Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Running trainers

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hey guys

So it’s my birthday coming up and I struggled to think of anything for Christmas, let alone now, she suggested new running trainers, I’ve not run for a while, as I have an issue with my knee, basically I just need to lose weight before I begin to put pressure on it, so I’ve been walking loads.

Usually I go to the shop by the clock tower for them but obviously that can’t happen as it stands

What would you guys recommend as good trainers to buy as I can’t get out.

Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I’ve always found Asics very comfortable to run in (I get through a lot of trainers).

Depends on the shape of your foot. Nike for narrow feet and adidas and asics for wide feet. I’ve got feet like spades so it’s hard to trust anything I buy on the net. I’ve found the same size (in number) can vary in actual size from make to make. I try and buy what I already have and know will fit me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Usually a trip to a proper shop and a gait analysis, but as you say, it cannot be done at the moment.

I'm a fairly big bloke (over 6ft) and was also overweight when I started running five years ago, so I needed more stability in my shoe, rather than a lightweight one. A trip to Run in Hove got me sorted with a pair of Brooks. I've used those almost exclusively since, though I had a Saucony period because one of my Brooks' pairs fell apart on the outside of the sole really quickly.

I'm back in Brooks now (Adrenaline GTS) and the Saucony series were Guides.

There are a lot more expert runners than me on here though so I'd suggest posting this additionally on the Official Running Thread - the best thread on NSC with lots of advice on everything from a really great community.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Brooks all day long...

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I run in minimalist footwear so if you’re after something a bit ‘different’ try Vibrams or vivobarefoot. If that’s a bit much, I’d echo the shout for Brooks as they were my go to before my switch to ‘barefoot’ running.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I switched to Brooks many years ago and have stuck with them; many of my running friends have done the same. I use their Ghost model which suits my neutral run. I believe the Brooks Glycerine shoe is same as the Ghost but tweaked to adjust for those who overpronate. Both are excellent everyday smooth running shoes.

You can check whether you are neutral or overpronate by looking at the sole of a pair of shoes you currently wear; if there is more wear on a side of the heel you overpronate.

Good luck and be sure to check out the running thread where you will get lots of help and encouragement without any arguments or fish puns!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Good luck and be sure to check out the running thread where you will get lots of help and encouragement without any arguments or fish puns!

Depends on what type of sole you prefer?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
If you are heavier than normal and have knee problems and I assume you are intending running on the road then you need a good stability control shoe with enough suspension for the heavy runner then The Brooks Beast is a shoe that fits that breif however they are not called the beast for nothing as they can provide to much control if your weight or knee problems are only minor, another option worth a look is New Balance range as lots of their shoes are built on a stable platform with a fairly straight last price is often a fairly good guide expect to pay between £90:00 and £120:00

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I would strongly recommend ASICS Gel Nimbus. Been using these for about 14 years. They do a new edition every year. Two important factors, they are deliberately built with additional gel cushion for the heavier runner (me, and you, for now at least) and they have a neutral gait, so your foot will carry straight through, and this should help protect your knees. Alternative would be ASICS Gel Kayano which is a very similar neutral well built shoe. The advice to go and get some gait analysis, you run on a treadmill for a few seconds and a floor mounted camera with super slowmo records your strike point and roll through angle. Honestly, this might cost you up to £75 for this analysis, but it could be the best £75 you’ve ever spent, because if you do under-pronate or over-probate (not strike and roll dead straight) then you will very quickly cause knee problems with the wrong shoe. As soon as things are open again, I would suggest gait analysis, and these good shoes (you can find offers on them, even on the ASICS website) will be about £125. Well worth it, good luck with your running. I am sure all the other Brand recommendations have equal strengths. I have run for years on mine, and 2 of my 3 lads wear ASICS too, one a marathon runner. All the best.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You'll get many different responses - there really is no "best" here that suits everyone.

I have 10 different pairs of shoes that I run in currently - most with different purposes from short snappy runs, long slow runs, really "going for it" runs and off-road splashing-through-the-mud runs. Every single pair is Nike and I won't consider anything else, although I watch a LOT of running vlogs and shoe reviews.

As others have said, some sort of gait analysis is ideal in order to find shoes that support your running style in the right way to try and minimise the chances of injury.

In the absence of that, you might want to consider the Nike CruzrOne at current sale prices if they have your size:

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/cruzrone-shoe-H4dTrQ/CD7307-700
https://www.nike.com/gb/t/cruzrone-shoe-wqlpt4/CD7307-600

(Click on each colour scheme to see the different sizes available)

It's a good introductory shoe for when you might be doing some walking at a keen pace interspersed with some gentle jogging as you get going.

Couple of reviews here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JEYRZPH9lc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQN8qienfks

The Nike Pegasus 37 is a more traditional running shoe, and a classic all-rounder. You can get a few colour schemes at a decent enough price right now too:

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-pegasus-37-running-shoe-mhP3dS/BQ9646-004

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The Brooks Beast used to be the heaviest running shoe on the market, but was great for big guys. I adored my pair and got round London twice in them.

If you've got the budget, the Asics Kayano 27 is a great option for stability. You'd probably get a good deal on some earlier models if you're not worried about colour.

From Adidas, you could consider the Ultraboost 20. Pricey, but an extremely comfortable fit and great traction in wet conditions.

Worth a read:

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/gear/shoes/a776671/best-running-shoes/

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Another over pronater here voting for Brooks Adrenaline.

Try the “wet foot print” test to see if you need support. Google it

Can anyone tell me the difference between Brooks Ghost and adrenaline ? Thanks

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Another over pronater here voting for Brooks Adrenaline.

Try the “wet foot print” test to see if you need support. Google it

Can anyone tell me the difference between Brooks Ghost and adrenaline ? Thanks

The Brooks Ghost is considered a neutral shoe and the Adrenaline is a stability shoe, but other than that they are very similar - the upper, midsole, outsole, weight and heel to toe drop (10 mm) are pretty much the same I think.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m pretty sure Kurt from Run would come to you as long as you were reasonably local to check your gait.

He has been delivering me shoes during lockdown, so you could email the shop to see.

Brooks were my first pair and seem to be the go to shoe for many who are starting up. I moved on from Brooks to Hoka but they aren’t for everyone.

That being said if you are carrying a bit of weight the extra cushioning may well preserve the knees.

When you do get them I’d recommend trying to run on grass or off road as much as possible.

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
Brooks for me - the Ghost is a brilliant everyday running shoe. When you add in Brooks’ 90 day no obligation trial, then it makes their stuff a no brainer for me - especially at the moment when, as others have said, you can’t get a gait analysis in person. FWIW I think Brooks has (no doubt other brands do, too) a ‘what’s your shoe?’ set of questions on their website, where you can decide what the best shoe in their range is for you.

(I don’t work for Brooks, by the way)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Very helpful thread, perfect timing as i was intending to search for a pair with the intent to start running again. Went onto Brooks website, helpful page that works out what should work best for you, and also did some measuring of size and width (i thought i had wide feet but it seems not) at healthyfeetstore. Glycerin19 seems best for me. All sorted, new pair arrives in 8-15 days. Thx NSC
:thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here