Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garth Crooks team of the week

scooter1

How soon is now?
Dunk: You can't go for very long talking about any kind of Brighton success without mentioning the name of Lewis Dunk. Against Liverpool his defending, or should I say blocking of shots, was once again magnificent, as Brighton secured their first victory at Anfield since 1983.

Three days later, the Seagulls returned to the north-west of England and proceeded to play Burnley off the park. Dunk scored a terrific header but his team only left with a point. It didn't do justice to Brighton's performance - or that of their captain.

Fair enough about Liverpool, and great for Dunk to get further recognition(even though Webster was possibly better). But apparently we played Burnley off the park... What game was Garth watching?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Burnley were slightly better and we had an off day for several obvious reasons. Def didn’t play them off park, but a draw was fair really.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Dunk was good v Burnley, but Crooks has embellished the overall team performance a fair bit.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Ian Wright also said on MotD that we played Burnley off the park. I actually agree that we did first half and tgen the tide was turned at half time. Perhaps they only watched the first half.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The man is clearly a clown, even in the first half we were lucky to be 1-0 up.

Although we were the only team actually playing football, what Burnley play is more akin to Rugby, with UFC rules.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He probably got a text message or something telling him that Brighton won vs Liverpool and felt I had to pick the only Brighton player he's heard of. Its obvious he didnt see the Burnley game and its also quite likely he didnt see the Liverpool game as there's no Webster in his eleven.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that Garth Crooks simply doesn't watch games, just comments on results, and that's sufficient journalism quality for the bbc. If he'd chosen Sanchez as goalie of the week, I might have thought otherwise.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that Garth Crooks simply doesn't watch games, just comments on results, and that's sufficient journalism quality for the bbc. If he'd chosen Sanchez as goalie of the week, I might have thought otherwise.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I agree, he and other football pundits, don't put the yards in watching full games.
It's like most things in life if you want to complete a good job to a high standard you do some, preparation, preparation, and more preparation.
Lazyness is clearly following him around.
He is just another BBC employee that should be binned off imo.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Crooks has always been a total bell cheese. He's your typical lazy football journalist/pundit who waxes lyrical about household names and doesn't seem to pay much attention to any teams outside the big 6, except possibly the other two gigantic names in football, Leeds and Villa.
I never pay the slightest bit of attention to anything he has to say as it's usually just something he's overheard and decided to write about it claiming it's all his idea.

Ian Wright also said on MotD that we played Burnley off the park. I actually agree that we did first half and tgen the tide was turned at half time. Perhaps they only watched the first half.

Yes, I think Wright and Garth were meaning in football terms we played them off the park with our passing and build up play rather than the long ball and harassing pressing style Burnley played. Also the 5 live reporter several times during the 2nd half which Burnley dominated commented that Brighton were still playing proper football.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Should be Sanchez. He gives confidence to the defence. Ryan does the exact opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s picked the Villa keeper on the strength of the only save he made when Ryan at the other end made several good saves and kept Arsenal in the game. Both Sanchez and Ryan had better performances than the Villa keeper (not that he was poor he just had very little to do). More proof that Crooks has only looked at the headlines.

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
Seems you guys weren't actually watching the game either tbf.

Burnley played both fewer total but more accurate long balls than Brighton in both halves. Whilst also playing both more total and more accurate short passes in both halves. More dribbles, more shots, more chances created and so on. In both halves. Don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative though...

20210209_123447.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Burnley played both fewer total but more accurate long balls than Brighton in both halves. Whilst also playing both more total and more accurate short passes in both halves. More dribbles, more shots, more chances created and so on. In both halves. Don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative though...

View attachment 133608

And dont forget about "more elbows and two-footed dirty tackles"...

Agree Burnley were better in most ways though and that they actually played pretty decent football and a wise choice from Dyche to have his team play a bit more brave and composed than usual against a Brighton he knew was tired in bodies and brains.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

View attachment 133608

You seem quite upset to be posting stats about a drawn game 3 days ago on a rival fans forum, when the thread is simply taking the piss out of Garth Crooks's ineptitude!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Garth Crooks hasn't got a clue what hes talking about and this confirms it.

The first half was fairly even, although Burnley got at us down the right hand side, Lowton especially causing us problems, you could argue we edged it because of the goal, but second half I don't think we have been under so much pressure all game.

Crooks hasn't watched the game, he clearly looks at previous performances from both teams and has had a guess at the outcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here