Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hgv training/ license

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well for a start it,s Licence and Google online when you do you will have to take your CPC course and probably your G/P practice medical but that could depend on your age ? Further costs could include the type of freight you want to carry like fuel/chemicals etc although for that i would that you would have to have been on the road for a few years ? So first time pass 3K+ ?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Well for a start it,s Licence and Google online when you do you will have to take your CPC course and probably your G/P practice medical but that could depend on your age ? Further costs could include the type of freight you want to carry like fuel/chemicals etc although for that i would that you would have to have been on the road for a few years ? So first time pass 3K+ ?

In other words you don't have a clue :moo:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

It’s. :moo:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Anyone know how much the training is for C+E course and license please?

Really think carefully if you want to get your HGV. 7.5 t licence needed first, DCPC qualification, ( 35 hours bullshit training) card and a drivers digital tachograph card. Then as a newby at is likely to be.

Multidrop work up to 48 hours per week will pay approximately £9 to £11 p/h.
Day work up to 48 hours per week as above.
Tramping, out all week sleeping in lorry,a lot of waiting around approx £25 to £30 thousand a year.
Continental driving, 3 weeks on, 2 weeks off depending on type of work £40 to £50 thousand year.
If you have a family tramping and continental work is probably a no no.
To learn you will be looking at about £3,000. If you do decide to go for it if you hold a manual car licence you can pass your HGV in an automatic and drive a manual HGV. Word of warning, learn in a manual HGV, harder I know, but in the long run you will thank me.
Your next challenge once you have passed is getting a job with a company, many ask for experienced drivers, so you might need to work for an agency first.

A few more things, if you get a job, find out if you keep the same vehicle, you will be amazed how dirty some drivers can be.
If tramping or continental your unit will need to be less than 5 years old, and have a fridge fitted in the cab as a minimum. My truck unit is fitted with double bunk, fridge/freezer, microwave and tv.
Find out if overnight money is played to you in the hand or added to or included in your pay or do you get a card to use.

I have done all the above jobs, but now I mainly do day or tramping work.

Check out Luke Vernon or Dringy on you tube.
Any more advice let me know.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Really think carefully if you want to get your HGV. 7.5 t licence needed first, DCPC qualification, ( 35 hours bullshit training) card and a drivers digital tachograph card. Then as a newby at is likely to be.

Multidrop work up to 48 hours per week will pay approximately £9 to £11 p/h.
Day work up to 48 hours per week as above.
Tramping, out all week sleeping in lorry,a lot of waiting around approx £25 to £30 thousand a year.
Continental driving, 3 weeks on, 2 weeks off depending on type of work £40 to £50 thousand year.
If you have a family tramping and continental work is probably a no no.
To learn you will be looking at about £3,000. If you do decide to go for it if you hold a manual car licence you can pass your HGV in an automatic and drive a manual HGV. Word of warning, learn in a manual HGV, harder I know, but in the long run you will thank me.
Your next challenge once you have passed is getting a job with a company, many ask for experienced drivers, so you might need to work for an agency first.

A few more things, if you get a job, find out if you keep the same vehicle, you will be amazed how dirty some drivers can be.
If tramping or continental your unit will need to be less than 5 years old, and have a fridge fitted in the cab as a minimum. My truck unit is fitted with double bunk, fridge/freezer, microwave and tv.
Find out if overnight money is played to you in the hand or added to or included in your pay or do you get a card to use.

I have done all the above jobs, but now I mainly do day or tramping work.

Check out Luke Vernon or Dringy on you tube.
Any more advice let me know.

Thanks very much I appreciate you taking the time to post

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Thanks very much I appreciate you taking the time to post

No problem mate. I have been lorry driving for over 30 years now, don't get me wrong I love it, but due to do many changes in legislation it hasn't helped. 15 years ago it was decided that all new and existing lorry drivers would need a drivers certificate of professional competence 35 hours worth of training. This needs to be renewed every 5 years, my company do5 x 7 hours of teaching over the 5 year period. Then the working time directive (WTD) to run with along side your normal driving hours rules.

If your good at planning though you should not have any problems. I remember my first continental run, 1 drop in France, 2 in Italy, unfortunately due to bad planning by myself when I got to my second drop in Italy I was late arriving, had to spend from 7 pm Friday evening until 8 am Monday morning on an industrial estate.

Anyway good luck on whatever you decide to do, especially tips to help you, including some advice on the hazard perception test

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
What do you see on the CPC in a few years ? For me actual hands on testing plus in the class rules/regs ?

The problem for me is that some of the trainers know less than the drivers on the course. My first course we were asked how many print rolls should you have in the lorry. My answer was that there is no law on this, the rule is you must be able to provide a printout if asked to, again no law on what that printout is on. I said if I can get a strip of toilet roll in the tachograph unit and it prints out then I am covered.
Trainer disagreed with this saying that you should have 2, one in unit and a spare. I then said that if this is the case then you must carry 3, just in case you were to get say stopped twice and use the one in the unit, you put the spare one in, you don't then have a spare print roll.

He had to double check this, then had to apologise because he had given the wrong answer.
Unfortunately I think the DCPC is here to stay. How many times do we need to be told about driving hours? Surely all lorry drivers should know this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here