Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Legends a matter of debate?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
There's a young lad on FB currently compiling a list of Albion Legends.

Yesterday he first came out with the question, should Kupiers, Stockdale or Ryan be classed as legends?

He then asked for defender suggestions, I said Gall and he sent me a PM back, whose Gall?

It really is all subjective, IMHO surely a legends roster has to go right back to 1901?

Another talking point, to my mind Vicente, is not an Albion legend, more an all too brief cameo.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Whether or not certain players are legends or not really just depends on how long you want the list of legends to be.

Oh, and Gotsmanov by the way.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Most things in life are entirely subjective... each generation has their own Beatles, Beethoven, Chopin and Peter Smith.

Indeed to me, the team that took to the pitch vs Hereford are all legends... from Ormerod to Reinelt to a man: legends... again to me as an impressionable 12 year old (or so) Kurt Nogan remains my favourite ever player - as ridiculous as that reads, it’s sewn into my Albion DNA and thus heartfelt and unavoidable ... The likes of Minton and Mundee too, in my time - simply legendary.

So legends yes, entirely subjective.

Right now, Lewis Dunk is our genuine playing legend, Glenn too has to be up there ... those that transcend those brief years of youthful first flush of love are a rare breed indeed.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There are only two Brighton legends in my time supporting the club (late 80s)

Lewis Dunk and Bobby Zamora

You can't go throwing the word legend around willy nilly.

Legend means just that. Fathers will whisper tales of their heroic deeds to their sons for generations to come.

We've had other wonderful players in this time. Kuipers, Bruno, Nelson, Knocky, Muzza ...... Several from our current squad. Only two players who Brighton fans will still speak of in 100 years though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Far too many plays are classified as legends, in my book it should restricted to an elite few, not every Tom, Dick, and Gary Dicker, the last of whom my friend Hugo insists on calling a legend.

Tommy Cook l regard as an Albion legend, so yes to the OP, the list should most certainly go back to the club's inception.

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Also important to note the difference between a "cult hero" (someone loved by the fans but who didn't achieve a great deal with the club in footballing terms) and a more bona fide legend (who would arguably do both).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Legend means just that. Fathers will whisper tales of their heroic deeds to their sons for generations to come.

We've had other wonderful players in this time. Kuipers, Bruno, Nelson, Knocky, Muzza ...... Several from our current squad. Only two players who Brighton fans will still speak of in 100 years though.

As much as l agree with you that the term legend is way over used, l would still be tempted to have Muzza on my list!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

This all day long, plus Glenn., Knocky an honorary legend for this goading celebration alone:

6A0F99E9-B1AF-465A-A5E3-A6E79A2B6CD6.jpeg

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Appearances & longevity & notable stats (e.g. scorers/clean sheets) plus a category for characters/personalities/memorable moments. Probably need some archive help from the Tim Carder collection(s) because football did exist before Sky

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Personally I think this is incredibly hard on Murray, easily deserves to be talked about in the same terms as Bobby and Dunky IMHO. 100 goals for the club, fired us to the top flight, top scored and kept us up for several seasons thereafter. If Murray's not a club legend then I honestly don't know who is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Far too many plays are classified as legends, in my book it should restricted to an elite few, not every Tom, Dick, and Gary Dicker, the last of whom my friend Hugo insists on calling a legend.

Tommy Cook l regard as an Albion legend, so yes to the OP, the list should most certainly go back to the club's inception.

Not Hugo of the Albion phone in? He was one bizarre chap!

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

Add Peter Ward to that then if that's the criteria for legend.

And Jimmy Case.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally I think this is incredibly hard on Murray, easily deserves to be talked about in the same terms as Bobby and Dunky IMHO. 100 goals for the club, fired us to the top flight, top scored and kept us up for several seasons thereafter. If Murray's not a club legend then I honestly don't know who is.

An incredible player for us I agree. One of the best players i've ever seen in the stripes

I stand by my point though

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Youngsters do some odd stuff on social media but, frankly, so what?

However, IMO it should go back to 1901, though you can only go on written records once it is out of someone's lifetime.

There also shouldn't be too many. In my lifetime I'd maybe only add Ward, Murray, Zamora, Horton, Foster, Reinelt, Mullery, Hughton and Dunk. Plus, of course, Barry Lloyd, Adrian Owers and Mike Trusson :moo:

I'm sure I'm missing plenty from the earlier era I didn't see though :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As much as l agree with you that the term legend is way over used, l would still be tempted to have Muzza on my list!

I want absolutely nothing to do with this thread or anyone on it who is not including Muzza in Albion legends. One of the most ridiculous ideas I have seen on here in all the years I have been racking up far too many posts. If he’s not in it you are going to struggle to fill the fingers of one hand with Albion legends.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
An incredible player for us I agree. One of the best players i've ever seen in the stripes

I stand by my point though

I don't disagree with your point FWIW, and I wouldn't put Knockaert in there under the criteria you mention, but I do believe Murray deserves to be talked about in the same terms as the two you've mentioned.

Still at least we're proving the thread title right...

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Agree with the sentiment but Bruno earns it every much of those you’ve mentioned, arguably Murray too.

As scorer of our first ever top flight goal doesn’t Teddy Maybank warrant a mention? 😃

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I saw that, there's probably an argument for legends being era based. People like Gall, Cook, Napier could and should be considered but a large proportion of fans who may well have been Albion fans all their lives won't be aware of their work other than a few dry statistics.

For me, Vicente shouldn't come close, but I think "best players" and "Legends" aren't always the same thing. Wayne Bridge being another such example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here