Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Death threats to a referee we love to hate

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Oh surely he can take another game off can't he?

I'm sure it's not the first time a ref has been threatened and it does seem typical of Mike Dean's "look at me - it's all about me" attitude to the game that he is making a big drama out of it. (Anybody who has reffed at local level - even kids games - will know what abuse is really like. It's still a large part of why there are so few qualified refs today).

Dean made two big mistakes. Maybe if he set his arrogance aside for a minute he could have come out and apologised. Are we sure that him missing the PL games was his choice and not the EPL saying "take a rest fella you are losing the plot"?

I don't defend or support direct abuse of players or officials but why not do what that clever young chap Aaron Connolly has done and turn it off?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I can't stand they guy, was at Boro' and am fed up with his theatrical antics .... however, this is going way beyond that and isn't acceptable in any shape or form. Even if he awarded a late penalty against us in a Cup Final or anything else, this isn't acceptable in our game and is extremely unfair and worrying for him and his family

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
4th thread where this is mentioned ....the guy is a fuknut.....perhaps he may be a bit more circumspect in future instead of being an attention whore.

Diablo

Sep 22, 2014
lewes
4th thread where this is mentioned ....the guy is a fuknut.....perhaps he may be a bit more circumspect in future instead of being an attention whore.

Sounds like you support or at least don`t condemn this disgraceful behaviour !! Death threats over a decision in a game of football !!

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh surely he can take another game off can't he?

I'm sure it's not the first time a ref has been threatened and it does seem typical of Mike Dean's "look at me - it's all about me" attitude to the game that he is making a big drama out of it. (Anybody who has reffed at local level - even kids games - will know what abuse is really like. It's still a large part of why there are so few qualified refs today).

Dean made two big mistakes. Maybe if he set his arrogance aside for a minute he could have come out and apologised. Are we sure that him missing the PL games was his choice and not the EPL saying "take a rest fella you are losing the plot"?

I don't defend or support direct abuse of players or officials but why not do what that clever young chap Aaron Connolly has done and turn it off?

Are you off your head? His family received death threats.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can't stand they guy, was at Boro' and am fed up with his theatrical antics .... however, this is going way beyond that and isn't acceptable in any shape or form. Even if he awarded a late penalty against us in a Cup Final or anything else, this isn't acceptable in our game and is extremely unfair and worrying for him and his family

Saved me typing it.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Obviously I agree that death threats made by those keyboard warriors are moronic and infantile in the extreme.

On the subject of Lee Mason and Mike Dean working together ever again, that’s a big NO! They’re not up to the standard of referee we need and make completely shambolic rulings which denigrate our football games.

I think both should take time off, preferably ten to twenty years.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Anyone notice Kavanagh hasn’t been near us since that Man Utd shit show, I wonder if the club made a request.

I seem to remember the club making some pointed enquiry/suggestion regarding time-keeping for matches, a few weeks after the game.
Might have had a PS don't send that **** back to the Amex any time soon.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Everyone should condemn this threat whatever you think of him as a referee.

But are the individual refs the issue personally i don't think so. IMO the issue is the system that allows them to continue IF they are not up to it. There is enough video evidence around and surely stats are collected.

Now putting my conspiracy cap on , possibly the more contentious decisions become then the more likely the TV audience to react and increase interest in the televised game. I am quite sure there are plenty of armchair, sort of neutral football fans who love VAR.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
How come he is still ok to ref Wednesday then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here