Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Leon Spinks

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sadly from Prostrate Cancer aged 67.

Younger NSC’ers will rightly say who?, but one of only 5 fighters to beat The Greatest, Muhammad Ali, in February 1978, outpointed him over 15 rounds, although Ali won the title back 7 months later.

Unfortunately Spinks never took to fame and fortune, got ripped off and ended up skint, glass collecting in a bar, his younger brother Michael emulated him by beating Larry Holmes for a version of the title in 1985.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
He did, undisputed welterweight champion and at least one title at light-middle I believe.

RIP Leon.

Just reading up his son was Cory Spinks.

I didn’t realise that Leon switched to wrestling, and reportedly held a ‘version’ of a world title making him only one of two people, Primo Carnera the other, to be both a World boxing and wrestling champion (Although we all know wrestling is pretend 😂)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I didn’t realise that Leon switched to wrestling, and reportedly held a ‘version’ of a world title making him only one of two people, Primo Carnera the other, to be both a World boxing and wrestling champion (Although we all know wrestling is pretend ��)

Pretend, you say? ???

Pallo.jpg

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
RIP Leon, I remember that fight against Ali. I remember Michael fighting Tyson too, June 27 1988. I was in an hotel in Benidorm and they were showing the fight at 2am, the bar closed at 1am so a bought 2 long drinks to tide me over. The fight was delayed until about 5am, the drinks were long gone and 91 seconds later so was the fight. Michael was really a Light-Heavyweight at that time so I should have expected it, Tyson went at him like a pit-bull and he had no chance.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
RIP Leon, I remember that fight against Ali. I remember Michael fighting Tyson too, June 27 1988. I was in an hotel in Benidorm and they were showing the fight at 2am, the bar closed at 1am so a bought 2 long drinks to tide me over. The fight was delayed until about 5am, the drinks were long gone and 91 seconds later so was the fight. Michael was really a Light-Heavyweight at that time so I should have expected it, Tyson went at him like a pit-bull and he had no chance.

Yeah he didn't look like a natural heavyweight and way out of his depth against Tyson in his pomp

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
He made his mark in boxing history.

Died too young, but cancer doesn't care. I hope he did not suffer too much.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yeah he didn't look like a natural heavyweight and way out of his depth against Tyson in his pomp

The other week was the 33rd anniversary of Tyson vs Holmes, at the time Tyson was barely 21 and Holmes was 38, in the build up Tyson was asked “Where do you think you will be when you’re 38?”, he replied Dead or in prison.

So for him to still be here all those years later in a relatively good place is almost heartwarming. 👍

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I didn’t realise that Leon switched to wrestling, and reportedly held a ‘version’ of a world title making him only one of two people, Primo Carnera the other, to be both a World boxing and wrestling champion (Although we all know wrestling is pretend ��)

Wrestling always makes me think of my late mum. She would watch World of Sport regularly back in the 60's and 70's, and hated Mick McManus with a passion, as soon as he walked into the ring, she would attack the tv set with her handbag.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It has to be said that Ali was way past his best at that time, and maybe already showing the first signs of the illness that afflicted him in his later years

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It has to be said that Ali was way past his best at that time, and maybe already showing the first signs of the illness that afflicted him in his later years

Ali was later reported to have said he should have quit after Zaire in 74 and Manila in 75, unfortunately he was a cash cow for Elijah Muhhamed and the Nation of Islam, when he fought Frazier in 75 his entourage ran to 70 hotel rooms.

If he had gone then rather than after the Berbick fight in 1981, his health might have been better?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Ali was later reported to have said he should have quit after Zaire in 74 and Manila in 75, unfortunately he was a cash cow for Elijah Muhhamed and the Nation of Islam, when he fought Frazier in 75 his entourage ran to 70 hotel rooms.

If he had gone then rather than after the Berbick fight in 1981, his health might have been better?

Yes I think so. The Thrilla in Manilla was a savage fight and it is said that both men were never the same again. That would have been the right time to bow out, but Ali fought on for a number of years taking on more punishment as he didn't have the legs or reflexes of when he was in his prime.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
RIP Leon. Goes down in history as being one of Ali's opponents. Deep down he must have known he beat a shadow of a man. He lost to him in the rematch. What an Era of boxing that was.

I read a brilliant article about 5 years back about tracing every opponent Ali faced. It really was a a great read. I have tried to find it to post here but can't. i shall carry on looking.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
When I saw the thread I first thought it was the Villa Goalie then remembered he was Nigel Spinks

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
RIP Leon. Goes down in history as being one of Ali's opponents. Deep down he must have known he beat a shadow of a man. He lost to him in the rematch. What an Era of boxing that was.

I read a brilliant article about 5 years back about tracing every opponent Ali faced. It really was a a great read. I have tried to find it to post here but can't. i shall carry on looking.

I have a book Facing Ali, which gets the stories of a number of his opponents, when this madness is over and we get back to the Amex, more than happy to lend it to you, sorry don't trust the Royal Mail ATM :)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I have a book Facing Ali, which gets the stories of a number of his opponents, when this madness is over and we get back to the Amex, more than happy to lend it to you, sorry don't trust the Royal Mail ATM :)

Hey Lenny Awesome. Very kind offer. It may be some time :) however i am going to look this up. Thanks mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here