teams being relegated from CH to L1 or L1 to L2.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats just a procedure, phase it in as contracts come to an end. my point is there are plenty of rules for football so why decide a salary cap is not allowed to be one?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
thats just a procedure, phase it in as contracts come to an end. my point is there are plenty of rules for football so why decide a salary cap is not allowed to be one?

Just look how Rugby Union got around 'wages' club car,free travel/holidays etc surely that is any club will do ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It's just the PFA putting their oar in. One day they might do something good for football. I won't hold my breath .........................

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Disappointing but unsurprising and totally short sighted by the PFA.

I appreciate they're looking after their members but there's a chance their members might not have many professional clubs to choose from in a few years unless something is done soon. The financial situation in the football league is dire. These clubs will continue to be run into the ground by overly ambitious, stupid, greedy or selfish owners dicing with their clubs future by continuing to pay these extortionate and unsustainable wages in the desperate hope of moving up the ladder.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Trust the PFA!

Harsh

"a decision by an independent arbitration panel"

"The PFA believes it is now in the best interest of the leagues, the clubs, and the players to work together and agree on rules that promote financial stability."

"regulations that were in place during the 2019-20 season and link "player-related expenditure to turnover", have been reinstated by the EFL."

Versus a salary cap, imposed from above, with fines for those who exceed it (except clubs who cheat and get promoted to the EPL, obviously).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here