attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Just to let you know - well done to all involved and thanks to the Russell Martin Foundation :) 139 years of history preserved.
And fittingly we get the news the day after Fans United anniversary - it has been another big community effort albeit on a tiny scale compared to the Albion...

https://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/sp...NESZckdi6mob9Qjd8jVCVyWU5bF0pWkuEmNvqMVFC4O4g

Brilliant news, some great memories for me, particularly as a really young lad with no money watching from the railway footbridge.

I think a chap called Virgo played in goal then, I'm sure he was a mate of my dad's.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I could be wrong here but didn't Southwick play a Fa cup game that kept going to replays in the 80's?

Sure it was to get into the 1st round.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The old ground hit the headlines in 1989, due to a Belfast Kiss.

7180441D-33A7-4AB8-94CA-B33B36F9F0FC.png

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I could be wrong here but didn't Southwick play a Fa cup game that kept going to replays in the 80's?

1986 v Maidstone. Three replays.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Late 80's v Maidstone. Me & my mate set off in my Triumph Herald for one of the away games - got to the outskirts of Brighton only for a little bit of rubber holding a little bit of metal on the carburettor to come off. Didn't know much about cars, so limped home. Cost me 50p to fix the next day, courtesy of Motormate in the Square.

Exciting times!

I think I've got an Argus back page from that cup run ' Wickers World of Joy' or something. And I seem to recall that in the middle of the umpteen replays, we played Chichester City (or someone), who were rumoured to be Maidstone's feeder team (or something), and the team got a right going over from them - so we went on to lose 5-1 in the third replay.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
Was it f*** me I'm sure i was there for the for third replay at Southwick or on the bridge i forget now.

Lost that one 5-1

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Excellent news . Venue for first ever REMF match. An unforgettable emotional night .The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund (REMF) was formed. The principle idea was to hold a charity match and use the money to help fund a junior football club in Robert’s adopted home across the Pond. Later that year the first REMF game took place - a challenge match between Brighton Supporters and Crystal Palace Supporters in front of more than 1,000 fans – with the team of Brighton Supporters losing on penalties. Yes, THAT Crystal Palace. Rivalries were put aside in Robert’s name and thousands of pounds was raised.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just to let you know - well done to all involved and thanks to the Russell Martin Foundation :) 139 years of history preserved.
And fittingly we get the news the day after Fans United anniversary - it has been another big community effort albeit on a tiny scale compared to the Albion...

https://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/sp...NESZckdi6mob9Qjd8jVCVyWU5bF0pWkuEmNvqMVFC4O4g

Great news [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] and likely result being that Southwick FC is likely to continue.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The old ground hit the headlines in 1989, due to a Belfast Kiss.

View attachment 133614

For those who weren’t at the game, Gerry played for a very young reserve side who got kicked to bits by a bunch of old crocks posing as Southwick FC. The referee did nothing, so Gerry got to boiling point and got himself sent off standing up for another youngster who had been hacked. Then some tit on the crowd thought it a good idea to goad him further on his way to the changing rooms. Good on GA and bad on whoever took it to court. Shame the club didn’t stand up for him a bit more by refusing his resignation.
Whilst we have a decent community package going at the moment, brought around by needing to have ammunition for planning permission, GA did loads for the community at a time when he could have just put his feet up.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
The recipient of the headbutt is well known to many on here :)
It is really great news after 20 years of decline.
The future of Southwick 1882, reborn from the ashes of the old club, is indeed secure. The team is top of the Mid Sussex League Championship with eight wins out of eight and set to return to Old Barn Way in the autumn. If the season is restarted we're obviously pretty confident that the Wickers will return playing affiliated football next season, but obviously there are far more important considerations at the moment health wise, and the future of this season is currently unknown .

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For those who weren’t at the game, Gerry played for a very young reserve side who got kicked to bits by a bunch of old crocks posing as Southwick FC. The referee did nothing, so Gerry got to boiling point and got himself sent off standing up for another youngster who had been hacked. Then some tit on the crowd thought it a good idea to goad him further on his way to the changing rooms. Good on GA and bad on whoever took it to court. Shame the club didn’t stand up for him a bit more by refusing his resignation.
Whilst we have a decent community package going at the moment, brought around by needing to have ammunition for planning permission, GA did loads for the community at a time when he could have just put his feet up.

I liked and still like GA btw. He dealt with a mouthy gobshite.

A legend who scored that famous goal that ruined Spain’s home WC.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
So incensed by it all, Gulls Eye offered to pay his legal bills when he appeared at Steyning Magistrates.

Being old school Gerry sent us a hand written note thanking us but stating it was down to him to pay for everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here