Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Covid Quarantine Hotels - Why only 33 countries?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So next week incoming passengers from 33 countries will need to quarantine into hotels for 10 days.

This covers around only 7% of the daily 21,000 entering the country. The mutant Covid strains are already everywhere and people will try and transit to other countries to evade quarantines.

Does anyone think this going to work? Surely we need to go full quarantine "Australia style" or not bother at all

The mutant strains are a massive threat to the sterling work done to get to vaccine out to the population. If we're not careful we could be back to square one

We're an island, this is a massive advantage. To me full border control for a few months following by gradual easing to safe countries to the only way out to some sort of normality

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well yes.

It stands to reason that when variants are the biggest risk to the vaccine program failing that we don't have people coming and going from the country.

The government say they can't totally shut things down, but that misses the point. Anyone coming into the country who is driving a truck or unloading a boat or whatever can be tested and/or an exemption given

I have no idea what the legitimate reasons for flights still coming and leaving the country are when it's illegal to leave your house. I'm sure "business trip" will account for many.

This doesn't just apply to us. No country should have large numbers of people crossing borders.

The government risks undoing it's good vaccine work with their handling of the border issue.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well yes.

It stands to reason that when variants are the biggest risk to the vaccine program failing that we don't have people coming and going from the country.

The government say they can't totally shut things down, but that misses the point. Anyone coming into the country who is driving a truck or unloading a boat or whatever can be tested and/or an exemption given

I have no idea what the legitimate reasons for flights still coming and leaving the country are when it's illegal to leave your house. I'm sure "business trip" will account for many.

This doesn't just apply to us. No country should have large numbers of people crossing borders.

The government risks undoing it's good vaccine work with their handling of the border issue.

Obviously freight will need to be given an exemption but as things stand they don't even need a Covid test, even if they've driven from Portugal the RED country.

Only 1 country in the current top 10 for infections is on the list of 33...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they dont want to shut down the air industry, which enforced quarantine would do as no bugger will fly in. which of course is the point of full quarantine. its a difficult balance, keeping some flights keeps a lot ticking over.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So next week incoming passengers from 33 countries will need to quarantine into hotels for 10 days.

This covers around only 7% of the daily 21,000 entering the country. The mutant Covid strains are already everywhere and people will try and transit to other countries to evade quarantines.

Does anyone think this going to work? Surely we need to go full quarantine "Australia style" or not bother at all

The mutant strains are a massive threat to the sterling work done to get to vaccine out to the population. If we're not careful we could be back to square one

We're an island, this is a massive advantage. To me full border control for a few months following by gradual easing to safe countries to the only way out to some sort of normality

You are vastly over estimating how many passenger flights there are at the moment, Ive enjoyed people posting the LHR arrivals list - a large percentage are cargo only

Plus to get near a plane that is heading towards the UK you have to have a clear PCR test,

If you shut the boarder completely, it wont be a few months.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
they dont want to shut down the air industry, which enforced quarantine would do as no bugger will fly in. which of course is the point of full quarantine. its a difficult balance, keeping some flights keeps a lot ticking over.

Yeh, the infection rate

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You are vastly over estimating how many passenger flights there are at the moment, Ive enjoyed people posting the LHR arrivals list - a large percentage are cargo only

Plus to get near a plane that is heading towards the UK you have to have a clear PCR test,

If you shut the boarder completely, it wont be a few months.

I don't think you even need to pass a PCR, a lateral flow test will suffice - not great for picking up asymptomatic cases

I'm not saying we should try for zero covid but we need to get thing down to low level to allow track and trace to actually work

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't think you even need to pass a PCR, a lateral flow test will suffice - not great for picking up asymptomatic cases

I'm not saying we should try for zero covid but we need to get thing down to low level to allow track and trace to actually work

You are right - but

You will need to find a test provider. You must make sure that the test provider can meet the standards for pre-departure testing.

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

Out of those 33 countries, I think there is something like 6 places that actually has direct flights when the change was announced.

Its a complete people pleaser - as was banning flights from South America, how can you ban something there isnt?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Please explain how someone with a clear test before travel (both directions and some in resort) is likely to increase the infection rate?

It's all to do with keeping out variants.

The ones that have arrived in the country, have evaded the defences you've quoted. The testing just isn't at a level where we can take the risk.

At the moment, travel between and within countries shouldn't be happening. The last thing we want is people cris-crossing around.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

The ones that have arrived in the country, have evaded the defences you've quoted. The testing just isn't at a level where we can take the risk.

At the moment, travel between and within countries shouldn't be happening. The last thing we want is people cris-crossing around.

Evading a test? this was only brought in a few weeks ago - the variant was in uk before it was brought in.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not a single hotel has actually been signed up yet.

[tweet]1358763149671948288[/tweet]

[tweet]1358761994292240385[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The defences just aren't good enough

Once you've passed immigration at Heathrow that's it you're free to go, that's the last you will ever hear from anyone

Jump to the Heathrow Express into London and unless you've got a nosey neighbour you're unlikely to get caught

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
10 years in jail for lying about coming from a red list country.

I must admit, I just laughed at the people lapping this up with zero knowledge of what flights are flying at the moment.

The Government is really playing an absolute blinder at getting the public to blame the public.

I’m all for restrictions, more importantly the airlines/airports have been calling for this since April which was ignored

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
£1700 to stay in the Hotel Quarantine.

what seems to be the more important and bigger issue is simply checking and instructing people to self isolate at home on arrival. seems there's zero provision for even registering people have arrived, so local plod can go round and check. i know we dont like authoritarian controls in these parts but without any attempt to apply rules they arent going to be followed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How about everybody just stops travelling around the world for like five minutes, seems a lot easier than all this hassle.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
10 years in jail for lying about coming from a red list country.

I must admit, I just laughed at the people lapping this up with zero knowledge of what flights are flying at the moment.

The Government is really playing an absolute blinder at getting the public to blame the public.

I’m all for restrictions, more importantly the airlines/airports have been calling for this since April which was ignored

OK 10 years in jail for the 6-7% of arrivals coming from red countries. Nice headline Priti...

But, what's the penalty for the other 93% of arrival failing to isolate and get tests? Will there be a fully traceable system in place for these arrivals?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
OK 10 years in jail for the 6-7% of arrivals coming from red countries. Nice headline Priti...

But, what's the penalty for the other 93% of arrival failing to isolate and get tests? Will there be a fully traceable system in place for these arrivals?

100 people have traveled from Brazil with an end destination of the U.K. since Oct apparently.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here